Nikon V1 or Fuji X10?

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Nikon V1 or Fuji X10?

Postby ozimax on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi folks.

It seems that there has been quite a bit of discussion here (and at other sites) on these two cameras. I have bought and sold a number of 4/3s type cameras in recent months. I am heading over to Europe next month for about 4 weeks and I don't want to lug my 5Dii & kit, preferring something smaller.

After trying and trying, I just don't think I can buy another camera that doesn't have some sort of workable viewfinder. It doesn't have to be an astonishing VF like the X100, which I owned for a couple of months but sold due to it's focussing issues, or should I say, my inability to get it to focus consistently. It was most probably not the camera, but me. I just don't like holding a camera at arms' length to compose a photograph.

The upcoming Xpro1 looks interesting but it will be fearfully expensive. I have read numerous reviews on the V1 and the X10. Matt seems to be getting his X10 to sing nicely, but what think the rest of ye? Image quality for me is paramount, but focussing ability is not far behind on my requirement checklist.

Any suggestions welcomed. I don't leave for Europe until February 24 so I have plenty of time to consider things.

Many thanks,

Oz.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Nikon V1 or Fuji X10?

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Oz, will you be in Sydney anytime soon?

I can arrange for you have a play with the V1 while I still have it.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:59 pm

I always coming through Sydney Gary, but they're usually lightning visits enroute to elsewhere. If I get down in the next few weeks, I'll contact you. Many thanks.

Edit: "Down" as in coming down the Pacific Highway to Sydney, not "Down" as in "down-in-the-dumps". :biglaugh:
ozimax

Postby aim54x on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Tough call..the V1 should edge out the X10 in terms of IQ...but that may not be the case as both cameras have great IQ and I have never put them side by side...and the X10 is cheaper.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Oz
I really enjoy using the X10 and its image quality is pretty good for a small sensor camera. Images are clean up to 1600 ISO. I really love the colours that this camera puts out. They are simply enchanting. If you would be happy with prints up to about 13 inches then the camera is certainly capable. However...it has a few nits that you have to learn to love. The menu takes some getting used to but then after a few reads of the menu and a bit of a play around it comes together OK. The viewfinder is very good despite the fact that you can see part of the lens in it at the wide angle setting. Its not a deal breaker for me and in no way spoils the ability to use the camera. Macro is excellent. Focusing is not super fast but not bad. I wouldn't use the camera for sports photography unless I was desperate. The lens is outstanding and pics are sharp and crisp if you do everything right. It has IS and that works very well. The manual zoom is a joy to use and a big plus. Biggest negative for me is lack of a viewfinder focus confirmation....but the little audio beep does the same thing. It needs its leather case. I gotta admit that I haven't used my D300 since I got the X10....but then it's the new bride syndrome. On the other hand I could understand some folk buying this camera and not liking it so certainly try before you buy.
Some further examples:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby ozimax on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks Gary, Cameron, Matt.

I did have a play with one tonight at my local camera shop (Camera House Coffs Hbr) and it seemed a sweet little unit. I didn't get to play with the V1 although they did have a white one in stock.

I took several portraits of the shop assistant, standing next to a fluorescent light. They were underexposed by a fair bit as I couldn't figure out the optical viewfinder as there is no information given. However, as Matt has stated, a little practice would I imagine make things work. The VF is indeed very bright, and light years ahead of the dinky little thing in the Canon G series, which are functionally useless.

The search continues.

Ozi.
ozimax

Return to Equipment Reviews