New D200 pics

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby birddog114 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:31 pm

That new Nikon macro flash is nice, but it ain't cheap btw.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:32 pm

You are sure hyped-up about this marco

True blackwater, but i'll cool down and wait to really paw over the real specs when announced then deliberate about how i'll use it as my main body. I won't be getting rid of my D70 yet. Then I'll probably think about it a bit more. :wink:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby mitedo on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:32 pm

Looks a bit like canons MT24EXMacro twin flash the Nikon one looks as if it clips on some how to the front of the lens
Kevin
mitedo

Postby NikonUser on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:36 pm

Birddog114 wrote:That new Nikon macro flash is nice, but it ain't cheap btw.

Since when has that stopped any of us? :roll:
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby mdboo on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 pm

NikonUser wrote:

?? Stopped me dead in my tracks :cry: :cry: :cry:
The most secure computer in the world is one not connected to the internet. Thats why I recommend Telstra ADSL.
mdboo

Postby birddog114 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:49 pm

NikonUser wrote:

None, the power of lust always wins first! :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby mdboo on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:51 pm

yes yes...eventually the power of lens lust will prevail :D

Just a matter of time :)
The most secure computer in the world is one not connected to the internet. Thats why I recommend Telstra ADSL.
mdboo

Postby Jumbuck on Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:26 pm

gstark wrote:Will the release of the D200 suddenly make your current camera a bad one?
Why will y'all be trading up to this?

Not sure I get your point here. Did the camera you had before your D70 suddenly go bad?

I think its a fair call if people are interested in upgrading their equipment, they will do this for reasons that are important to them. And my guess is that the D200 will be quite a tangible improvement over the D70 or D70s. Whether you are likely to need or want these improvements is, again, up to the individual. Nothing to do with cameras suddenly going bad.

Jumbuck
Finally making transition from film to digital and am currently in the middle of emptying my bank account on new digital gear.
Jumbuck

Postby christiand on Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:50 pm

Hi all,

did I miss something or where is the official NIKON site
showing the D200 ???

I must have mised something ...

Cheers,
CD
christiand

Postby Glen on Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:58 pm

Christian, they stick the images up for a few hours as if it was an accident, then pull them down. In the meantime they are downloaded and everyone believes they have a scoop. It is the new form of marketing in the internet era. They would get nowhere near the hype if they were left up. Look at Darbs site or Garys, those shots are the real thing from Nikons site.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:27 pm

And it works too!
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:28 pm

:wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Jumbuck on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:32 pm

christiand wrote:Hi all,

showing the D200 ???

Cheers,
CD

Yes, I was the first to post and display official images of the D200 at dslrusers, posted in this thread: D200 - OFFICIAL IMAGES. I captured them myself from the Nikon UK site.

Paul was not happy I scooped it on dslrusers and Gary didn't like the idea of me starting a new thread and warned me about image copyright, he closed the thread. I removed the images considering all the negativity.

But yes, they were from the Nikon UK website. Whether they were on the Nikon UK site just to stir things up is debatable. Many have downloaded them, I just can't show you them here on this site.

Jumbuck
Last edited by Jumbuck on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Finally making transition from film to digital and am currently in the middle of emptying my bank account on new digital gear.
Jumbuck

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:39 pm

I just went and had a squizo at dpreview.

and they are all going nuts over it! though nothing like the canon forums on the eve of the 5D
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby stubbsy on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 am

Jumbuck wrote:

showing the D200 ???

Cheers,
CD

Yes, I was the first to post official images of the D200 at dslrusers, posted in this thread: D200 - OFFICIAL IMAGES. I captured them myself from the Nikon UK site.

Paul was not happy I scooped it with posting the first official images of the D200 on dslrusers and Gary didn't like the idea of me starting a new thread about them and further warned me about image copyright, he closed the thread. I removed the images considering all the negativity.

But yes, they were from the Nikon UK website. Whether they were on the Nikon UK site just to stir things up is debatable. Many have downloaded them, I just can't show you them here on this site.

Jumbuck

Jumbuck

While that's an impressive CV you have there, I'd say Gary actually beat everyone, including you, with his advance pics of the D200 launch here :wink: :lol:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Jumbuck on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:31 am

stubbsy wrote:Jumbuck

While that's an impressive CV you have there, I'd say Gary actually beat everyone, including you, with his advance pics of the D200 launch here :wink: :lol:

OK, I concede defeat !!

Jumbuck
Jumbuck

Postby Onyx on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:53 am

Kipper pointed out the 'Pacman' button on the bottom right at the back of the cam - the same as is on the SU-800 controller. I'm guessing Pacman represents either the battery comparment or the flash hotshoe. ;)

The viewfinder looks disappointingly small...

Anyone got the PDF manual for the D200 yet? 8)
Onyx

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:51 am

Jumbuck wrote:
gstark wrote:Will the release of the D200 suddenly make your current camera a bad one?
Why will y'all be trading up to this?

Not sure I get your point here. Did the camera you had before your D70 suddenly go bad?

That is actually the point of my question. If your D70 (or D50, or 350D or whatever) is still in good working order and still helping you make good images, what do you expect from upgrading to a D200?

I think its a fair call if people are interested in upgrading their equipment, they will do this for reasons that are important to them. And my guess is that the D200 will be quite a tangible improvement over the D70 or D70s. Whether you are likely to need or want these improvements is, again, up to the individual. Nothing to do with cameras suddenly going bad.

Ok, what would you call a tangible improvement? I note that you used the singlar here, so I'm expecting that you would choose just one killer feature that will do this for you.

And, do you then expect to be a better photographer as a result of the upgrade?

And if the answer is no, then why would you bother? (which brings us back to the first question!)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:53 am

christiand wrote:I must have mised something ...

Nikon UK has 5 images online.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:03 am

Jumbuck,

A couple of salient points.

First of all, a warning :- we do NOT TOLERATE pissing contests here.

Never have, and never will. I've recieved a number of complaints about this posting of your's so please, pull your head in before it gets chopped off.

Now, on to your content ...

Jumbuck wrote:

showing the D200 ???

Cheers,
CD

Yes, I was the first to post and display official images of the D200 at dslrusers, posted in this thread:

As noted above, we will not tolerate your feeble attempt to have a pissing contest.

And get your facts right: you were NOT the first to post this stuff here, and in any event, nobody really cares who was first anyway.

It is not important.

and Gary didn't like the idea of me starting a new thread and warned me about image copyright, he closed the thread. I removed the images considering all the negativity.

You don't feel that the fact that you broke about a half dozen of our rules here is a cause for me to feel a bit pissed off?

You don't feel a need to be a good member of our community and use the SEARCH function?

Again, who cares? Do yourself a favour, and check out the early messages in this thread. You'll find at least THREE references/links to other sites that have downloaded these images, including my own.

Again, use the SEARCH function, and again, check your facts.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:07 am

Onyx wrote:Kipper pointed out the 'Pacman' button on the bottom right at the back of the cam - the same as is on the SU-800 controller. I'm guessing Pacman represents either the battery comparment or the flash hotshoe. ;)

Neither. It's adjacent to and immediately above the CF compartment. It represents the CF compartment's door being open, most likely.

Anyone got the PDF manual for the D200 yet? 8)

I looked in a couple of likely places but with no luck.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Sheetshooter on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:30 am

gstark wrote:You don't feel that the fact that you broke about a half dozen of our rules here is a cause for me to feel a bit pissed off?

But wasn't it just the other day that you told Jaco that rules were there to be broken? [TIC]

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby dooda on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:37 am

I heard somewhere that Nikon is launching the new D200 to look like a retro sci-fi spaceship with lazers.

Can anyone confirm this?
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:04 am

IMHO, the new Nikkor 18-200 VR will be a good replacement lens of the 24-120VR, if it's in pair of the quality of glass with the 24-120VR.

So, then no one complaints about the lacking of the wide end as the kit lens (18-70), thus it's giving you super zoom at 200mm.

We have to wait to see the outcome in between both once it's released.

If it's the case, then the 24-120VR will go back into the cupboard and have an early retirement :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:06 am

dooda wrote:I heard somewhere that Nikon is launching the new D200 to look like a retro sci-fi spaceship with lazers.

Can anyone confirm this?

I can :D
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby kipper on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:12 am

Birddog, the 18-200VR while most likely not in the same league as the 70-200VR, it will make I think if at a good price an excellent addition at some stage to my lens collection :)

Of course along with the 300VR :roll:
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:20 am

kipper wrote:Birddog, the 18-200VR while most likely not in the same league as the 70-200VR, it will make I think if at a good price an excellent addition at some stage to my lens collection :)

Yes, if it's up to its standard and hopefully it'll, Nikon did do lot of improvements on the 24-120VR lately and I think they got the message of their fans to have an " all round" zoom, of course, it'll never ever beat the quality of the 70-200VR.

Yes, played with the 300VR yesterday at Williamtown RAAF in full day, what can I ask more!!!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:32 am

Birddog114 wrote:
kipper wrote:Birddog, the 18-200VR while most likely not in the same league as the 70-200VR, it will make I think if at a good price an excellent addition at some stage to my lens collection :)

Yes, if it's up to its standard and hopefully it'll, Nikon did do lot of improvements on the 24-120VR lately and I think they got the message of their fans to have an " all round" zoom, of course, it'll never ever beat the quality of the 70-200VR.

Yes, played with the 300VR yesterday at Williamtown RAAF in full day, what can I ask more!!!!!!

sorry off-topic - Birdie, did you try out different TC's?
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:36 am

HB,
Yes, 1.4/ 1.7 and 2.0
Still prefer 1.4 or 1.7 though. Not much life with the 2.0 and hard with handholding techniques.

You know, how hot was yesterday upthere! nearly 4 hours on the flight line and no shelter.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:40 am

Thanks Birdie. focal length with 300VR+1.7TC=540mm PLUS 1.5 crop factor is 765mm... 2xcrop=1020mm...

Very cool. I am sure you will enjoy this lens. You definately deserve it.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:44 am

Heath Bennett wrote:Thanks Birdie. focal length with 300VR+1.7TC=540mm PLUS 1.5 crop factor is 765mm... 2xcrop=1020mm...

Very cool. I am sure you will enjoy this lens. You definately deserve it.

I got them in, and gone with the wind (SOLD OUT), yes we all did pay for their lusts. :twisted:

Next one will be one and it's "REAL" mine!!!!! :D
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby pippin88 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:27 am

If the 18-200 is of equal or near quality to the 18-70 or 24-120 it will make a great general lens.

I'd probably sell my Kit Lens and 70-300ED to get it, if it proves to be of that quality. BTW, Birddog, do you have a figure on the macro flash, or are you just teasing? Or maybe your lips are sealed?
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby MATT on Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:33 am

I'M with you Pippin, If it turns out as good as my 24-120Vr, I'll sell it, the kit and my piece of crap 70-300g and invest . :lol: :lol: Maybe :roll:

How cool does the D200 Look :D sweet. Doesnt matter if it takes good pics as long as it looks good doing it

MATT
MATT

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:35 am

pippin88 wrote: BTW, Birddog, do you have a figure on the macro flash, or are you just teasing? Or maybe your lips are sealed?

pippin88

Look at the SB29, it's selling US$360.00 on B&H site + shipping. + the SC 29 if you want to use other wireless flash.

So you can do your math to figure out the total cost of it with the SU800.

It's also brought a notice from our source of suppliers:
Nikon has no stock or the SC-29 is now discontinued, except few online stores still have them, I have lot of backorders of the SC29, but no sign of them available.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:37 am

MATT wrote:I'M with you Pippin, If it turns out as good as my 24-120Vr, I'll sell it, the kit and my piece of crap 70-300g and invest . :lol: :lol: Maybe :roll:

How cool does the D200 Look :D sweet. Doesnt matter if it takes good pics as long as it looks good doing it

MATT

MATT,
Forget about it, go for the 70-200 either Nikkor or Sigma, it won't help you much, coz you already got the Nikkor 24-120VR.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MATT on Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:44 am

You may be right Birdy,

Next FBT year, April 1 2006 thats the plan ( with your help).

Mine plan not the wifes.

2007 was going to be a new body, but... Rugby World CUp 2007 in France :D :D .

Once again my plan , not the wifes but only cause the rugby boys want a boys trip away. :D :D

All this and I'll still take crap photos, Oh well its about the memories

MATT
MATT

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:05 am

Sheetshooter wrote:
gstark wrote:You don't feel that the fact that you broke about a half dozen of our rules here is a cause for me to feel a bit pissed off?

But wasn't it just the other day that you told Jaco that rules were there to be broken? [TIC]

Some rules are inviolate, and especially the one about flaming, which he did in another (now suspended) thread.

Flaming the owner of the board, especially when you're relatively new around the place, is not generally recognised to be the wisest course of action. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Jumbuck on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:56 am

Well I must say I have never experienced so much hostility.

I simply posted images of the D200 because I thought people may be interested in official images from Nikon UK. I certainly was and was quite excited about posting them here.

I have removed the images contained in my first post in light of the flaming I have received and in respect for Gary's concerns.

I had hoped we could have discussions on the D200, instead I see people are more keen to put a newcomer down in posts that really don't relate very well to the thread topic.

I guess I'll just have to live and learn how things are done here.

Jumbuck
Jumbuck

Postby Jumbuck on Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:27 am

I unreservedly apologise in this main thread for anything I have said that has caused concern for any member.

Jumbuck
Jumbuck

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:36 am

Jumbuck wrote:I unreservedly apologise in this main thread for anything I have said that has caused concern for any member.

Jumbuck

MAny thanx; apology accepted.

Now go outside and fill up your CF card with images!

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Jumbuck on Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:38 am

gstark wrote:MAny thanx; apology accepted.

Now go outside and fill up your CF card with images!

:)

On my way!!

Jumbuck
Jumbuck

Postby stubbsy on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:24 pm

Jumbuck

Being a newbie we have little from you to go on so this saga doesn't show you in a terribly good light. It's unfortunate and something we can all hopefully put behind us.

On my part I'm very impressed by anyone that has the guts to do what you have just done with your apology above. You are to be commended for it. Now, like Gary says, get out there and contribute your pics (and you ideas and comments) to the community.

Welcome.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Jeko70 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi all,

D200! And then!

Ok, D200 photos! Ok details! Ok, information escaped from Nikon's hand.

I would like to know what will change to you that you have seen it. To me it does not change anything!

Why?

Do you think that your photos will be able to be made any better?
Do you think will be cheap camera?
Do you think that they give it for free?
Do you think will be available tomorrow?
Do you think that it resolves all your problems?
Do you think that after two months that you have it between the hands you do not wish the D800?

I don't know, but to me the answers are somewhat negative!

I hope that the imminent release makes it to increase you wants to
photograph and to not only speak about objects of desire.
If the search of the "futuristic material", would be dedicated to the real photography art, I'm pretty sure the world of the art
will get more benefits!

Do you really think that 18-200VR will be ever a good lense?
I don't think so!

Any lense more than x3 will be a mediocre lense. With or without VR!

Ad maiora

Fab
Cogito Ergo Sum!....Our World Is Not For Sale....
Photocinearts Michelangelo Antonioni Flickr
Jeko70

Postby dooda on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:03 pm

will a 10 mp camera make printing at 20x30 any better. I'm about to try out a 20x30 picture, and I think I'd like to do more of it. Just wondering.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby dooda on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:15 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpeicthus/56469972/

A comparison of D70s and d200. I tried to look at the viewfinder size. Good to see that the body size isn't that much bigger than D70s.

Also, I wonder about the optional vertical grip, and I wonder if it will have add-ons?

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:37 pm

The main reason behind my reason and perhaps some others reason to purchase a D200 if/when it comes out is perhaps that the d70 isnt built to withstand professional work all the time.

and the d200 leans a little more towards a professional build that can deal with that such treatment.
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby glamy on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:20 pm

One of the reason to change is just that, "change". I love a new toy especially one that is nice and can be justified because of improvements. And why bother with 18-200, you could have a 17-55 on one body and a 70-200 on the other and no compromise. I think this is the way to go... and get fit!
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Next

Return to Nikon