Nikon D70 on Linux

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon D70 on Linux

Postby radar on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:29 am

Hi,

As some of you may have guessed by my avatar, I like Linux. It is my OS of choice for desktop/server/firewall/etc.

Looking to use The Gimp for PP, I came accross this useful link, Nikon D70 under Linux. I've used Linux a lot, but am new at The Gimp.

I'll post some of my experiences as I learn more on The Gimp, so for those that are interested or just wondering, it may be useful. It probably will also help me out by writing it up.

---23/06/05

Okay, I'll keep going on this thread about Linux. Note that I'm not trying to convert anyone to Linux, so we don't need any OS flame wars. Each OS has it's own merits and people use them for their own reasons be it MS Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, BeOS, Atari, Commodore, you name it ;-)

Which Linux distribution?

There are certainly lots to choose from Debian, RedHat, Xandros, Suse, Ubuntu and the list goes on. I have tried a number of them over the years, from Mandrake to heavily customising RedHat. But a fairly new kid on the block is Ubuntu. It is Debian based and very easy to install, use, keep up to date, add programs to.

More info at the Ubuntu site http://www.ubuntu.com/

You can even get them to send you a CD (for free) if you don't want to be bothered to download it. Or you can ask me for one when I attend a mini-meet. It also comes with a LiveCD. The nice thing about a LiveCD is that you just put it in your CDROM drive, reboot, voilà, you are in Linux. Don't even have to install anything. It is a great way to try it without affecting your current system, it all runs off the CD. There is also a PowerPC version in case the Mac OS X starts getting boring :wink: BTW, the LiveCD is also a great tool to recover files off a system that fails to boot in your OS of choice.

Next, I'll cover the tools that I have installed to help with getting the images from the camera, exiftool (covered in another thread), The Gimp, raw file import, etc. The good stuff, what I really intended to write about to begin with.

Cheers,

André
Last edited by radar on Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
radar

Postby Geoff on Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:09 pm

Thanx for that andre - I know that Scott (MHD) uses and is very fond of THE GIMP :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby nito on Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:46 pm

Thanks for the link radar. Never honestly thought about editing my photos on linux. Interesting! :D
nito

Postby WadeM on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:26 pm

The only reason I'm not running Ubuntu on my machine @ home is I'm not sure how GimpShop handles up to photoshop action scripts, and I don't want to have to re-create all my action scripts.

sudo aptget programname is a great method for downloading. So much easier then windows :lol:

I run a lot of *nix @ work. I spend a lot of my day in a CLI. I <3 *nix :)

--Wade
WadeM

Postby spartikus on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:48 pm

WadeM wrote:
sudo aptget programname is a great method for downloading.

sudo apt-get install programname ;)

I find GIMP to be nowhere near as fast as Photoshop when processing, and I couldn't live without my actions!
Chris
photoblog
spartikus

Postby radar on Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:30 pm

spartikus wrote:I find GIMP to be nowhere near as fast as Photoshop when processing, and I couldn't live without my actions!

Which OS do you use GIMP and Photoshop on? Both on Windows or Mac? Not having used Photoshop, can't really tell.

Those Photoshop actions certainly look useful and readily available. The Gimp does have some scripts but not so sure how they compare. Certainly one of the things that I'll be putting together soon, is scripting the standard things that I tend to do for most images, eg include borders, scale for web (i.e. post on D70users), ... Not sure if I'll deal in scheme (script-fu) or stick with what I know, that is perl.

EDIT:found a couple of plug-in's that will do this, will try them out.

Cheers,

radar.
Last edited by radar on Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby WadeM on Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:33 pm

spartikus wrote:
WadeM wrote:
sudo aptget programname is a great method for downloading.

sudo apt-get install programname ;)

I find GIMP to be nowhere near as fast as Photoshop when processing, and I couldn't live without my actions!

Blah :p

I've used Photochop on Win XP, and toyed with GIMP on a very dodgy PC running Ubuntu. For the speed of the Ubuntu PC, GIMP ran far better then expected. Mind you, I wasn't doing anything too complex @ all. Just a few resizes etc.

--Wade
WadeM

Postby spartikus on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:39 am

Not sure if it's changed since I last tried, but the GIMP doesn't have the Shadow/Hilights tool - something that I use all the time...otherwise I have to sit there for an additional 10 mins trying to pretty up the image with curves instead!
Chris
photoblog
spartikus

Postby atencati on Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:28 am

speaking of linux, have you been following the IBM-SCO-Novell-Autozone-Linux-SantaCruz Fiasco in the US Courrts?? Basically SCO tried to patent linux in a group licensing scheme and when everyone else wisely said NO F'ing way, they sued for copright infiringement. There is a great website keping track of it all at http://www.groklaw.net. This is also the site that a while back caused a huge disturbance in the linux magazine industry with Maureen O'gara, and the subsequent resignation of most of the SR staffers..Pretty interesting stuff. Very Slimy American Corporation Crap as well.

Andy
D70, 70-200VR, 18-70, 50 1.8, SB800
Blackberry PIN: 2029497E
atencati

Postby radar on Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:07 pm

Hi,

in case you need one, this is a very versatile script to add borders, title, copyright, etc to your photos when using the GIMP. Lots of options, just install it and see 8). You can change location of text, blur or not, colours...
Extended Border and Copyright script.

Just download it to your .gimp-2.2/scripts directory and do a refresh. It will then appear in your "Script-Fu -> Decor..." listing. You can easily modify the initial defaults that it uses so that it contains your information and the type of borders you like having on your photos. Note, this is for Linux, but probably similar for Mac and on Windows, it would be put in the .gimp-2.2 directory in your "Document Settings"

As an example, Sheepie coming out of the John Oxley.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Return to Tips and tricks