How would you......

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

How would you......

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Alright, I've got your attention!! I have been asked to do a family photo for a very particular family who want a particular image. What I want to know is how you - yes you - would go about getting this particular shot the mum desperately wants.

Included in the shot is her husband and kids and their husbands and wifes and kids total in photo : 13
Photo is to be out in the bush with a campfire, they want their faces etc clear and a natural/casual shot of them all hanging out by the fire.

doesn't sound hard but they've had another great local photographer try and fail....... i don't want to fail. My thoughts were to have the shoot at around 4:30-5:30 local time AEST and have them face the direction the sun is setting to capture the last but ever so sweet light on their faces (without them glaring into the sun) and have the fire in front of them, that way I capture the fire but at the same time capture them all in lovely natural light. -kind of hoping the glow wont be too much of an issue from the fire. They want it enlarged to fit a 4m long wall from roof to floor.) So its going to be a massive photo and I would like to do it right. So please tell me how would you do it? Most of you have more experience then I do. I am so used to photographing weddings and children now days so im a but rusty!!

Anyways I hope you all have an opinion and this can cause a great discussion on here. Looking forward to discussing further!! :-)
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: How would you......

Postby aim54x on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Your idea is sound in my opinion.

The glow of the fire will probably help provide a bit more kicker light to fill in their faces. What I would be worried about is having them disappearing into the darkness as the light fades. Not much you can do but to get out there and try. I would recommend packing a flash or two (with a variety of gels) to create your own light/glow if you need to. If you can try to have them against the sky (once again you have the flash to create more fill light if necessary), rather than foliage/trees behind them.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:32 pm

With that many people, why not try from an elevated point of view, looking down on them, around the fire?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm

I would consider shooting from a tripod...perhaps a little later as the light starts to fall. I would use a little fill flash...bounced out of a reflector or off a large white sheet of something. You might have to set exposure to minus 1.3 or some such as digital cameras tend to turn night into day. Arrange the group into classic half circle or triangle shape for best composition. Use around 50 mm of focal length for nice perspective. Leave camera on tripod and shoot further images of fire to blend into final image if the original shots are a bit bland. If possible find a location where you might be able to use large overhanging branches in the background as a frame for the group.
If you are really stressed out about it then scout a location and shoot test shots the night before.
Simples!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks guys, I find it fasinating that you tend to agree with my thoughts, afterall I wasn't sure I was on the right track!! I Was thinking of getting them around in a triangle type shape behind / around the fire and making sure the little kiddies are seated on chairs or standing beside mum or dad on the outside so they don't get lost due to their height etc. Will try get out there and do a mock shoot with some family friends and see what I capture and where I need to improve! I'd always use my tripod for this type of shot, that way if i take multiple images at different exposures it would make layering them easier so to speak.
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Return to General Discussion