Mustang Light Painting

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Mustang Light Painting

Postby biggerry on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:22 am

I got a feeling there are gonna be a fair few Mustang images turning up here!

Big thanks for the use of the car and the great turn out - very very helkpful and fun.

a couple of quickies from last night...

will be great to images from others too
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Mustang Light Painting

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:45 am

Gerry,

The first two ... print them big, and put them on your wall.

Then submit them to a stock site.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:24 pm

The first is an absolute stunner there Gerry... maybe a bit of a warmer tone (check WB) but it looks terrific!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby surenj on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Phenomenal first shot Gerry! No wonder you were going for broke right at the end!! Persistence pays off...
surenj

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:28 pm

Very nice Gerry, like the first 3 a lot. 4 should be submitted to a ghostbusters program :)
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Photopotamus on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Glen wrote:Very nice Gerry, like the first 3 a lot. 4 should be submitted to a ghostbusters program :)

:agree:

I do believe that's the ghost of Surenj! :twisted:

:biglaugh:
Canon 450D/ 18-55 IS "Kit Lens" / 55-250 IS "Kit Lens 2" / 17-85 EF-S / Nifty 50 II

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
Photopotamus

Postby surenj on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 pm

Ghost of myself! :rotfl2: Scares me to even think about it!

To my annoyance, after causing all that flare for you boyz, I got a crappy shot of the hindquarters!
surenj

Postby biggerry on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:18 am

Then submit them to a stock site.

hmm, theres a thought, ta.

Thanks all for the comments, summarising what I learnt from the night;

1) LED's can be a better choice in terms of lighting the subject up, however I think i would always have a go with both or even mix and match, given i did my first one (the Beaver) with just a flash, I found that quite OK. A suitable LED would be one of the Wolfeye numbers, Cam's one which pumped out about 260 lumens (from memory) was sufficient, the only gripe is the light focus, a LED with variable 'throw' would be much better and permit a 'spill' of light rather than a 'target'.

2) The actual technique is not particularly difficult, the key aspects being the choice of location and the means to light the subject.

3) Location, this is particulary important, as mentioned in previous posts, Tunks Park was perfect, there was the option of complete darkness or a harbour side (resdential) back drop. The amount of traffic through the place is alright, just enough to make sure you do get mugged and not enough to ruin every shot :)

4) Composition, this was the hardest one for me, even very slight variations in the composition can result in an image that is great and an one that is ordinary...for example the first shot in this post was my very last shot, it was only about 6 inches away from the second last shot which was nowhere near as good - quite possibly that could be due to me not quite recognising the better composition from the get go but hey....

I actually think i might go out of my way and try and get some more pictures of cars in the future, from a composition point of view it is quite challenging and very different from the majority of what i take pictures of...anyway I digress.

5) Softbox, pretty damn important i think, the softbox i had and also Surenj (correct me here Surenj if i am wrong) had a single diffusing layer, i think a doubler layer would be beneficial. Also a softbox mounted on a telscopic boom or similar would be very handy also, this would permit the 'painter' to keep a larger portion of the light out of the FOV and also greatly assist the lighting of the roof of the car, which was always a stubborn area.

If your looking for softbox, Servaas has the 50x50cm version of mine at a very very very reasonable price (69.95) (cheaper than my purchase price :twisted: )
http://servaas.com.au/portable-photographic-flash-soft-box-diffuser-50x50cm-p-137.html

6) Lighting up the inside of the car is definitely desirable, however we found it a bit difficult to achieve decent result, would like to here suggestions from others about a good way to achieve this one.

anyway, thats enough from me, feel free to add to or correct as required!
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Gerry,

Thanks for putting your ideas on paper..

Just to clarify, my softbox was double diffused. IT would have been insteresting to see whether there was any difference between the two, especially using the same torch...

I don't want to put down the defenders but, my $20 ebay 76 LED light is more than sufficient for this job providing that you don't need it for anything else. [it doubles as a bike light that you can wear if you felt that was fashionable]
surenj

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques