Garden Jumping Spider

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Garden Jumping Spider

Postby ATJ on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:30 pm

I believe this from the genus Opisthoncus.

Comments welcome.
ATJ

Postby Biggzie on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:34 pm

Excellent ... Jumping spiders must be the flavour of the week.

Briliant shot, the only sugestion I can offer would be a little more light on its face to show up its eyes
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby ATJ on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:45 pm

What should I make of the fact that I only have one response to this picture?

Is the photograph so bad that it can't be improved at all? No-one is game enough to tell me how crap it really is?

Is the photograph so good that it doesn't need to be improved? One thing I do notice is that we have some fantastic photographers on DSLRusers, many that get paid for their images. These people get many responses to the photographs they post even though they don't need to be improved.

Is it the subject matter? I gave up trying to get comments on my marine subjects but I would have thought I'd get some comments on this one as there has been another recent thread with a very similar subject. Is this so bad?

Is it me? Do I assume there is some conspiracy and the only people that comment aren't in on it? Should I just give up?
ATJ

Postby blacknstormy on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:57 pm

I didn't see it until now :(
Great shot - you don't often see good photos of the dorsal view of a spider - a great taxonomic shot as it details the colouration on the abdomen :)
Lovely :) :)
But then, I love spiders ;)
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby Underload on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:30 pm

ATJ wrote:What should I make of the fact that I only have one response to this picture?

I think you're reading too much into it. Some just get missed...there's 13 others in the first 2 pages of threads without any, or only one reply, as well. It's the weekend, less stuff gets posted (and seen), IMO. Nothing more, nothing less! :)

Like Rel said, great pic.
D200 + stuff
Underload

Postby big pix on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:38 pm

ATJ wrote:
Is it the subject matter? I gave up trying to get comments on my marine subjects but I would have thought I'd get some comments on this one as there has been another recent thread with a very similar subject. Is this so bad?

Is it me? Do I assume there is some conspiracy and the only people that comment aren't in on it? Should I just give up?

........ I just gave up posting pix's due to the lack of response...... I post a pix now and then just for fun, but, you guessed it, very little response as well....... I see some great pix's posted with very little response, I try and comment when possible, but unless the pix has a racing theme or a woman wearing very little, there is hardly a chance of a comment...... maybe one or two.......

....... BTW.....nice spider pix......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Bluebell on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:40 pm

Lovely capture.
Focus on the eyes and the catchlights give him real character.
Don't see how you could improve on this. :)
Nikon D700 D300
Bluebell

Postby Steffen on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:57 pm

I think it's a nice capture as it is, but I reckon it could be improved by a tad more DOF, so that the abdomen comes into sharp focus, too. Composition and colours are great.

As for the lack of responses you (and others) mentioned, I tend to comment only if I have a specific suggestion or gripe. I don't like responses like "top image" or "great shot" and try not to give those myself. I also shut my mouth if I can't make anything of an image, for no specific reasons (if the image just doesn't do it for me).

I admit that I could offer more critique than I'm doing, however, like you I find it hard to attract any interest to my pics as well.

Cheers
Steffen
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Re: Garden Jumping Spider

Postby chrisk on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:51 pm

imho it looks like a great encyclopedia pic recording the species. if thats what you were going for it's perfect. nice and sharp, clear lighting etc.

if you were going for something a little different i'd try another angle; from the front preferabley recording his eyes and head and maybe even a little less dof to isolate the subject.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby colin_12 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:03 pm

Hey Andrew,
Even if I don't always coment I veiw most of your offerings.
I do like your marine shots as this is a part of the world I don't get to see anywhere else. Please keep posting them when you have some new ones to share.

I would like to see a little more depth with this little one towards the rear of the abdomen. It would also be great if you could stretch the depth to include the feet.

Regards Colin
colin_12

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:16 pm

ATJ wrote:What should I make of the fact that I only have one response to this picture?

Not a damn thing.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby shakey on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:51 pm

I love the underwater shots. Great vibrant colours. If I don't comment it's because there is nothing useful I can say. However sometimes we all need a group hug so I'll say that, in my opinion, you have taken some outstanding shots . I had a brief part of my life doing SCUBA and I'm most impressed by the great clarity of your underwater photos. Sadly my SCUBA experience ended when I did a dive with a sore throat and kept on diving without equalising properly, and blew out the round window in my right inner ear during the dive.

Most of the photos I post here don't get many comments. That's OK and I don't stress about it.

There is no conspiracy (well I don't think there is....maybe I should check with the inner circle but I don't know the secret handshake. :lol: :lol: :lol: )
shakey

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:56 am

Of course there's no conspiracy - it's silly to even suggest that.

If by inner circle, you mean admins and mods, then I can tell you that the last image I posted had 97 views and only 1 reply. It happens to everybody. I belong to two international photo sites, and both forums have had similar issues lately. One forum has gone as far as publicly chastising people who post images but don't offer critiques, which I find utterly distasteful.

Things you can do:

- throw your toys out of the cot and don't post any more pics
- spit the dummy and harangue the forum for not paying attention to you
- suck your thumb and sulk for a year

None of which, in my view, is very productive.

Or:

- do like most of us do. Realise that it's not all about you. People have busier lives than ever, and may have only limited time to spend on the forum.

Keep enjoying your hobby and posting the images. Sometimes you'll get positive strokes, sometimes negative strokes, sometimes no strokes at all.

That's just the way it is. Get over it.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby ATJ on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:31 am

My post was not about "guilting" people into providing comments, but thank you to those people that provided comments, they are appreciated. It was not about being upset because I wasn't getting my ego stroked - I'm not after those sorts of comments but do appreciate the suggestions that I'm on the right track. I'd much prefer to get a response such as "Great picture, but...". What comes after the "but" is the really useful part.

I was asking (what I thought were) genuine questions about responses in the Image Reviews and Critiques (IRaC) forum. I find that I get very few if any responses to my posts in that forum. It also appears that I'm not the rarely receives many responses.

I post images in the IRaC forum to get feedback on how the image can be improved, whether that be post processing suggestions or things to do different next time to get a better image. I thought that was the whole purpose of the forum. I'm sure that's the reason most people post in that forum. If people get few or no responses, what is the point?

I do understand how busy people are and how little time they may have to post responses. I'm busy myself. I can't help but notice that at over the same time period some threads in the IRaC forum get loads of responses and some get one or even none. Why does that happen? I also notice that some posters almost always get a lot of responses to their images no matter the subject - and most of these people aren't moderators or key members (that was never my suggestion). Why does that happen? Is it because their images are better - and if so wouldn't that mean they need less comments? Are these images really being used as a showcase (intentionally or unintentionally)?

If nothing's wrong and that's the way things are, so be it. I just won't post - not because I'm sulking or spitting the dummy but simply because I don't feel I'm getting the intended value from that forum. If something is broken, why don't we try to fix it?

cricketfan wrote:Things you can do:

Speaking of utterly distasteful....

I would have thought as a moderator you'd be interested in hearing comments from members and accepted them on face value. Belittling the member or the comments is hardly productive.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:03 am

ATJ wrote:I'd much prefer to get a response such as "Great picture, but...". What comes after the "but" is the really useful part.

It is.

But often people may not have the bit that follows the "but". It is absolutely correct and appropriate that, in those circumstances, they also not post the bit that precedes it.

I find that I get very few if any responses to my posts in that forum. It also appears that I'm not the rarely receives many responses.

I get even less. I'm over it.

I post images in the IRaC forum to get feedback on how the image can be improved, whether that be post processing suggestions or things to do different next time to get a better image. I thought that was the whole purpose of the forum. I'm sure that's the reason most people post in that forum.

It should be the only reason.

If people get few or no responses, what is the point?

Actually, and with respect, you're missing the point. It's all very weel to request a critique, but please tell me how we can actually enforce some way to ensure that you get one?

This has been canvassed many times in the past, and simple fact is that people will offer a critique when and if they feel it's appropriate.

That is, IMHO, fair and reasonable.

And if they have nothing to offer, than it's also appropriate that nothing is exactly what is said.

That you might not like that fact is accepted.

But it is a fact, and there is nothing that you, nor I, nor any of the mods, can do anything about.

can't help but notice that at over the same time period some threads in the IRaC forum get loads of responses and some get one or even none. Why does that happen?

That is the $1000000000 question.

Again, it's the way it is, and you need to accept it, because there's no way that I can think of that will permit you to change it.

Are these images really being used as a showcase (intentionally or unintentionally)?

Oft times, yes, and we often feel that is intentional. I'm not suggesting that you fall into this category, but we do see images that seem to scream "here, look at me!" or "hey, look at what I've been doing" rather than "I did this with this image, and I'm still not happy with it".

If something is broken, why don't we try to fix it?

Fine. What's broken. Please be specific. Please start a new thread, because this thread is about your image. And please, do be specific.

But please try to avoid bringing up the insoluble chestnuts that you've raised, that require us to somehow compel people to make posts here.

cricketfan wrote:Things you can do:

Speaking of utterly distasteful....

I would have thought as a moderator you'd be interested in hearing comments from members and accepted them on face value. Belittling the member or the comments is hardly productive.

Trevor certainly is, as am I.

But we are not interested in hearing people complaining that they've not recieved any comments on their images. Your initial question was

What should I make of the fact that I only have one response to this picture?

To which I responded

Not a damn thing.

I don't believe that there's anything that you, or anyone else, has said that changes that.

And that is the way is needs to be.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:05 am

Whoa, ATJ, hold on there!

To clarify, I did not accuse you of any of those things. It was a list of ironic, light-hearted possible actions. That you have taken them personally and out of the context of my post says more about you than it does about me.

ATJ wrote:I would have thought as a moderator you'd be interested in hearing comments from members and accepted them on face value. Belittling the member or the comments is hardly productive.

As a moderator, I am certainly interested in members' comments. But I don't accept them at face value, because sometimes they are wrong, like this one:

ATJ wrote:Is it me? Do I assume there is some conspiracy and the only people that comment aren't in on it? Should I just give up?

My point is that you will sometimes post an excellent image and not get any or many responses. Unfortunate? Probably.

But this type of thread won't help.

Please refer to this current front page post from Gary:

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php? ... 4643b08ead
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:21 am

Whilst my opinion won't add anything, I find that I look at an image (say, marine) of which I have no knowledge or, and I say this with all due respect, relatively low interest, and therefore can not add anything constructive. I am not a big fauna photo fan, but then I will see one which looks absolutely amazing due to either the absolute level of skill, luck or bravery needed to get that shot or some other factor. In a situation like that, there isn't much I can add except for "Great photo", which we all realise is nice but not a critique.

I have been in a similar position where I post photos of Alex (my little boy), seeking improvement but get little to no response - yes it can be frustrating, but then I realise that baby photos are a cup of tea that, perhaps, very few people like. Yes, it is easy to feel conspired against, it is easy to feel like your photos are crap, etc, but then again, it is logical to realise that photos of certain styles are not everyone's favourate and people are very, very busy.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Matt. K on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:47 pm

I have just spotted this thread and I think it's an excellent image. I think the hot-spot on the spiders head is a slight distraction and perhaps a little extra PP might dull it down a little. As for getting few respnses....it happens to all of us. Some of my best images (in my opinion) have just slid to the bottom of the page without comment. Clearly the forum members were so overwhelmed with the brilliance of them they felt inadequate to respond. Clearly ATJ, you are now in that league. :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby chrisk on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:02 pm

i wonder if a "photo of the day" kind of thread may be a better alternative. much easier to scroll thru one thread and comment on multiple images in just one reply rather than going thru 10 threads.

i try and comment on as many as i can but there are so many single photo threads, it takes alot of time to try and scroll thru each and reply to them individually.

bandwidth obviously could be a problem. just an idea.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby rangie on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:33 pm

Well.. you must be pleased now... you have stacks of posts... just not about your image!

I would agree that it is a good shot BUT .....

just kidding, I think it is good!
rangie

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques