D7000 - Gary's first impressions

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D7000 - Gary's first impressions

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:04 am

I now have a D7000 for a Gadget Grill review, courtesy of Nikon Australia.

On paper, the specs of this camera seem to be awesome; I know that I looked at them and went "wow!". And in the hand, this camera camera does not disappoint. My first usage of this camera was a quick set of snaps at last Wednesday evening's blues jam, and yesterday I had a look at Google's Mitsubishi ImEV.

Here's a couple of shots from each of those events.

Google's ImEV, outside the Sydney Googleplex in Pyrmont. OOC, resized.

These are "Plug" and "Play". Google has two appropriately named electric cars; this is in their basement car park, where they're both being charged. ISO 3200, OOC, WB adjustment only, and then resized. Pixel peeping reveals some noise in the shadows of the indoor car park images that I made, but it's minor and not at all intrusive.

The jam images are ISO 2000, and obviously resized

Legendary bassist, Harry Brus. Harry was standing the shadows of the Stag, so some curves adjustment applied.

Drummer, Jim Finn. OOC.

This is a very usable camera, and handles very well. These images are all using the supplied 17-105 VR kit lens, and even wide open its sharpness is very good. I'm looking forward to more playing with this little beastie.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: D7000 - Gary's first impressions

Postby Remorhaz on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:07 am

gstark wrote:These images are all using the supplied 17-105 VR kit lens, and even wide open its sharpness is very good. I'm looking forward to more playing with this little beastie.

Hi Gary - do you mean 18-105?
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:14 am

Remorhaz wrote:
gstark wrote:These images are all using the supplied 17-105 VR kit lens, and even wide open its sharpness is very good. I'm looking forward to more playing with this little beastie.

Hi Gary - do you mean 18-105?

Sorry, of course I do.

Thanks. I'll blame the keyboard. :mrgreen:
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 am

OK, stop it you lot. Just when I talk myself out of getting a D7000, someone else posts how wonderful they are.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:54 am

Sorry, Andrew.

Before I got this review unit, I was wondering whether I should buy myself one. Half in, half out ....

And I still want a full frame body too, but my serious thoughts now are that a D7000 may well accompany me on my trip to N'Awlins next month.

The one question that bothers me is that this is (and I'm still very much in the early impressions stage) going to be a very hard act for Nikon to follow. Like, what rabbits can they pull out of the hat for their next model?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:59 pm

gstark wrote:Like, what rabbits can they pull out of the hat for their next model?

ISO 500,000 = Usable 100,000
Electronic shutter (No sync limitations)
Inbuilt wireless radio flash

:mrgreen:
surenj

Postby Remorhaz on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:22 am

Built in CPL/ND/grad nd function
Magic pixie dust which converts the 50/1.8 into an effective 5 to 2000mm f/0.8 macro lens with no optical compromises?
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:21 am

surenj wrote:Electronic shutter (No sync limitations)
Inbuilt wireless radio flash

The D70 actually has an electronic shutter, so that should be quite feasible.

Inbuilt wireless radio flash is a technical possibility, in that the tech does exist, and it's probably not difficult to implement. Of course, then you'd get the situation where the Nikon system only talks to Nikon flash units, rather than to a generic unit, which makes the whole point of the suggestion moot.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:21 am

I have heard that the CMOS sensors don't take well to electronic shutters. However in the days of CCDs it was possible.

Radio flash would extend the limits of wireless flash considerably. If the manufacturers want to implement an open standard for this (with open source software or something) that will be the day!
surenj

Postby biggerry on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:41 pm

ATJ wrote:OK, stop it you lot. Just when I talk myself out of getting a D7000, someone else posts how wonderful they are.

hahaha... one of us, one of us, one of us... you know you want one!

Good write up Gary, great to see another perspective with regard to the use of this camera! :up: :up:

Remorhaz wrote:Magic pixie dust which converts the 50/1.8 into an effective 5 to 2000mm f/0.8 macro lens with no optical compromises?

lol, that stuff exists already...but the changes only last until teh effect wears off :wink:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:16 pm

biggerry wrote:lol, that stuff exists already...but the changes only last until teh effect wears off

What?? You guys don't have the pixie dust filter?? :shock: Perhaps they will release some firmware. If not, maybe you need to find a dealer in Australia? :mrgreen:
surenj

Return to Equipment Reviews