Alpha's Adventures in Boston, Part 1 (DUW)

What is your personal photographic journey? In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

This is a place where members may share their personal photographic journey. Some of our normal posting rules are suspended within this section. To illustrate you story, for instance, you may post more than the normal 4 or so images. In fact, we actively encourage you to share with us images that illustrate how your photography has changed since you started. So readers with slower connections please be warned that postings made within this section may be - will be - larger than the norm.

Moderator: Moderators

Alpha's Adventures in Boston, Part 1 (DUW)

Postby Alpha_7 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:18 pm

I thought I'd take the time to recount my first trip to Boston during October 05. To set the scene I'd bought my first SLR camera of any sort in April, and well thought my use of it had been limited to Auto, Landscape and portrait mode. I'd stubbled across the DSLR forums (at that stage they were D70users) and realised I had a lot to learn but still didn't really understand the very basics how Aperture affected DOF, shutter speed and sharpness etc I selected 20 Images from my trip and thought I'd do the same with my most recent trip to Boston and present it as part 2 (when I get time).

#1 The first shot is Katie in the street, taken using the "Night Portrait mode" on all accounts the camera did a decent job, but my composition leaves a lot of be desired.
#2 Sometimes I seemed to get lucky and the images came out better then expected, this shot was taken using Wendell's advice at the time which was start at 8 seconds at F8 and work from there, this was taken in manual mode and we were happy with the results.
#3 Just a minute later and again my inexperience shows, camera back in Night Portrait mode and well, Katie is blown, the focus is off.
#4 While I still struggled with the camera controls, and getting out of the shot (my head is in frame top RHS) I did find some interesting angles, unfortunately 18mm just wasn't wide enough for all of this one. Taken again in Night Landscape mode, f5.6, 1.3s ISO 200
#5 Taken with the 70-300G, I had no knowledge of the recipical rule this was taken at 300m, 1/100s in Landscape mode (it wasn't moving so I assumed landscape mode was the best option). Can't tell from the small version but the shot suffered badly from camera shake.
#6 Nothing keeps a photographer snappin more then a healthy breakfast, waffles, strawberries and blue berries Yum! Taken in Auto mode, pop up flash. I always enjoyed taking shots of food with my D70 some of my first shots where of my dinner, overal I was happy with this image.
#7 Again suffering from the misconception that Landscape mode means everything was in focus. I later posted on the forum some of my blurry wildlife images asking why I couldn't get them better in landscape mode, again the forum members helped me out with suggestions. 300m, 1/30s, ISO 200
#8 New and the Old, taken again in landscape mode, 70mm, 1/60
was pretty happy with the results.
#9 Still exploring the city I found lots of great buildings, here an example Landscape mode again, can you tell it was my favourite mode ??
#10 Night landscape mode, and a passing bus, I've seen a much better image like this in London with Big Ben, I liked the affect.
#11 One of my favourite locations on this trip was right next to my office, at the Boston Harbour Hotel, the lighting, the architecture it was all great. Night landscape mode, f5.6, 1/2s
#12 My time spent photographing was mainly early morning, and late at night. This shot was me trying to be "arty" I don't think I really pulled it off, 70mm 1/30, f4.5
#13 Woof Woof, still hadn't been sorted out with the Landscape mode is not for moving targets, this was the only semi sharp shot of the dogs (and it aint that sharp). 300mm, 1/15s, f5.6
#14 Churches and more great architecture (mind the construction). Got brave on this one and went A mode, and upped it to F16, 1/100s @ 70mm
#15 Still in A mode, but using only f4.5, 1/1000s I took the next shot that has to be in my top 10 favourite images from that Boston trip, taken on a Duck tour, which I highly recommend this shot I feel really captures the relaxed atmosphere on the day.
#16 Early mornings at sub-zero temperatures can be hard, as can getting a good self portrait, by the end of the trip I did get better ones, but this one sums up me cold, OOF, and the popup flash, lens hood shadow.
f 3.5, 1/8s, ISO 200
#17 Again Cold, wet and trying to managed a tripod and an umbrella, I was scouting for a spot for the Movement challenge entry, didn't get a decent shot but did find out what causes those lovely green spots. Shot in manual mode at f22 for a nice long light trail.
#18 Arnold Auerbach, this was a reshoot after suggestions of a shallower DOF so I came back and was happy with the improvement.
#19 In the search for a wider view then my 18-70 could afford, I have a dodgey Wide angle adapter and set down rings attached.
#20 Still not always producing the results I wanted this would of been a fine detailed shot, but camera shake lessens the shot. This was taken in A mode, f8 but with a shutter of 1/6 at 70mm, no surprise my Boston shots were so hit and miss.

I hope you enjoyed Part 1,
Alpha_7

Postby big pix on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:15 am

Looking forward to series 2 ....... just to see the improvement.......

....... now the preasure is on :shock: :lol:
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby gstark on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:50 am

What Bernie said, although there's a couple of good shots here anyway.

Thanx for sharing, Craig.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:03 am

An intriguing journey Craig - I too think there are some great shots in there amongst the clangers but it's all about the learning curve. Your subsequent progression and improvement has certainly been noted. :D
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Reschsmooth on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:56 am

Craig, very interesting start to your journey. Looking forward to part 2.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby NeoN on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks for sharing your photographic diary,and your photographic skills at the time Graig,and looking for part 2. I thing the photo of Big Ben is a good one. :)
Cheers NeoN
NeoN

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:48 pm

Craig
Some of these images are the best you have ever posted. Get back there!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: Alpha's Adventures in Boston, Part 1 (DUW)

Postby Pehpsi on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:06 am

Oh Poo, I can't see any images.
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com
Pehpsi

Postby Oneputt on Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:45 am

Likewise no images visible. :evil:
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby stubbsy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:00 pm

Guys - this post is from 15 months ago. The gallery these were in isn't on Craig's photo web site any more.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to Personal Photographic Journeys