PSD for Travel to US

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

PSD for Travel to US

Postby brutus123 on Fri May 23, 2008 10:25 pm

We are heading to the US in August and I want to be able to back up the photos from my CF cards. A friend suggested backing up to an iPod but I'm not so sure. Has anyone got any suggestions? We won't be carrying a laptop so will need alternatives.
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
- Elizabeth Taylor
canon 40d/canon 50 1.4f/sigma 17-70/plus bits
brutus123

Re: PSD for Travel to US

Postby sevencolours on Sat May 24, 2008 12:17 am

Hi

I have used vosonic portable hard drives in the past for the same purpose.
google vosonic
or look for "power by numbers" who can supply
there are other suppliers in Australia as well

good luck
sevencolours

Postby brutus123 on Sat May 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a google!
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
- Elizabeth Taylor
canon 40d/canon 50 1.4f/sigma 17-70/plus bits
brutus123

Postby DanielA on Sat May 24, 2008 10:41 pm

sevencolours wrote:I have used vosonic portable hard drives in the past for the same purpose.

There are quite a few of these around.
I went with a basic empty hard drive enclosure "Hyperdrive Space" and put a 120GB 5400rpm drive in it. It looks like they have some pretty newer versions now.

You will want to decide on what features you are after. Do you want to be able to view your images on a colour display? How much hard drive space will you need?
You could look at the Epson P-3000 or P-5000.

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Old Bob on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:06 pm

Just doing a bit of a search for PSDs. I will going to the US in a couple of months time, and trying to find something to store photos on, smaller than a laptop.
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/olin-160gb-photo-storage-unit-dm110/
Found this, and was wondering if anyone knew if it would accept NEF files, or is it just too cheap and nasty to take the risk.

Bob
Old Bob

Postby Glen on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Bob it is not a well known brand, it may be quicker to email the vendor direct. I would expect it should be able to store them, just not view them but it doesn't seem to be a viewer anyway.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Bob, as it is only a storage device on steroids it should be able to store any file format that is on the CF card. Basically it is just a mobile storage unit and not a viewer. If it were a viewer you would need to know what files can be “read” and viewed.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Old Bob on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Thanks people, I only need to store the images, so it might do the job. Thanks again.

Bob
Old Bob

Postby Nobody on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:04 am

Bob,

I have a vosonic 6230i and generally like it. I have had it a few years an I suspect that there are better units out there. A couple of things to think about is that while the upload to a computer gets you USB 2.0 speeds the download from the card is slower. I seem to only get about 4Mb/s download speed which means to empty a 2Gig card takes about 9-10minutes. While this is not too long it brings us to battery life. Running a hard drive for 30 minutes a night on a tip from a small battery they soon need a recharge. Look into what the download speed from card to unit of the one you posted is. If operating away from mains power for weeks or more get one that goes faster or get a second battery.

Nobody
Nobody

Postby Old Bob on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:17 am

Hi
Welcome to the Forum, Nobody.
I did buy the Olin unit, and it seems to work well enough, although it is quite slow to transfer from the card. As I don't think I will be a long way from power, it shouldn't be a problem. At least it's very small and won't take up too much space in my carry on.

Bob
Old Bob

Postby shutterbug on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:26 pm

You can think about....

Asus EeePC approx $300 at msy...also can get GST back too
External pocket lappy drive..$80

You can use EeePc to surf web and reply to emails via wifi hot-spots. It is cheap enough that if it gets stolen it is not a big deal. Size is awesome. Get the linux one and install window on it.

Vince
shutterbug

Postby Greg B on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:59 pm

I had a similar issue last year before our trip to Spain, etc. Didn't want to spend
more than I had to, and I ended up with a Digimate III DC PARTNER 80Gb PSD.

It takes several different cards. It does not display your shots, just stores them.
There is a simple colour display, but that is just to show what is happening.

I dumped the contents of my SD cards (which included photographs and video)
onto it each night. (I was using my travel camera, a Canon S3)

The battery in it doesn't seem to be very effective, but I have only needed to
use it when I had mains power so it doesn't matter.

It functioned perfectly, getting 3,500 shots and 100 or so videos home without
a hitch. Very happy with it, taking it to Malaysia next week :D

The 80 Gb model is $181.

You can see them here
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Frankenstein on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:27 pm

I've used a PDX-70, now rebranded as another Hyperdrive unit (http://www.hyperdrive.com/HyperDrive-HD80-s/2.htm) for several years now, and it works really well. The main thing I like about it is its speed. I'm actually in Washington DC now and I'm playing with my new D300 at last; I have a couple of 4GB CF cards which are enough to store a day's shooting, and like Greg I dump the images to the PDX each night.
I also bought an eeePC, mainly for web surfing and emails while I'm away, and it works well too- certainly lighter than a conventional laptop. I didn't bother bringing an external HD to backup my images this time, but I will be doing that when I go on a photographic tour to China in Sept, just so I have 2 separate sets of shots.

There really are several choices available to you - just depends on your budget and how much you want to carry.

Frank
My photo gallery: http://www.frankalvaro.net
>>>> Nikon D300...Nikon 18-200 VR...Sigma 10-20...Tamron 90mm macro <<<<
"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. " Peter Griffin
Frankenstein

Postby Oneputt on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:33 pm

The advantage of a unit like the Epson P3000 which I use is that you can view and discard any images which do not measure up (it has a zoom facility). Downside is cost.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Underload on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Creative Zen Vision:W? 60gb unit, more of a music and video player (which might be handy...you never know) and has a CF card slot.
D200 + stuff
Underload

Postby Vodka on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:30 pm

I'm with shutterbug.

I just came back from a 4.5 week trip around Europe. Brought along an Asus eeePC 900 20Gb (which I had installed Windows on). I simply hooked up my camera to it via USB and transferred my photos to its harddisk. With the necessary software installed, I can view photos in any file format I throw at it. Reviewing photos were a lot easier on its 8.9" screen compared to the D300's 3" screen. If I needed more storage, I simply hooked up an external harddisk via USB.

I also used it for internet if there were any wi-fi hotspots, a movie player, a notepad/journal, and a power supply for my phone and Nintendo DS (I had USB cables for both of these). At a tad over 1kg (including the power adapter), it's not too heavy to carry around.

Ben
D3 | D300
Vodka

Postby Wink on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:38 pm

This sounds like a better alternative to buying a bunch of new cards for my OS trip, especially since i'm not likely to need a heap of cards again.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby Wink on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:14 am

Does anyone know if internet cafes in Europe allow you to transfer photos from a camera/memory card to your own portable hdd?
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby surenj on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:27 pm

extrapolating from poor areas of India, I would say that they definitely would. :wink:
surenj

Postby Wink on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks.

After spending hours searching for an answer and reading horror story after horror story of using internet cafes i decided to bite the bullet and order a PSD. I'd hate to go all the way to Europe only to finds i'm screwed for storage or something has been corrupted.
I got a Vosonic 5700 without the HDD. I'll by my own HDD. At least i know what i'm getting and i can get a much larger HDD for the same money the units with the HDD included cost.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Return to Equipment Reviews