Wish me Bon voyage ....again

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Wish me Bon voyage ....again

Postby ozimax on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:01 am

I haven't had much Internet over recent days to view DSLRusers, but in any case I am about to embark on another overseas journey this afternoon. (I flew in from Auckland this morning). I have my trusty Fuji X10 in tow, and hopefully will find something interesting to shoot in LA, Oceanside, Riverside, Atlanta, upstate Michigan, NY, Madrid, Rome and Singapore. Surely there'll be something... :D

I'm hoping to visit Gary's favourite restaurant off the I-5 south of LA, if I can find the original post with directions etc.

I will endeavour to post some images as they come to hand. I'm only taking an ipad this trip so it will be interesting to see how the workflow goes.

Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Wish me Bon voyage ....again

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am

Bon Voyage, may your trip bring you great experiences and many images!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:30 am

ozimax wrote:I'm hoping to visit Gary's favourite restaurant off the I-5 south of LA, if I can find the original post with directions etc.

Lake Forest, head east fro the 605 junction. Just google Bru Bar and Grill before you go, and add it into your dropbox folder. :)

And have a great trip. Stay safe. (we just started booking this years N'Awlins Jazzfest trip. With a starting point of Boston!)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby CraigVTR on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 am

Have a great trip. Will look forward to the shots.
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby ozimax on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:48 am

gstark wrote:
ozimax wrote:I'm hoping to visit Gary's favourite restaurant off the I-5 south of LA, if I can find the original post with directions etc.

Lake Forest, head east fro the 605 junction. Just google Bru Bar and Grill before you go, and add it into your dropbox folder. :)

Done, many thanks Gary.

gstark wrote:And have a great trip. Stay safe. (we just started booking this years N'Awlins Jazzfest trip. With a starting point of Boston!)

N.O. via Boston. That's Irish. Not that I should comment. I am heading from Coffs to LAX via Sydney, Auckland and New Plymouth and now Sydney. Makes no sense except Qantas doesn't fly out of Auckland any more.
ozimax

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 pm

ozimax wrote:
gstark wrote:

Done, many thanks Gary.

My pleasure.

gstark wrote:And have a great trip. Stay safe. (we just started booking this years N'Awlins Jazzfest trip. With a starting point of Boston!)

N.O. via Boston. That's Irish.

:) Not really.

First of all, fares were a little over $1400 for the time we're travelling. Dates are important: Jazzfest starts on April 26; I need to be in town at least one day before, to grab my media creds. Normally I'd leave here on the Saturday prior (Apr 20) but delaying the trip by one day - till the 21st - saved us about $400. Each.

Boston, of course, adds about 2500 miles to the journey, and I do collect FF miles, so the trip is already 20K miles; I need 25K miles in a year to get Silver status, so I'm already mostly there.

Add BOS-MSY-DFW-SEA-WAS-BOS, and I've got another 6K miles, for about $450, plus a chance to catch up with friends in Dallas, and to do a bit of sightseeing along the way. Achievements unlocked. That's not yet set in stone, but looks to be the likely outcome.

Oh yes, the bad news is that our SYD-BOS leg also has a 12 hour layover at LAX.

Which is also the good news: grab a car, do some shopping, wander down to Kanter's, back to LAX in time for the red-eye to BOS.

Makes no sense except Qantas doesn't fly out of Auckland any more.

Which, as a consumer, makes no sense either.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 pm

gstark wrote:Boston, of course, adds about 2500 miles to the journey, and I do collect FF miles, so the trip is already 20K miles; I need 25K miles in a year to get Silver status, so I'm already mostly there

I should be at gold by the end of this trip, unlike my 27 yo son who is perpetually platinum. However, he doesn't use the first class lounge much. He prefers the Chairmans lounge. The rat. :D
ozimax

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Safe trip and have fun :)
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby ozimax on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 am

After 72 hours travel, I finally have made it into Socal (eg Coffs-Sydney-Auckland-New Plymouth-Auckland-Sydney-Los Angeles-SanDiego). I have a few photos to post but I have to figure out the Flickr-on-ipad thing before I can do so, as I have only an ipad with me.
ozimax

Postby ozimax on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:56 am

Apologies Gary for not getting to Bru Bar & Grill even though I drove right past it, but after 72 hours straight travel, I was literally falling asleep on my drive to the San Diego region. (Don't worry, I did pull over several times and power nap.) I just didn't have the energy to stop and enjoy a meal there.

I am now in Atlanta, and enjoyed a nice lunch today at a famous Cajun restaurant in downtown Douglasville. Crawfish and catfish, so at least it resembled N'Awlins a tad.

As for taking photographs, it's still raining. Actually we got a tornado warning this morning, with sirens blaring at some unearthly hour (8.30am :D). A local power worker told me the beginnings of a tornado went straight over the top of Douglasville, but thankfully did not develop.

Heading to snowy Michigan tomorrow, so hopefully some photo opportunities will arise at sometime as I have a few days break from work.

Ozi
ozimax

Return to General Discussion