www.hksupplies.com

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Kristine on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:55 pm

Dimmo

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Cheers
Kristine
Kristine

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:57 pm

dimmo wrote:Which is why I said, if another offer comes along I might be perhaps able to.

Didn't Birddog post a new offer this morning?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:04 pm

Hi Mj,

The lens I am getting is the 45mm 2.8P (manual focus). Great Boke, absolutley great size (allows me to play my d... is bigger than yours, and lose :wink: ) and being manual focus gives me another knob to twiddle. At 17mm thick should be a great walkaround lens.

Here is the lens http://www.maxwell.com.au/photo/nikon/n ... _f28p.html

and here are some samples versus the 50mm 1.4
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=11101622

I am getting it through the Mr Poon, Birdy connection at a great price
Glen

Postby dimmo on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:11 pm

gstark wrote:
dimmo wrote:Which is why I said, if another offer comes along I might be perhaps able to.

Didn't Birddog post a new offer this morning?

Yes, he did. :) I was a little more interested in the Grey Import deal, with the CPU local warranty etc. :D
dimmo

D70 delivery

Postby Mouse Trap on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:44 pm

The joys of living in the country, my fedex parcel did not arrive today maybe tomorrow ALL things crossed.

I just read way back in this thread about having to use US dollars for payment to Poon. Not so I asked for his bank account details and transferred Aust dollars to his account. Had a problem with PAYPAL a while ago and in the group action againt them so can not use them. And Poon doese not take Visa so thought i would work out side the square.
Also had dealings with Royal is USA they tried to get me to phone them and do the big sell on extras way over priced. Email them that if they could not provide the new product at the advertised price no deal. Have not heard from them since!!! :D I have had a happy deal with Cameta Camera USA on Ebay with a N65 outfit saved $400A over the then price. Not worth much now...... lol
Build Better Mouse Traps!
Mouse Trap

A Poon Success Story.

Postby Mouse Trap on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:11 pm

WEll almost my parcel arrived today from Poon, :D :D :D :D
Battery charger had UK plug but wait I had a spare of the correct type not all is lost just cant use the printer and the charger at the same time, printer Nikon D70 who cares give me the camera every time >>>>lol :D :D No duty to pay even better. Waiting for the charger to stop blinking :) Off to play soon I hope.
Mouse Trap

Postby MHD on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:30 pm

That first charge takes FOREVER!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:08 pm

and he'll find where's the on-off switch and he'll complaint something loose or missing inside behind the back at the CF card door :lol: :lol:
You'll enyoy it for sure and :D :D :D :D
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Mouse Trap on Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:56 pm

Cruel gloating at my expence :D

No problems had a loan of a D70 for a week to play with had it all sussed out. Old story friends offer to bring back camera, they were so impressed kept it but had a guilty moment and lent it to me!!!!

Up and running and taking shots May need more than the 1gig mem for the computer also can see another hard drive for shots as well :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Mouse Trap on Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse Trap

Postby Werewolf on Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:18 pm

No Duty? That's excellent!

I'm waiting to buy a 80-200 ED off Poon but apparantley all HK is outta stock at the moment.

Hate this waiting game!
Wollongong Wolves, Manchester City, Newcastle Utd. D70 Freak!
Werewolf

Postby MHD on Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:38 pm

same goes with the 50/1.4 :(
waiting waiting
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:46 pm

MHD wrote:same goes with the 50/1.4 :(
waiting waiting

MHD,

He has stock of it
Birddog114
birddog114

Mr Poon must love you

Postby Suri on Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:21 pm

I hope you are securing something for all your hard work Birddog?
Thanks to you, and the feedback on this forum, I have taken the plunge and indulged in my first overseas acquisition.
It is all a rather intimidating experience first time around, and a little nerve rattling.

I would be grateful if you could utilise your extensive experience in these matters and assist in the tracking of the following into Brisbane via our good friends in Hong Kong.

1 x SB800 Flash
Purchased via PayPal direct at 03:51:26 PST 1/12/04
Wonder what time that is in Australia?

Looking forward to the experience, and have promised Mr Poon more if all goes well.

Regards
Suri
Suri

Postby Glen on Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:50 am

Suri, I think you will find that Mr Poon will email you direct your tracking number. He is quite efficient.
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Suri,
If you did the transaction yesterday, depend on what time, if it was eraly in the day then your SB-800 will be arrived on Friday this week, otherwise Monday next week.
Other members got their orders next day delivery from HKG and the delivery are all big items.
You'll be right, I can give you my assurance.
Birddog114
birddog114

Thanks to Birddog & Mr Poon HK Supplies.

Postby mic on Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:10 pm

They have arrived :>

My Nikon 50 1.8
My Nikon 105 Macro 2.8
My Nikon 180mm 2.8

My Nikon SB 800 Light Puncher.

I have to say, and I am in retail. This has been the best buying experience ever for me, Quick, Easy, Cheap.
( A lot cheaper than buying in Aus )

Birddog is very helpfull & honest.
Mr Poon from HK Supplies has got the goods at the right price.
And Glen, thanks for finding me on D Previews Forum and bringing me back from the dark side ( If it wasn't for you I would have bought from USA ) and paid an estimated $900.

This is a great, Friendly Aussie Forum.

Boys I owe you all a big Brewsky one day.

Now I'm off to work all this stuff out, I can feel a headache coming on and good photo's hopefully.

Thanks once again,

Mic. :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :wink:

Proud owner & user of : D70 / 50mm 1.8 / 105mm 2.8 / 180mm 2.8 / SB 800 / Oh & Kit Lens.
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

SB800 Follow Up

Postby Suri on Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:26 pm

Thank You Mr Poon/Birddog,
Goods packaged magnificently, delivered to the door one day earlier than anticipated according to Fedex tracking advice.
A truely spot on service that I would recommend to anyone contemplating any significant photographic investment.

Just have to learn how to use the beast now.

Suri
Suri

Postby Onyx on Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:40 pm

Suri, enjoy your new flash. There are a number of members like yourself, that have recently acquired one. Enjoy scaling the learning curve... don't forget to post here if you have questions or seek help on any matter.

Pre-emptively, here's the link to the REAL way of removing the battery door to install the fifth cell (don't pay attention to the instructions, they are wrong):

http://web.295.ca/mike_graham/errata/sb ... _cover.htm
Onyx

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:22 am

Man they are not only wrong they must have been interpreted into english by a russian seeing eye dog........ BURN them
Gerard :D
Gerard

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:45 am

My understanding on removing the battery door chamber for the SB-800 is little bit scary for new owners, it won't break coz it's Nikon :lol: :lol:
If it breaks then again buy it again from Nikon :lol:
Make sure the door latch kept away in their original box for future need.
It's easy to slip out and disappear.
Once you have the fifth battery installed, you never look back to use it once again.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:57 am

For members who's interested in buying gears from Hong Kong Supplies.

Poon will be here on Thursday, we will discuss the way how we can flexible ordering gears from him, especially for our members.

He will have local banks accounts for deposit money into it, save your times and money to Paypal or wire transfer.

Stocks can be shipped out from Sydney as flashes, small quantity of lenses, otherwise will be shipped from HKG.

The other important are, Local warranty for all his gears sold to members instead of sending back to HKG by yourself, the faulty gears come back to his base in Sydney and will forward to his HKG base.

I'll keep everyone posted once I finalized all the details with him.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MHD on Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:10 am

great stuff... I dont know about anyone else, but I laugh when I go into camera stored

"Do you mind if I try that lens for a second" *plays with lens* "Would you like to buy it sir?" "hahahaha Mabie if you halved the price!"
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby fozzie on Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:29 am

Birddog,

Birddog114 wrote:For members who's interested in buying gears from Hong Kong Supplies.

Poon will be here on Thursday, we will discuss the way how we can flexible ordering gears from him, especially for our members.

He will have local banks accounts for deposit money into it, save your times and money to Paypal or wire transfer.

Stocks can be shipped out from Sydney as flashes, small quantity of lenses, otherwise will be shipped from HKG.

The other important are, Local warranty for all his gears sold to members instead of sending back to HKG by yourself, the faulty gears come back to his base in Sydney and will forward to his HKG base.

I'll keep everyone posted once I finalized all the details with him.

Excellent news, and await your update after meeting on Thursday.

Why would you want to shop elsewhere. With the great prices and shipping directly to your door via FedEx in 4-6 calendar days, depending on where you live. Birddog and Poon gets my 5 star rating.

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Nicole on Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:24 pm

This is going to be really cool. Although I think it may have my husband a bit worried.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:28 pm

Nicole wrote:This is going to be really cool. Although I think it may have my husband a bit worried.

Nicole,
Be a good girl and he'll happy :D
Birddog114
birddog114

Another satisfied customer

Postby Flyer on Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:19 pm

Yesterday I received my Gitzo G2227 - took 4 working days! How good is that!
Very well packaged, very professional & quick transaction.
Thank you Mr. Poon.
Gitzo is great. Much more solid & stiffer then my old manfrotto. Much more adjustable as well. I'm in love with it already :D
Flyer

Postby Glen on Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:02 pm

Flyer pleased to hear you like yours. You can't go past Mr Poons service can you! Do you find the 2227 easy to set up? Would you use it as a field tripod?
Glen

Postby Flyer on Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:32 pm

Glen wrote:Flyer pleased to hear you like yours. You can't go past Mr Poons service can you! Do you find the 2227 easy to set up? Would you use it as a field tripod?

Glen - main reason I bought Gitzo was to use it as field tripod. So much more flexible then Manfrotto, especially in macro photography, landscape, etc photography. You can get the camera to the ground level.
Set up is quite easy. Not really much different to your standard tripod. I like the twist locks on legs - some people don't. Built in spirit bubble allows to level it quite quickly, perhaps little slower then tripods with fixed leg spread. Carbon fiber "feels' so much better then aluminum, especially in the cold I guess. Not sure how hot will it get in full sun due to dark colour of carbon fiber.
After playing with Gitzo for only a day Manfrotto feels like a budget tripod now... :D
Might post some pics of it on weekend.
Wish I had a ballhead to match it.... :(
Flyer

Postby Glen on Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:51 pm

Thanks Flyer, great to get an opinion from someone with one
Glen

Postby Grev on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:02 pm

Hey guys, I'm new here and this is interesting indeed.

Well first of all, I know fluent Cantonese and is happy that you guys are having a good time shopping online from Hong Kong.

The thing is that it makes me wanting to shop online as well but then the thing is that I'm going there early next year (mid January) and I was wondering where I can find Mr Poon so I can get some cheap deals off him? ;)

And oh, I can probably help out in Mr Poon's business here as well. :)
Grev

Postby Onyx on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:44 pm

Grev, hello and welcome.

HK Supplies can be found at:
Room 1904 Chinachem Leighton Plaza
29 Leighton Rd, Causeway Bay
HK

That's his last known address. He's planning a move to bigger premises I believe, maybe about the time you're head over... confirm wtih Birddog.
Onyx

Postby bago100 on Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:49 pm

Welcome to the forum Grev

*another Brisbane member folks*!!

Not far from Causeway Bay MTR station

http://www.hong-kong-hotels-network.com ... ay-bay.htm

Great shopping in Causeway Bay as well :D
bago100

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:52 pm

bago100 wrote:Not far from Causeway Bay MTR station

http://www.hong-kong-hotels-network.com ... ay-bay.htm

Great shopping in Causeway Bay as well :D

His office will be located in a big premises than now and he's planning to move in early January for the completion of moving well before Chinese New Year.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby skippy on Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:56 pm

Re Onyx's link for the battery cover - wish I'd seen it earlier :(
Take it from me that if you follow the recommended procedure to remove the cover it CAN break. On the upside, if one of the lugs breaks off the cover it's not the end of the world. You can still put it back in, it still clips in securely because of the other lug and the clip on the other end, and it's MUCH easier to remove from then on... :lol:
Feels pretty secure still, so not too stressed about it. Bit embarrassed about it though, I'm not normally that hamfisted.
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby Grev on Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:28 pm

Thanks for all of the salutations! :D

Thanks for the directions as well but as I said I'm fluent in both English and Cantonese and the thing is that if I'm going to be there early next year, it's much better to have actual Chinese maps and stuff, but I think my uncle would know where to go if an address was given. (Because I'm not that familiar with the roads there, I haven't been back there for so long!)

Thanks for all of the information as well, greatly appreciated.
Grev

Postby birddog114 on Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:21 pm

Grev wrote:Thanks for all of the salutations! :D

Thanks for the directions as well but as I said I'm fluent in both English and Cantonese and the thing is that if I'm going to be there early next year, it's much better to have actual Chinese maps and stuff, but I think my uncle would know where to go if an address was given. (Because I'm not that familiar with the roads there, I haven't been back there for so long!)

Thanks for all of the information as well, greatly appreciated.

Grev,
What're you going to lust on the trip to HKG? Poon does not have the store and he's not open his business to the general public, mainly eBay store, on line sale or direct to his agent in Europe, North America and Australia.
In Australia he works thru his agent atm and we're happy with the excellent prices which he offers to our members.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Grev on Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:34 pm

Hey there, actually when I saw the D70 kit price, I would very much so like to buy it here, and about the warranty, can you elaborate more on that please? Because I know bodies brought from overseas only have warranty from that particular place, so yeah...

I don't know what I'm going to get in Hong Kong, I have 5 weeks to stuff around there so I might be able to find some hidden treasures there. :wink:
Grev

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:57 pm

Grev wrote:Hey there, actually when I saw the D70 kit price, I would very much so like to buy it here, and about the warranty, can you elaborate more on that please? Because I know bodies brought from overseas only have warranty from that particular place, so yeah...

I don't know what I'm going to get in Hong Kong, I have 5 weeks to stuff around there so I might be able to find some hidden treasures there. :wink:

Grev,
What do you want me to tell you about? every detail is on that list.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Grev on Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:18 pm

So it's $1270 for the D70 body and $1640 for the D70 kit? And it's all with 3 years warranty?
Grev

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:28 pm

Grev wrote:So it's $1270 for the D70 body and $1640 for the D70 kit? And it's all with 3 years warranty?

This thread is quite old and the offer is now ended.
The new offer is $1490.00 for the imported D70+kit lens (Method II)
with one year warranty
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Grev on Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:34 pm

Thanks for the correction, and what is method II?
Grev

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:39 pm

This extent of the conversation at this point, while on topic with the thread, is getting into the realm of what private messaging should be used for.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby fozzie on Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:39 pm

Grev,

Grev wrote:Thanks for the correction, and what is method II?

Please read the the following post:

http://forum.d70users.com/viewtopic.php ... 564a5b121d

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Previous

Return to Trader Opinions