Be kind to Pentax

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Be kind to Pentax

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:08 am

For those of you who didn't remember, today is Be Kind To Pentax Day.

Enjoy.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Be kind to Pentax

Postby DaveB on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:08 pm

So you're referring to the thread about the old Pentax film bodies over in the Film and non-Digital Imaging forum. My first SLR was a Pentax Spotmatic SP, with 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm lenses. They did have a certain charm.

But Pentax today seems a different creature. Just this afternoon I happened to be in a Ted's store and found this horrible beast (snapped through glass with the Canon A470 that I'm playing with at the moment [it saves DNG files]).
It takes all sorts. But do I really have to be kind to today's Pentax? :roll:
DaveB

Postby Manta on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Good lord Dave, that thing needs to be hit with a stick. Make it go away!!!!!! :shock:

(I'm guessing they could take the glass out of that window and nobody would steal it)
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Dave,

Is that the camera that you keep with your Pontiac Aztec, or perhaps the Toyota Rukus?

I do agree that the old screw mount Pentax cameras had charm-plus.

This one though ... clearly not quite the camera you need when you're wanting to not be noticed.

DaveB wrote:[it saves DNG files]

The new Canon PHD?

Cool. I guess that might be something that we may see becoming more the norm, and I think that's a good idea.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:23 pm

gstark wrote:
DaveB wrote:[it saves DNG files]

The new Canon PHD?

Cool. I guess that might be something that we may see becoming more the norm, and I think that's a good idea.

Nope, just a plain old PowerShot that was introduced in Jan'08. I've loaded up CHDK and now (as long as I have the right SD card in there) it powers up ready to take DNG files, and a whole lot of other nice tweaks. It's still limited by a tiny sensor, and not really competition to something like the S90 in terms of image quality, but it's certainly a lot nicer to use than as it was delivered by Canon.
This camera cost me $80 on eBay including delivery, and it's just an experiment to see whether this software will be useful on a couple of projects that are in the pipe...

If there's any interest in CHDK I'm happy to talk about it in a new thread rather than this Pentax thread.

Manta wrote:Good lord Dave, that thing needs to be hit with a stick. Make it go away!!!!!! :shock:

I think someone already did. The Ugly Stick!
DaveB

Postby aim54x on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Those japanese have strange taste...I would however take a stormtrooper white version of that camera....or a Ferrari red (only if it was IR converted though)
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby photomarcs on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:49 am

Ahh.. stormtrooper white it is for me :D

Now put an old school MF Pentax lens on that white piece and I'm happy.. haha
Canon | Sony | Panasonic | Tamron | Sigma
My photography is still developing.
Don't be so negative!
http://www.photomarcs.com
photomarcs

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:20 am

Normal operations have resumed, and with the example camera that was in the image that DaveB posted yesterday, we may resume being (and most deservedly so) unkind to Pentax.

Thanks for the info on the DNG , Dave. Most interesting. You're effectively loading a ROM image (or a patch) from the SD?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:51 am

gstark wrote:Thanks for the info on the DNG , Dave. Most interesting. You're effectively loading a ROM image (or a patch) from the SD?

An extension to the firmware, yes. The processors inside these cameras are effectively ARM CPUs, so we compile the program with standard compiler/assembler tools.
DaveB

Return to General Discussion