Harvey Norman IPAD scam - yes I got done....almost

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby surenj on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 pm

<start rant>
<@echoes on> ;)

Dear all,

This is a warning if you are buying ipads from Harvey Norman Stores.

I wanted to get the latest IPAD 32GB (The new IPAD aparently) with WIFI. It was on sale for $600 which I thought was a great price! So I rocked up to the Moore Park Supa Centre store and communicated this to one of the idling sales people. I also took advantage of the recycle ya old computer program which made the price to be $500. Unbelievable really and I wish I had some more old computers lying around!

When I was handed the box, I clearly asked the guy, "This is the LATEST version right?" and he said "Yes". I paid the $500 (original price $650) and got home to find that it has a 30 pin connector for charging. Alarm bells started ringing as I distinctly remember that the "The new IPAD" (What a ridunculous name btw) has a lightening connector which is smaller". So I checked the model number against the Apple website to find that I had been palmed off an IPAD3 which is not the "latest" version.

I went back to the store one day later and returned the IPAD and asked for the latest version instead. The exchange booth guy was amicable and dissapeared inside for about 10 minutes. Then the original sales person also made an appearance. They calmly told me that the WIFI version of the IPAD3 is mostly the same as IPAD4. He also told me that by experience (Apple would never admit to it apparently), the IPAD4 is poorly assembled and the only difference is a slightly faster processor. By this time, fortunately I knew the differences and calmed listened to him rant for about 5 minutes. He even quite unsuccessfully tried to search the internet to show me that the IPAD4 is inferior and in fact I should keep the older version instead of swapping it out.

In the end, he made me feel guilty for swapping out for the latest model (Which I had originally intended to buy) instead of the old version they palmed off to get rid of old stock using an unsuspecting customer. The original sales person didn't even apologize for his 'mistake' and simply said, "Unless you get the 4G sim card version, they are practically the same". At the end of all this, I did return with a "the new IPAD"" for a great price but left a sour taste in my mouth.

I believe the sales people are getting extra benefits for selling these outdated models to unsuspecting customers. In this instance, Apple also made it very difficult to figure out which version it was, using the box, which should really be designed to inform the customer the features and the exact model in a succinct and obvious fashion.

Although I got a great deal from Harvey Norman, it gives me a bad feeling about the state of retail sales in this country.

Harvey Norman, shame on you mate, for cheating Australian buyers. Harvey Norman, shame on you for creating a cheating culture in your stores.

<end rant>
surenj

Re: Harvey Norman IPAD scam - yes I got done....almost

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Sorry to hear you got d**cked around Suren but glad you got what you actually wanted in the end.

It gets worse that Apple marketed the third generation iPad when it came out as "the new iPad" (they specifically officially called it the "new ipad" and NOT iPad3). iPad 4 came out as a small update with the iPhone5 and iPad mini (all with the new lightning dock connector).
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby aim54x on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 pm

Gotta love Hardly Normal....and Crapple.....they are in it together!

Seriously that is a really poor experience, but it is good to hear that you got what you want in the end. Hope you dont feel bad about getting what you paid for.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Steffen on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 pm

You got a good deal there, congratulations!

This table helps to tell what model exactly is in the box from the model number on the sticker: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5452

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:07 pm

If hardly normal were the only computer/audio/video store in the land I would take up knitting :up:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby ozimax on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:24 am

sirhc55 wrote:If hardly normal were the only computer/audio/video store in the land I would take up knitting :up:

What a pearler of an idea. :biglaugh:

As for Suren's experience, glad it turned out OK. I am using the ipad 4 (or whatever it's called) in UK at the moment. Works well except that the camera has permanently frozen. (No more frozen than me, mind you. This place is frigid, as in Arctic. As in, cold.)

However, I would like to post some photos but sending them to Flickr via ipad is a pain, so I will wait until I'm home in a couple of weeks' time.

Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Wink on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:27 am

I don't think that's Harvey Norman's fault or even the stores fault. You just got a bad and shifty salesman.

I wouldn't have listened to all that crap. You didn't get what you paid for. End of story.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby aim54x on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:01 am

Wink wrote:I don't think that's Harvey Norman's fault or even the stores fault. You just got a bad and shifty salesman.

I wouldn't have listened to all that crap. You didn't get what you paid for. End of story.

That is a very good point....shame on that shifty character
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 am

Wink wrote:I don't think that's Harvey Norman's fault or even the stores fault. You just got a bad and shifty salesman.

Who was employed (and presumably trained) by ?

As shitty as this so-called salesperson is, the bullshit and blather should never be endured. Despite the satisfactory outcome, I would still call the store and speak to the manager, and complain about the used-car salesman attitude of his staff.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 am

Similar to when I bought my phone...
It may be an HTC One X but within that varient there are about 6 different releases.
Thus I study everything expensive I buy for weeks before purchase to make sure I have what I want.
In your case it was a brief special so timing was more critical.
Flog ur IPAD and get a standard tablet :)

At least at the end of the day you have exactly what you wanted. Try to push past the experience and shop elsewhere next time :)
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am

gstark wrote:

As shitty as this so-called salesperson is, the bullshit and blather should never be endured. Despite the satisfactory outcome, I would still call the store and speak to the manager, and complain about the used-car salesman attitude of his staff.

Absolute waste of time Gary. The manager would make a token expression to the customer then hi-five the assistant for following the HN way. Rip-off first and if you get away with it, top marks. If the customer comes back to complain make them feel guilty before patronisingly offering them what they paid for in the first place.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:31 am

sirhc55 wrote:
gstark wrote:

Absolute waste of time Gary. The manager would make a token expression to the customer then hi-five the assistant for following the HN way. Rip-off first and if you get away with it, top marks. If the customer comes back to complain make them feel guilty before patronisingly offering them what they paid for in the first place.

Depends.

The last time I complained about/to a hardly Normal store, I had some very interesting results. And a total win on all counts.

And it was also the HN store at Moore Park. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion