Photography as a new language.

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 am

g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Photography as a new language.

Postby Glen on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Interesting article Gary. What struck me is they referred to many new images as disposable, such as where you are eating your meal as a message reply, where only 15 to 20 years ago that would have been unthinkable, mainly due to the fact that film, processing and printing was probably $1 a print.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26 pm

What I found interesting was the general inference that photography "was" one thing and is now "turning into" something else. It suggests that photography cannot be more than one thing to different or even the same people. Making someone totes jelly with an image of my dinner at an amazeballs restaurant does not mean I can not then go and take a long exposure with my 4x5", developed and printed at home in my darkroom.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:54 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:It suggests that photography cannot be more than one thing to different or even the same people.

And that was my immediate reaction to this post as well.

Photography is not becoming a communications medium; it pretty well always has been exactly that. A picture is worth a thousand words, and all that.

But it's also a different form of communications too. Let's consider a scenario: you ask somebody "where are you?"; they respond with an image, and let's say it's of a meal they're eating (or about to eat).

What would be your reaction? The grumpy old man in me would be quite offended: that is not the way to answer my question. But then, I'm becoming an old curmudgeon these days.

Others? I'm truly curious.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:35 pm

gstark wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:It suggests that photography cannot be more than one thing to different or even the same people.

Photography is not becoming a communications medium; it pretty well always has been exactly that. A picture is worth a thousand words, and all that.

But it's also a different form of communications too. Let's consider a scenario: you ask somebody "where are you?"; they respond with an image, and let's say it's of a meal they're eating (or about to eat).

What would be your reaction? The grumpy old man in me would be quite offended: that is not the way to answer my question. But then, I'm becoming an old curmudgeon these days.

"Becoming", Gary? Really?

See, someone sends me a photo of a meal in response to a question of "where are you?" And the response could be interpreted as:

1. I have have been shrunk and now reside atop this tasty meal;
2. I am eating a meal at some establishment at which you are not: nernie;
3. I am eating a meal at some establishment; you should come;
4. I can't be arsed/lack the skills to adequately answer your question.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Matt. K on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Why are human beings snapping and sharing billions of photographs a day? Could it be a deep, instinctive premonition that the planet is doomed from global warming, pollution and over population? Therefore this insane compelling urge to record it now as a way of hanging on to what we desperately want to keep? Just a thought.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby chrisk on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
gstark wrote:

"Becoming", Gary? Really?

See, someone sends me a photo of a meal in response to a question of "where are you?" And the response could be interpreted as:

1. I have have been shrunk and now reside atop this tasty meal;
2. I am eating a meal at some establishment at which you are not: nernie;
3. I am eating a meal at some establishment; you should come;
4. I can't be arsed/lack the skills to adequately answer your question.

wow...overthinking it ?
I just take it as "i'm eating". I think it would make me smile probably.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Return to General Discussion