My first image review

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

My first image review

Postby mark on Sat May 06, 2006 12:18 am

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and also new to DSLR's, in fact I have very little SLR experience at all unless you count the time I owned a Pentax P30n for about 2 years before loaning it to a mate never seeing either of them again. :lol: Yeah I can laugh about it now but that was 12 years ago.

Here are some photos I have taken over the last few weeks since getting my new DSLR.

I would appreciate your thoughts

D50 nikkor 70-300 F/4-5.6G - set @ 300mm, 1/800, F/5.6, ISO 200 Handheld
D50 nikkor 70-300 F/4-5.6G - set @ 70mm, 10 sec, F/4, -1.3EV, ISO 200 Crappy Tripod
D50 nikkor 70-300 F/4-5.6G - set @ 95mm, 1/640, F/7.1, ISO 400 Handheld
mark

Postby pharmer on Sat May 06, 2006 12:54 am

Hi Mark - some good first up shots

#1 - Got the 70-300G at full stretch here - not bad, I like the guy under the water

#2 - no real central subject in this one, would be better if someone was standing on the balcony between the trees

#3 - Nice late afternoon colour, a tad bright on the clock. The D50 overexposes by 0.3 - 0.5 of a stop, you may want to watch that when you're shooting (I had a D50 - they are a great camera)

Pretty good shots - keep shooting :)
Last edited by pharmer on Sat May 06, 2006 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
pharmer

Postby NJ on Sat May 06, 2006 1:00 am

i quite like #2
theres something mysterious about it, its almost like someone is spying on someone that isnt there :lol:
but as pharmer said, i think it would be better with a human element.
good shots tho, keep at it!
Nathan
D700 | MB-D10 | Nikkor 14-24 | Nikkor 24-70 | Sigma 70-200 | 20 2.8 28 2.8 35 2 50 1.8 | Sigma 105 | SB-800
http://www.flickr.com/nathanjphoto/
NJ

Postby Slider on Sat May 06, 2006 9:26 am

Very nice Mark. 1st is a beauty with the guy in the wave. Well captured. :D
Cheers
Mark :) http://www.photographicaustralia.com
http://www.trekaboutphotography.com

He who dies with the most lenses wins...
Slider

Postby johnd on Sat May 06, 2006 10:37 am

Welcome to the forum Mark.

I like the third image of the clock tower the most, with the vibrant colours the afternoon sun has provided. If you get a chance to shoot it again with a clear blue sky behind it and about a half stop down, as Barrie suggested, I reckon you'd have a really great shot. Also I notice there are lights on the tower. What's it look like at night time?

Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby mark on Sat May 06, 2006 11:26 am

johnd wrote:Welcome to the forum Mark.

Also I notice there are lights on the tower. What's it look like at night time?

I don't know but I'm going to find out, thanks for the tip.

Thanks everyone else for your thoughts, I really like the first one best. But hey I'm really into surfing.
mark

Postby Willy wombat on Sat May 06, 2006 11:06 pm

Hi Mark - Welcome and thanks for sharing some photos with us. That First one is a cracker with the guys foot sticking outof the wave. Fuuny.

The last one has some promise (well composed) but like has been mentioned the clock face needs to be toned down a little bit as it is too hot.

Cheers WW 8)
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques