Dust 80-200 :-(

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Dust 80-200 :-(

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:42 pm

Hello,

Noticed this week that my 80-200 / 2.8 has dust :(

It was clean as a whistle when I bought it new 2 months ago, been on one outing with it to Echuca, and now it seems to have lots internal dust. I usually keep it in its case, or in my Crumpler Backpack.

the dust appears to be up close to the aperture ring end, just behind the zoom ring...

Any advise on;
1. How I may prevent/minimise this reoccuring?
2. How this can be cleaned, user service, or lab?
3. the impact on my images? I expect it would show up on say a brides white dress?

THanks in advance
Oz

My 80-200 2.8

the dissappointing news...

Oz_Beachside

Postby Matt. K on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:40 pm

Normaly internal dust is not a problem except on the rear elements of very wide angle lenses. Try a photograph of a clear sky at f11 at the 80mm end and see if it shows up. Try again with a different lens to make sure you're not looking at dust bunnies on the CCD.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Yi-P on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Every lens will end up with internal dust eventually.

They dont usually show up in pictures unless as Matt said, on the rear elements for wide angles. Or unless they are so big in size.

Shouldnt worry much if they are not showing up in your picture. Yes, take a picture of the clear sky at small aperture, dust should show up if they are in the optics way.
Yi-P

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:31 pm

thanks for your help, feedback, and suggestion. I'll try tomorrow if the sky is clear, 50% chance, since in Melbourne...

cheers,
oz
Oz_Beachside

Return to Tips and tricks