Fuji XTrans Raw Files and PP detail

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby photohiker on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:06 pm

There are a few Fuji shooters here, so there might be some interest in this.

I've been shooting RAW+Jpg on my XPro since it arrived. Most often, I use the jpg. When I process the RAW in LR I'm lucky to technically match the jpg although there is significant latitude in the file to deal with highlights etc and I just really like the latest incarnation of LR for general PP.

Since day 1, raw files and LR/ACR haven't been the happiest of campers. There was initially an issue of Fuji and Adobe not getting together and sharing information to squeeze the best out of the files which was remedied and steadily improved. These days, there are still differences but they are minor and the initial artifacts visible when pixel peeping are gone. The files print nicely.

What has been lacking is pixel level detail, which has always been a bit strange given the lack of AA filter on the sensor. Despite the amount of latitude in the files, bumping the detail slider just didn't ever get the sort of results expected. It's like they nobbled the detail control because they didn't trust their engine's output from XTrans files. There are a few PS recipes that apparently work reasonably well, but don't work with elements, so no joy for me there.

Recently, several sites have posted that PhotoNinja gave them nice detail on XTrans files. OutbackPhoto was one:

Our standard image organizer and raw converter is Lightroom 5. But there are cases where we prefer to use other raw converters for some images and cameras. For our Nikon D800 and the Fuji X-Trans cameras we really like the details we get from PhotoNinja.

Another was Rico Pfirstinger who seems to bob up on every Fuji related site and forum, including writing the XPert Corner at fujirumors and publishing some "Mastering the XPro1/XE1/etc" books on Amazon.

Unlike Lightroom and the built-in RAW converter, Photo Ninja displays more and better fine detail in the X-M1

So, I downloaded PhotoNinja and gave it a try. Result: Really good detail like not seen before. I opened and tinkered with a few images and that was it. Sold. The PhotoNinja people have sorted a process for external editing from within LR. They also offer an upgrade from NoiseNinja which I already had so the costs were not too bad.

Worth a look, save/render disabled demo available so you can check it out for zip. However, be warned: if you shoot RAW on XTrans, I suspect you will cough up for it. :up:
photohiker

Re: Fuji XTrans Raw Files and PP detail

Postby Matt. K on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:06 pm

I was so hanging out for a decent RAW Fuji convertor....and meanwhile just shot loads of JPGS. Now I'm so used to, and like, the JPGS that I'm not going to bother shooting RAW at all....unless someone can show me an image that demonstrates that RAW is superior and it's worth the bother.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby chrisk on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:12 pm

x2. the jpegs OOC from the Fuji are spot on. have never felt the need to shoot raw.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby ozimax on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:46 pm

+3.

I have PS CS5 and it doesn't open X trans files, so I don't bother shooting raw. Fuji jpgs are excellent IMHO.

I'm liking the XP1 more and more as the weeks pass, especially when attached to the 35mm.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby photohiker on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Yep, I like and use the jpegs too, but sometimes I go to the raw to use the wider exposure latitude, and now the greater detail, especially in foilage shots.
photohiker

Postby photohiker on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:29 am

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I recently came across an interesting guide by Pete Bridgwood on sharpening XTrans raw files in LR 5.6.

At the time of writing, I’m using Lightroom 5.6 to sharpen all my Fuji RAF files and creating exhibition prints up to A1 size without any significant problems.

:shock:

The take home is the detail slider: In normal bayer sensors we can't usually push this very far, but on XTrans we can:

Whereas conventional sensors usually favour a relatively low DETAIL slider setting and risk introduction of artefacts with very high detail settings, for X-Trans files, the reverse is true; they favour a high DETAIL slider setting and do not suffer anywhere near as much from introduction of artefacts. In fact, with X-Trans files, you’ll see more trouble from artefacts (albeit different ones) at lower detail settings. To anyone who has spent time processing conventional (Bayer array sensor) Raw files, this is completely counter-intuitive.

Here's the link: http://petebridgwood.com.gridhosted.co. ... harpening/
photohiker

Postby aim54x on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:00 pm

photohiker wrote:The take home is the detail slider: In normal bayer sensors we can't usually push this very far, but on XTrans we can

this is useful information for anyone using one of these cameras.....have you found anything to get the colour close to the JPGs?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Photo Hiker wrote:
The take home is the detail slider: In normal bayer sensors we can't usually push this very far, but on XTrans we can:

Thanks for that little tip. I usually don't shoot RAW with my Xpro but I will check this out. Might change my shooting style.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby photohiker on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:03 am

aim54x wrote:have you found anything to get the colour close to the JPGs?

Have you tried this?:

It's a mystery to me why these are in Camera Calibration rather than a preset.

I haven't really ever tried to match the jpegs.
photohiker

Postby aim54x on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:12 am

photohiker wrote:

Have you tried this?:

I don't own a Fuji X-camera, but I do own a S5 Pro.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Geoff M on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:31 pm

photohiker wrote:

Have you tried this?:

I have saved them as presets by applying the simulation(s) to a file using 'Camera Calibration' and then saving as a 'user preset' much easier and quicker to then apply to other files and further edit if needed from there.

I have not tried the detail slider, will have to give it a go, although I have never really seen a problem with LR and XTrans. I use LR 100% of the time for my cataloging and processing.

Geoff
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby photohiker on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Good idea about the preset. I guess we should then be able to send the preset to Cameron, but who knows if it work the same for a non-XTrans rawfile...
photohiker

Postby Geoff M on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:34 pm

I have this evening read the article in the link, applied the recommended settings, namely the detail slider, to a few images and it seems to be very effective. I have created a few sharpening presets for both landscapes and portraits and will endeavour to do a little more in the way of experimenting over the coming weeks but envisage that this may well be instrumental in how I will PP in the future. :cheers:
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby aim54x on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:50 am

photohiker wrote:Good idea about the preset. I guess we should then be able to send the preset to Cameron, but who knows if it work the same for a non-XTrans rawfile...

Sadly the SuperCCD SR is a very different beast to the X-Trans.
Cameron
aim54x

Return to General Discussion