Mamiya RB67 S-Pro

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Mamiya RB67 S-Pro

Postby radar on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi,

I've been wanting to do some medium format photography for a while and now the opportunity has come up that I can get a Mamiya RB67 kit. This would be to do landscape photography. The kit is quite extensive with multiple backs, polaroid back, view finder and 5 lenses (50mm, 65mm, 90mm, 127mm, 250mm) plus some extra accessories. Still in very good working conditions but obviously it is getting old. It has been well looked after but has various signs of wear through usage.

If I can get a good price for it, is it worth the investment or should I be looking at newer Mamiya gear?

Advice much appreciated from the medium-format filum enthusiasts out there :D

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Re: Mamiya RB67 S-Pro

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:02 pm

We don't have Mamiya, but I think these old kits generally last for ages, and, so if the price is right, I would be going for it.

The RB is great for the fact that you don't have to turn the camera to go for a profile shot (if that is what you were doing).

If you consider the price you pay for this kit (with a 50mm! equivalent to about 25mm or so) and if you were to get, say, a V700 Epson scanner, you would have the less convenient ability to shoot very high-res images which may compete with digital medium format capture.

I developed my first lot of 120 film on the weekend, and the size of the negs is great! :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Andre,

If the price is good, and it's all still quite serviceable with no major flaws in the glass, sounds good.

Ballpark expected investment for you?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks for the comments Patrick. As for the scanner, that's also what I was considering.

gstark wrote:Ballpark expected investment for you?

To be determined on this one. Pricing some of that gear on KEH, comes up to about $2K USD. That's pricing the bits individually. For me to be interested, it would have to be less then that. I'll keep you posted :)

Thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:18 pm

Good Luck André, if you get it I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Alpha_7

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Depending on condition, you should be looking at $1-1.5k for that, particularly given the inclusion of the wide angles.

So, we will see you the 8th March? 8)
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby radar on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:So, we will see you the 8th March? 8)

I was planning to be at the film day but I can't make the 8th :cry:

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Grev on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 am

This will be amazing!
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:51 am

Any news?? :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:36 pm

FWIW,

Leigh was at the camera fair in Ultimo yesterday, and was tempted to buy an RB kit for around 450. There were Bronny kits for about 100 less.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:12 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:Any news?? :D

Not yet. I've got it in my hands, as we speak. :D Downloaded and read the manual to make sure I get all the bits attached properly.

gstark wrote:and was tempted to buy an RB kit for around 450

Gary, what is included in an RB kit?

thanks

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Antsl on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi Andre ... I have experience with these cameras, mainly from the perspective of a camera technician. My only thoughts are that a Mamiya RB67 is a damned heavy and bulky bit of kit to be carrying about to do landscape work ... this camera is really designed for the studio. As a thought, have you given thought to buying a Pentax 67 ... these are far more popular for landscape work... easier to carry about, reasonable range of lenses and you might also find that they are more reliable. Cheers, Ants
Antsl

Postby radar on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks for that Ants.

As you say, it is a very bulky/heavy beast. I guess that is one of the reasons I have been a bit slow at committing to buying it. I had looked at the Pentax before but at the time, I hadn't been able to find one that I was happy with. I will revisit that option and do some "hunting".

cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Antsl wrote:a Mamiya RB67 is a damned heavy and bulky bit of kit to be carrying about to do landscape work ... this camera is really designed for the studio.

That was more or less the exact reason I didn't buy one yesterday.

That and my old TA friend from Uni told me that they're a bitch to get repaired in Sydney now that one of the leading repairers has died.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Grev on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:37 am

So wouldn't the Mamiya 7 II rangefinder be better for landscape work?

Incidentally I'm looking for a new RZ67...

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby Antsl on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:23 am

The Mamiya 7 is a great camera but it is also still very desirable and therefore expensive. At the moment I know of several documentary photographers (Trent Parke being one of them) who prefers to use these cameras for street photography, effectively using the camera like the larger version of their usual range-finder cameras (Leica). On the down side with these cameras ... you get no real perception of the depth of field you will get like a DSLR and composing with this camera can also be a challenge as the viewfinder image is not always a convincing indication of what might be going on in the corner of the pictures. I sold my SWC last week and as much as I loved the camera the one thing I will not miss about it is trying to guess what is happening in the bottom of the picture, simply because the bottom half of the picture was invariably obscured by the lens. There is also the parallax factor to consider although this is not so much of a concern if you are shooting landscape images.

I was past Camera Lane in Melbourne yesterday and they had a Pentax 67II Kit in the window with lenses ranging from 55mm through to 500mm and they were after $3000 for the whole kit. Might be worth some homework .... they accept trade-ins!
Antsl

Postby Grev on Wed May 14, 2008 9:23 am

Actually, can the RZ lenses be mounted on the RB? I know the RB lenses can go on the RZ though...

Grev

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging