Tamron lenses and D70 problem

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tamron lenses and D70 problem

Postby Tony P on Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:26 pm

Dear D70users,
Recently purchased a D70 with the DX lens - great combo.
However, wanted to go longer with a zoom and purchased a Tamron AF28-200 Super Zoom XR. Unable to use this since the D70 comes up with the F----- error on all P,S, and M settings.
Unable to select an aperture in the M setting.
Have checked the aperture lock position and this has been set. ( the manual states that the f numbers should be set to minimum).
Took it back to the suppliers and the lens works fine on another D70 body.

Looks like I have a problem with the lens coupling pins on the D70.
Has anyone seen this problem before.
Best
Tony P
Tony P

TAmron

Postby Killakoala on Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:32 pm

I had this problem with my Tamron Teleconvertor, but after i took it off and put it back on again it worked fine, with the exception that it causes the autofocus to 'hunt' when using the DX lens. My older AF lenses are fine.

This doesn't help you though :(
Killakoala

Re: Tamron lenses and D70 problem

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:54 pm

Tony,

Tony P wrote:Have checked the aperture lock position and this has been set. ( the manual states that the f numbers should be set to minimum).
Took it back to the suppliers and the lens works fine on another D70 body.

Please don't take this comment the wrong way (I have no knowledge of your photographic experience) but you understand that the minimum aperture is maximum numerical value I trust? So f22 or 32 rather than 2.8 or 4. This is a trap for some less experienced users, so perhaps a thought?

I'm presuming that the kit lens works fine, but when you took this Tamron back to the store, did they also permit you test a different instance of the same model on your camera?

What about different Nikkor lenses on your body?

One way or the other you should be able to ascertain whether it's your body or the lens that's at fault, but simply testing the lens on another body isn't quite enough do fully perform that test.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Tamron lenses and the D70 problem

Postby Tony P on Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:41 pm

Dear D70users,
Thanks for the feedback. It appears that the D70 is faulty and off to the doctor. I found that the Tamron lenses worked fine on other bodies but AF lenses did not work on my D70. The 18-70mm was fine.
The error was the F---- designator which prevented the setting of the aperture.
Hopefully, I will get the system back and will post the technical assessment of the problem.

Thanks again
Tony P
Tony P

Return to General Discussion