18-200 Still causing problems

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

18-200 Still causing problems

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:00 am

Looks like the 18-200VR is still in hot water, and still giving Nikon some causes for concern.

There's a firmware recall notice affecting a number of Nikon cameras that's been posted on the Nikon Australia site.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:13 am

Gary, that page carried a link to the D3H, the replacement for the D2H. 12.4mp Lbcast sensor

ps it is hard work in DX mode :wink:
Glen

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:16 am

If you're using Firefox, right click, open in new tab will deal with the DX view of the forums, but what did I miss??
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:22 am

HTF did I miss that?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby macka on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:33 am

My partner, concerned for his D70s, sent the following email to Nikon Australia:

Hi,

My camera seems to have a problem, when attempting to autofocus it is sending out sparks and clouds of smoke (amazing that it should happen today of all days ) . Should I send it in for a new firmware? Does it have to come in today? I'm concerned that it may self destruct soon, would using the timer activate a self destruct sequence?

Nikon thus responded promptly, showing true customer service skills (especially for a Saturday):

Thank you for your interest in the Nikon Firmware Recall program.

Your email address has been recorded in our system, and we shall be in touch with you shortly with further details about this issue, and how you can return your camera to your nearest Nikon agent in order to have the currently installed firmware replaced with the latest updates.

We expect this to be available sometime shortly on or after April 2 2006.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:39 am

Macka,

macka wrote:My partner, concerned for his D70s, sent the following email to Nikon Australia:

Hi,

My camera seems to have a problem, when attempting to autofocus it is

Nikon thus responded promptly, showing true customer service skills (especially for a Saturday):

Thank you for your interest in the Nikon Firmware Recall program.

That will probably be just an autoresponder. When an email comes in, a response is generated robotically. Very easy to implement, and very common, especially for businesses, as they think it makes them seem more responsive.

I think it makes them look condescending and disrespectful to their customers, but who am I to to judge?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:29 am

More rubbish - firmware upgrades can be performed by the individual - the same recall mentions the firmware upgrade for the D2H, which can be downloaded and installed by the individual.

Why, all of a sudden, would you have to return your camera for a firmware upgrade :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:33 am

Chris,

Please reread the press release.

This isn't simply an upgrade. It's a firmware recall. Apologies in advance if you'd already noted that.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby thaddeus on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:43 am

Gary,

There is no requirement to send the camera in to Nikon Australia. All you need to do is download your firmware and send it to the email address provided and they will send you the new firmware. I did it yesterday and received the new firmware within hours.
thaddeus

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:53 am

How would D3 users not be affected by this firmware upgrade as the D3 does not exist :? Oh! I see. Coz it does not exist it does not require it - doh :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:02 am

thaddeus wrote:Gary,

There is no requirement to send the camera in to Nikon Australia. All you need to do is download your firmware and send it to the email address provided and they will send you the new firmware. I did it yesterday and received the new firmware within hours.

Not to Nikon Australis, but to a service agent, I believe. But I don't believe that's the case that they will, in this case, just send you the firmware.

If you read Macka's posting, you will see that they send you an email noting your interest, and promise to advise you of a fix in the future. I also believe that they promise to advise you of where you can take the camera for the fix to be applied.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:25 pm

Did anyone read the fine print towards the end of point 4 here:

http://www.nikonaustralia.com/nikonau-terms.php
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to General Discussion