Two new methods of ordering gears from Hong Kong Supplies

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Two new methods of ordering gears from Hong Kong Supplies

Postby birddog114 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:58 pm

Hi All,

I have finalized the ordering system with Poon from Hong Kong Supplies last week,

I'm happy to serve all members in this community with all of your requirements and needs of your growing photographic gears in the near future. Due to the nature of my business, I can integrate these transactions with my daily job but I'm not going to take any risk of mucking around with other authorities such as Australian Customs Services and Australian Taxation Office.

From January 05, I have two methods of orders for all gear from Hong Kong Supplies, our preferred supplier.

Method 1:

Under this method of ordering you will be issued a TAX INVOICE from DANCOM ELECTRONICS PTY LTD with its ABN, and including GST. This will be of benefit for members who wish to claim back GST portions of their purchases for their business via BAS or for any members who are going to travel to overseas and are looking for the GST Refunds from TRS at the International Airport.

This method of ordering is guaranteed to be GST trouble free with Customs and other issues, because Dancom will pay GST and other Customs fees at the point of entry.

And your order will be shipped from my base.

Your payment will need to be deposited to DANCOM ELECTRONICS PTY LTD bank account.

If payment made by Mastercard/ Visa or AMEX, there's 4% charge will be applied on the total amount of money of the Tax Invoice.

The advantage points are:

- You have the TAX INVOICE with serial number for insurance and other purposes.
- You can claim your GST input thru BAS or TRS.
- Saves you the potential trouble of dealing with Australian Customs
Services

Method 2:

This way orders will be placed directly through Hong Kong Supplies via me or direct to them with the EFT of your payment into their local bank account. Your order will be shipped direct from Hong Kong by FedEx, UPS or EMS.

This method of ordering may help you to save any portion of GST that may be applied to your imported purchase. Depending upon the declared value of the goods, and/or the whims of the customs agents processing the package, GST may or may not be applied to the package upon arrival in Australia. If Customs decide to apply GST to the transaction, then it's your responsibility to arrange settlement with them. Recent experience is such that very few transactions appear to have attracted any GST.

Please note that this ordering method won't come with any Dancom invoice; this is quite different from Method 1.

The advantage points are:
- Saves you money with NO GST PAID if you're lucky.

Pricing and warranty for both methods are the same:

Ex: A SB-800 Flash is AU$480.00

Method 1: AU$480.00 + $48.00 (GST) = AU$528.00

Method 2: AU$480.00 + NO GST = AU$480.00 PS: New message from Mr Poon Hong Kong Supplies, he asked me to add more info about paying him thru Paypal:
From Poon
Yes, please add paypal terms to method two:
Members can pay by paypal to Poon's paypal account(paypal ID: sales@hksupplies.com), as Poon's offer is based on bank wire and not further charge, paypal will need to add 3.5% to purchasing price, also Paypal will accept only US$ and need to switch from AU$ to US$.
Best regards Poon
Last edited by birddog114 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Mj on Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:07 pm

This is a tremendous step forward for all concerned I think Birddog.
Should help everyone feel relaxed and comfortable with the process and I certainly hope that it will ease your burden, not to mention that Mr Poons business is likely to do very nicely.

Well Done !!!
Mj

Postby Werewolf on Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:36 pm

That's BRILLIANT Birddog :D

One small question:

When ordering direct from HK Supplies is it possible to pay Poon via Paypal and thus use a credit card? He obviously has a Paypal address which he uses on eBay. I'm trying to avoid using my savings where possible, as well as racking up frequent flyer points!

Steve
Wollongong Wolves, Manchester City, Newcastle Utd. D70 Freak!
Werewolf

Postby W00DY on Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:38 pm

Well I have gone for a mixture of methord 1 & 2 for my current order :)
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:43 pm

Werewolf wrote:That's BRILLIANT Birddog :D

One small question:

When ordering direct from HK Supplies is it possible to pay Poon via Paypal and thus use a credit card? He obviously has a Paypal address which he uses on eBay. I'm trying to avoid using my savings where possible, as well as racking up frequent flyer points!

Steve

Yes, you can pay via Paypal with your CC to his Paypal account, then he'll have to charge you a premium to cover the gap.
You have to clearly state it at the beginning of ordering direct to him. This is not applied to the two above methods of payments.

I can take your order via method 1 with paying by CC or AMEX, then 4% charges will be applied on the total of the TAX INVOICE.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby fozzie on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:38 pm

Birddog114,

The instructions are crystal clear.

I look forward to using the new process effective from 5 Jan. 2005. BTW: I will be utilising Method 2. :D

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:16 pm

Is there a direct email address for Poon?

Cheers

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:56 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Is there a direct email address for Poon?

Cheers

Chris

you can email here:
sales@hksupplies.com
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby dooda on Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:52 pm

In understanding the two methods, it seems that anyone interested in ordering from over seas (ie Canada) will use method #2.

I know that this is going to sound silly, but I've never really used paypal, or even know what it is (I know in the most general sense). It seems to be popular but at the same time I hear about negatives. I too would like to purchase through Poon via credit card. If I have to do this through PayPal, could someone tell me the negs and positives of going through such a thing?

Thanks everyone!

I've never done EFT either, but I'm assuming that there's a cost involved with this as well. (stands for Electronic financial transfer or something?)
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby fozzie on Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:57 pm

Birddog114,

I have the following question. With the lenses we are receiving from Poon ex Hong Kong, and are considered as grey market, would it be possible to explore selling 'Mack Camera Warranty' through the Mercandise Section in this forum :?:

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:00 pm

fozzie wrote:Birddog114,

I have the following question. With the lenses we are receiving from Poon ex Hong Kong, and are considered as grey market, would it be possible to explore selling 'Mack Camera Warranty' through the Mercandise Section in this forum :?:

Cheers,

fozzie,
In reply of your question, CPU Extend warranty policy will cover them for 2nd and 3rd year, 1st year is manufacturer's warranty.
You can get the 70-200VR cover at the value of 3K and it's around $55.00 for 2, 3rd year.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:10 pm

dooda,
Paypal is very popular in eBay market, there're pros and cons.
Paypal charges 3.5% - 4% on the total amount of the sale to reseller.
People use CC to pay their purchases via Paypal and Paypal remit payment to sellers. People can withdraw funds from their saving/ checking account as clear funds in Paypal account.
To pay sellers from a foreign bank account in US$, you have to pay fees for your bank in foreign currency converter and again sellers will charge you 3/1.2 % - 4% to the pricipal amount of sales.
End up you wil pay about 5% or more, depend what's your finance institution and their fees.
Say the sales is US$1000.00/ US$50.00 is the chargeable amount of money which Paypal and other Financial Institution got from your pocket.
Some people think: it's the right way to earn point thru their CC, but if you work out clearly, you're the looser against the cash player.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:31 pm

Once more thing for members in Australia.
The good and convenient thing are:
If you're going to use method 2, the best way is EFT into his local bank account instead of wire transfer via Paypal, I can generate an order for you on behalf, from my end same as follow up the whole progress of payment, shipping, delivery until the order reach your hand safely.
If there are delays or other problems, I can talk directly (not email) with the right person in their Hong Kong Office and try to find the solutions to sort out the problem.
To send an email to them, sometime you have to expect 24 hours turn around time or more to get their reply, they received couple hundred emails a day, related to ordering, and sometime your emails missed out.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby petal666 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:32 pm

dooda wrote:In understanding the two methods, it seems that anyone interested in ordering from over seas (ie Canada) will use method #2.

I know that this is going to sound silly, but I've never really used paypal, or even know what it is (I know in the most general sense). It seems to be popular but at the same time I hear about negatives. I too would like to purchase through Poon via credit card. If I have to do this through PayPal, could someone tell me the negs and positives of going through such a thing?

Thanks everyone!

I've never done EFT either, but I'm assuming that there's a cost involved with this as well. (stands for Electronic financial transfer or something?)

What are you using these days? Cash? :D
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby dooda on Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:13 am

What are you using these days? Cash?

I prefer to deal directly with Chicken eggs, but usually cash ends up being the ticket. :)

I usually use debit card (not credit, pulls money directly from the bank account) or straight cash for day to day. Larger purchases I use check. I haven't ever had the need to do stuff electronically, and use credit cards sparingly. Still haven't bought anything on ebay as my bids at fair price are out done by some weirdo who doesn't mind paying the extra plus shipping and handling in exchange for the exhilaration of victory.

I wish I could do straight credit card direct (AMEX), but it doesn't seem to be an option with Poon. Paypal sounds like a hassle, so i'm looking into a EFT.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Onyx on Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:53 pm

If I'm not mistaken, debit card = EFT in Australian talk.
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:58 pm

Onyx wrote:If I'm not mistaken, debit card = EFT in Australian talk.

No, debit card is debit money from you check or saving account linked to that card. Or EFTPOS (Electronics Fund Transfer Point Of Sale) using the bank supplied terminal at the shop or vendor.

EFT= Electronic Funds Transfer, transferring funds by electronic way from your cheque or saving account to another account.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby natjac on Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:31 pm

Birddog,

I am coming to Sydney for a short Christmas break 22/12 until the 5/1. I would be interested in ordering some items but am a little unsure how I should do it now. And have I left it too late to order and find the items reaching Oz in time for me to pick up???

As an aside I would be interested in the SB-800 as I still haven't made up my mind about lenses just yet !!!!

Any info would be appreciated.
natjac

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:18 pm

natjac wrote:Birddog,

I am coming to Sydney for a short Christmas break 22/12 until the 5/1. I would be interested in ordering some items but am a little unsure how I should do it now. And have I left it too late to order and find the items reaching Oz in time for me to pick up???

As an aside I would be interested in the SB-800 as I still haven't made up my mind about lenses just yet !!!!

Any info would be appreciated.

Email me at thanho@dancom.com.au about your lust and questions and I'll reply.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby makario on Tue May 16, 2006 5:32 pm

I was wondering about the warranty for a canon flash purchased through the forum (birddog). Will there be the 1 yr international warranty if I send the flash back to HK Supplies or there is no warranty at all?

Cheers
Mak
makario

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 16, 2006 5:36 pm

makario wrote:I was wondering about the warranty for a canon flash purchased through the forum (birddog). Will there be the 1 yr international warranty if I send the flash back to HK Supplies or there is no warranty at all?

Cheers
Mak

Always, warranty is RTB, and only applied to items purchased thru our channel, not directly with HKS.
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Information