Ted's on Pitt St Sydney

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Ted's on Pitt St Sydney

Postby Vodka on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Seems like there have been some bad experiences with Teds on these forums in the past, but I'd thought I'd share my experience today.

Walked into Ted's Pitt St at lunch wanting to check out a Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead. My web browsing have found Vanbar to be the cheapest, so I had a printout hoping for a price match.

Showed the salesman (Ross) the printout and he not only matched it, but quoted me an even better price, plus threw in a 1/4-20" to 3/8" thread adapter as well.

Kudos to Ross at Ted's Pitt St for an easy, friendly sale.

Ben
Vodka

Postby macka on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:25 pm

You can be lucky, but their service isn't consistent. There are a lot of morons in there as well.

Have fun with the new toy.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:06 am

Is Ross one of the old guys? They're usually pretty good (the old guys at Ted's).
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Vodka on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:16 am

Nnnnsic wrote:Is Ross one of the old guys? They're usually pretty good (the old guys at Ted's).

Well, he looked slightly younger than 40, hardly "old". :wink:
From the way he spoke, and his knowledge of stock levels "out the back", I get the feeling he's the store manager.
Vodka

Postby Pa on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:22 am

i bought some equipment from them online last year and had no problems

cheers pa
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby Tim on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:14 pm

Im heading to Ted's on Rundle St in Adel today to hopefully pickup my D40.
Im taking in a printout of This Link to hopefully get them to price match.

I'll let you guys know how I go later :)
Tim

Postby Vodka on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:02 pm

Tim wrote:Im heading to Ted's on Rundle St in Adel today to hopefully pickup my D40.
Im taking in a printout of This Link to hopefully get them to price match.

I'll let you guys know how I go later :)

Good luck, but I wouldn't be too suprised if they don't. D-D is a grey importer, whereas I'm pretty sure Ted's would go through the offical Nikon Aust channels to source their cameras.

Ben
Vodka

Postby Tim on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:19 pm

Just ventured out with my list:

Nikon D40 Kit
Sandisk Ultra II SD 2Gb
Hoya UV filter
Tamrac Adventure 3 Bag

With a maximum spend of $1000.

Well.. I must say that I am very disappointed with Ted's.

Walked in there. Gave them a list of what I was after and my d-d print off, and asked if they can get 'close' to that price.
This rude old sales guy looked at me and said "no 'effing' way, not interested in Internet prices".

Rather shocked, I said "fine, whatever. Im never buying from or recommending you mob ever" and walked out.

Walked across the street to Diamonds. Nice chap had a squizz and said he'll see what he can do.
Came back and said, well this mob are grey market and below our cost price. Fair enough.

Then quoted $1019 for my list of stuff.

Considering their RRP for the camera is $999 and the camera bag was worth $80 etc, I thought this was decent and jumped on it.

So YAY! Finally have my kit! :)
Last edited by Tim on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Postby TonyH on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:30 pm

Well done Tim....!

Persistence pays off :D
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby fozzie on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Tim - congratulations of your new toys. Look forward to meeting you at one of our 'Mini Meets' sometime down the track. FYI: we have one coming up this Sunday at Parafield should you be available, thread below:

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I had a similar problem with Ted's in the City. So I went to Ted's at Marion Shopping Centre and did the deal :)

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Tim on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:08 pm

oooh, I may be able to come..

Either way, very keen on a zoo visit with you guys asap :)
| http://www.timwhite.id.au | Nikon D40 | 18-55mm DX |
Tim

Postby khalil on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:42 pm

went in there today to buy a tamron 17-50 which they sell for $599.
i ask whats the best price we could do for me he said "lens, UV filter and extra 2 years warranty for $650."

i then told him i just wanted the lens and filter so he said to me $640.

I was desperate to get this as many places don't have it in stock,
the guy that served me was very pushy with the warranty and didn't want to negotiate without me buying warranty.

I ended up getting the lens,filter and warranty for $650. Did I get ripped off??

i guess its tooo late now anyways.
khalil

Postby Matt. K on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:27 pm

You got a good deal. You could have got it a little cheaper from ebay or hong kong but only about 45 bucks and the hassel of postage etc. Relax and enjoy! :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby khalil on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:34 pm

the only one i see on ebay is this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tamron-17-50-2-8 ... dZViewItem

which works out to be $620. so i guess i did alright
khalil

Postby Hueber on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:17 pm

I'm going to sound like an advertisement for Teds here but I have to give some credit where it is due. Over the last few years I bought few items from Ted's & for differing reasons had to take them all back & they did so without any problems.
1. bought Canon G3 in Melbourne in which the flash died on the first day, they swapped it over no probs.
2. Bought a Nikon D50 from Teds in Pitt st while in Sydney-got home to Melbourne - no warranty card in box-swapped everything over for a new one from Ted's in Melbourne.
3. Bought the 18-200 VR & didn't like it, they swapped it over for a different lens without a hassle (& got them to price match in the process).
Sometimes the few dollars you might save will be insignificant if you are stuck with a dud & have no recourse except to send to item back overseas & wait for a replacement.
But saying that you have to know your prices, they are usually dearer but are competitive sometimes with specials etc, you have to buy at the right time.
Hueber

Teds (Ross)

Postby mijbril on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:52 am

Vodka wrote:
Nnnnsic wrote:Is Ross one of the old guys? They're usually pretty good (the old guys at Ted's).

Well, he looked slightly younger than 40, hardly "old". :wink:
From the way he spoke, and his knowledge of stock levels "out the back", I get the feeling he's the store manager.

Ross at Ted's city store is quite a nice guy, has a goatee if memory serves. He's given me good discounts on a Sigma 30mm & a Tamron 1.4x SP tele-con that I've been happy with. Had some problems with the Kennedy's & the Sigma (apparently they lost it), he followed them up for me for a satisfactory outcome.

If I'm tempted to spend any significant amount there, I'd always wait to see him.
mijbril

Return to Trader Opinions