Tri-X (120) enlargements

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Tri-X (120) enlargements

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:06 pm

I am looking to break out the medium format cameras for some city-scape work. I am considering using either 320 or 400 Tri-X, but also want to be able to enlarge to 20x30" prints or bigger. I would like to minimise grain, so I will not be pushing the development and will be as careful with my exposure as I can be (will use a spotmeter and the Zone system).

Will these films suit or am I better going for something slower, such as FP4 (I think it is 125)?

I am currently using Kodak HC-110 developer, although this can change.

Thoughts appreciated.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: Tri-X (120) enlargements

Postby Matt. K on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 pm

TRI-X at EV 320 ISO developed gently in HC_110 will do the trick.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:21 pm

Matt,

Why Tri-X?

For this, I'd prefer to be using AP100 (if you can get some) or FP4.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:35 pm

I have had good results with FP4

I have also loved the contrast I get from Tri-X:

Although, I appreciate that Tri-X will be grainer than FP4. Perhaps the answer is to have two backs, one with Tri-X and the other with FP4? :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby trotkiller on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 pm

If you want to minimise grain I personally would use a t-grain type film such as Tmax, fuji acros or Ilfords Delta range

If you need to be shooting at around iso 400 then the new TMAX 400 is the go, otherwise Fuji acros 100 or Ilford Delta 100. You have said you will be using the zone system and metering so you should have a problem getting the exposure right...no need to go for an older style, more forgiving and MORE GRAINY film....

For dev, xtol.... or maybe dilute HC-110... or one of the fine grain devs

You could always go the Tri-x in normal hc-110/rodinal for that classic grainy look, you said you are doing cityscape... might add to a gritty urban city scape type shot....
trotkiller

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:47 pm

trotkiller wrote:If you want to minimise grain I personally would use a t-grain type film such as Tmax, fuji acros or Ilfords Delta range

If you need to be shooting at around iso 400 then the new TMAX 400 is the go, otherwise Fuji acros 100 or Ilford Delta 100. You have said you will be using the zone system and metering so you should have a problem getting the exposure right...no need to go for an older style, more forgiving and MORE GRAINY film....

For dev, xtol.... or maybe dilute HC-110... or one of the fine grain devs

You could always go the Tri-x in normal hc-110/rodinal for that classic grainy look, you said you are doing cityscape... might add to a gritty urban city scape type shot....

Hi Jeff, did you mean "you shouldn't have a problem getting the exposure right?"

Thanks for the suggestions - for no good reason, I had always steered away from T-Max, but I have no problem using a tabular grain film. They should be cheaper, right - less silver?? :lol:
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:Thanks for the suggestions - for no good reason, I had always steered away from T-Max, but I have no problem using a tabular grain film. They should be cheaper, right - less silver?? :lol:

I don't like 'em either. Then again, I'm an old school halide whore.

I like the contrast in the FP4 images you've posted, whereas the Tri-X ones don't have quite the same punch to me.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Gary
I'm a TRI-X aholic. There is no other film nor does there need to be.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:27 pm

Matt. K wrote:Gary
I'm a TRI-X aholic. There is no other film nor does there need to be.

So, AP100 it is then. :)

THanx.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby robert on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:28 am

Dont know if its stil avbailable but i found rodinal always decreased grain regardless of what film i used.

My fave used to be Agfa apx 25 and sometimes tech pan 25- very contrasty but i like the harsh landscape look.

Delta 100 is also pretty fine grained.
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging