DSLRusers.com 2011 Events

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby biggerry on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:32 am

So, as 2010 draws to a close its a great time to reflect on the year that has passed (holy crap it has passed quick!) and some of the more enjoyable and successful events that have shaped your life and the little old digital land of DSLRusers.com

Once you have done that we can have a look at what 2011 can bring and what YOU would like to see in 2011 :cheers:

So, for me personally, some of the highlights from the past year, all of which have involved catching up with friends made through the forum, are as follows, these are not in any particular order;

1) Newcastle Photo Safari - this was a cracking event, a full day of photography, a day of diverse subjects, planes to pools to people to seascapes to sunsets. A great day with great company - this day was one of, if not the best DSLRusers event of the year for me.

2) FIre Twirling @ coogee - evening session with Cam and some of his contacts at the USYD fire twirling group, great evening out with some challenges in getting differet types of shots, I learnt alot this night about flash and its use with slow shutter speed - nice one!

3) Stubbsy's 2x2 walks - these were always great, disturbingly well organised and always a pleasure to attend, a real shame they have dropped off the radar, however I understand why. These days always provided great shots, learning and lunch (thats always important :) )

4) DSLRusers Exhibition - I was surprised at the interest and turn out for this event, it was a great learnign excerise for me and great to see some of the forum members images up on the wall on canvas. The last one was delivered to Wendell just the other night, who may well auction it off for Charity - good on ya, Wendell your a good egg :wink:

5) Street Photography Session in Newtown - was this 2010? anyway, this was a great event, there was only a few of us who turned up but it was a great way to connect with the locals and get to know some of the many faces that make up a diverse and interesting crowd in Newtown.

6) The numerous sunrise sessions - from Whale Beach thru to Malabar we made a serious dent in the seascape scene in the sydney area, well done to those turned up and dragged themselves out of bed to have a go. This is the best time of teh day for photography and some of the shots posted from these events reflects this.

What else? have I forgotten any?

So that brings us to 2011.

What are we gonna do that will top 2010? what events would YOU like to see happen in 2011, what are the areas that YOU would like to work on?

For me, I would love to see a couple of Phoro Safari's in 2011, I am willing to travel and stay overnight to get to the location (as i did for the newie one), these obviously take a fair amount of commitment but with some good planning they are certainly achieveable, even for those with kids :)

I would also like to see a PP session, maybe a sunrise session followed by a couple of hours going through the PP process.

A portrait/people session would also be great, Wendell I am lookign squarely at you here mate :wink: , however I know there are others out there with a lot to give, a session workign with experience peeps to see how interaction should be done with a model (note this does not have to be glamour, it could well be just better quality family portraits - or a street shoot session, Wendell I would love to see you in action on teh sheet :up: )

Sunrise sessions - well these are a given, there are few dedicated nutters here who you can rely on for some company on those drab cloudless days.....

What else? I am sure more will come to me as the days pass :)

So whats gonna make DSLRusers.com a forum people are going to want to visit and CONTRIBUTE in 2011, not a forum where peeps drop by after checking the other 7 forums on their list :wink:

My motto for 2011 is gonna be quality over quantity - this forum has in the past reflected this for me, it may never have the quantity of some of the other big aussie forums but I really believe it can provide sooo much more through the quality. All photography forums have pictures posted and comments posted, lets make this one standout for the comments, lets make it one very large step removed form the flickr style forum :up: Lets make the meetups something different (as they sometimes are :wink: ) and unique.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: DSLRusers.com 2011 Events

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:24 am

I for one would like to see the 2x2s revived.

Those Sunrise shoots are just too far away though. Gotta pack a cut lunch to get to them & if I am eating lunch on the way, I guess I'm not gunna get there in time for sunrise :roll:

I like your idea of a shoot coupled with a PP session. Antarctica would be a good venue. :P

A few food meets would be nice, but why oh why do they all have to be out in the boonies. Surely a nice central location like Blackheath would be better. :twisted:

Ideas for Safaris:
Jenolan Caves
Dubbo Zoo
Any small country town. e.g. Gulgong, Gloucester, Goulburn
The ghost town (Yerranderie)
Newnes
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:47 pm

I would love to attend pretty much all of the suggestions listed above, but travel is my issue. I find there are a lot of Sydney / NSW folks who meet up regularly but I can never seem to get the time away to travel such far distances, maybe we can get more things happening in victoria? I personally would love to meet up and learn from one another and get to know all the vics like all of the Sydneyites do!

Biggerry :
So whats gonna make DSLRusers.com a forum people are going to want to visit and CONTRIBUTE in 2011, not a forum where peeps drop by after checking the other 7 forums on their list

**I must say this is the only forum saved as a bookmark on my mac, and the only one i visit!**

I don't think any of the other forums have that closeness I find we have on here! I'd hate for it to turn out like any of the other forums! :lol:
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby surenj on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Gerry, thanks for this thread.

The sunrise sessions will continue this year. [After April daylight savings] :wink: There are a few places we haven't been yet. Besides it's nice to revisit some of the old favourites.... Thanks to you and others for turning up and organising them. There is something special about seeing the sunrise during the weekends after a week of hard labour.

biggerry wrote:even for those with kids

If you can attend, then anyone else doesn't really have much of an excuse.

biggerry wrote:1) Newcastle Photo Safari

Great to be part of this one! This was a cracking day indeed. The irony was that I had so much more space to house others. I will never have that much space; ever.

biggerry wrote:5) Street Photography Session in Newtown - was this 2010?
 LOL no. This was 2009 I think.

biggerry wrote: Wendell I am lookign squarely at you here mate

I thought we went through this during the Chrissy Meximeet. Wendell has promised a female model who is comfortable with having lots of males shooting at her. :mrgreen:

I would love to attend a another fire twirling session though. :wink:

biggerry wrote: street shoot session

This gets me thinking....

I second the PP session. [We should do this with PS CS to show the principles rather than a specific programs one could use]

Other ideas...
1. Portraits - we need experts to show us how to direct models, other tips tricks etc etc
2. Studio
3. Macro
4. Themed shoots ie focal length restricted (walkabout treasure hunt style)
5. More competitions with prizes (no matter how trivial)
6. Product photography
7. Lightpainting - There are a few locations we could try with the peeps we met in Bondi Sculptures

Also, I think if we doing an outing we should try to get the best light (ie NOT midday sun if possible).

Happy new year to you all! May all your dreams come true. [If you keep them to a minimum there is more of a chance.. :wink: ]
surenj

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:53 pm

I have to apologise for my lacklustre attendence in 2010...I will try to improve for 2011..

I like the idea of more photo safari's!!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:I for one would like to see the 2x2s revived.

:agree:

Mr Darcy wrote:Those Sunrise shoots are just too far away though

Understood, there were some Blue Mnts sunrise shoots, one of which I was keen to get to but failed, I for one do not have a problem heading up the mountains.

Mr Darcy wrote:A few food meets would be nice, but why oh why do they all have to be out in the boonies. Surely a nice central location like Blackheath would be better.

there are some great eats up in the mountains - again I would be keen, probably just need some more notice thats all. Quite frankly there is a fairly large contingency of members in teh mountains so doing something up there is sensible.

Whats that lake/dam which is there, you see it from the highway (on teh right) when heading thru the mountains, I always wondered whether that location had potential.

Also valley of the waters would be great now, all the rain means waterfall shoots are game on!

bigsarg7 wrote:I would love to attend pretty much all of the suggestions listed above, but travel is my issue. I find there are a lot of Sydney / NSW folks who meet up regularly but I can never seem to get the time away to travel such far distances, maybe we can get more things happening in victoria? I personally would love to meet up and learn from one another and get to know all the vics like all of the Sydneyites do!

There are quite a few victorian members, it would be good to guage some interest from them! Plus victoria has some stunning scenery, from Melbourne to up there near seymour and around those lake areas and the rivers.....man..potential potential potential :)

That said if you are visting sydney and have a few hours to kill, just post up and I am sure some of us will come out of the woodwork.

bigsarg7 wrote:I don't think any of the other forums have that closeness I find we have on here! I'd hate for it to turn out like any of the other forums

I guess what I was saying I want more/maintain the quality then quantity and I think that goes hand in hand with 'closeness' :up: I also think we can learn alot from other forums too!

surenj wrote:If you can attend, then anyone else doesn't really have much of an excuse.

yeah kids ain't an excuse in my books anymore :rotfl2:

surenj wrote:LOL no. This was 2009 I think.

doh, musta been real good if it is still in my memory!

surenj wrote:I would love to attend a another fire twirling session though.

coupled with some pyro steel wool action...remind me about this one Suren I am hanging out for this!

surenj wrote:4. Themed shoots ie focal length restricted (walkabout treasure hunt style)

yeah, good idea, maybe even take it one step further, manual primes only :rotfl2: This would be fun, we all meet up in teh city or newtown (good graf there) head out for some shots for an hour or so then reconvene for coffee/drinks/brunch and discuss.

surenj wrote:Happy new year to you all! May all your dreams come true. [If you keep them to a minimum there is more of a chance.. ]

:rotfl2: yeah i cut them right down, having a decent coffee in the morning is somethign I dream about every night now :roll:
biggerry

Postby surenj on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:17 pm

biggerry wrote:coupled with some pyro steel wool action...remind me about this one Suren I am hanging out for this!

I already bought a box of wool for this.... Just need the matches and the location. :mrgreen: Perhaps we can contact the experts we met the other day for locations...

biggerry wrote: I for one do not have a problem heading up the mountains.

This could even be a safari type of event. I am keen.

Mr Darcy wrote:Those Sunrise shoots are just too far away though. Gotta pack a cut lunch to get to them & if I am eating lunch on the way, I guess I'm not gunna get there in time for sunrise

Greg, Why don't you think of some places inbetween? Perhaps we can maximise the attendence that way. [although I am not so sure]
surenj

Postby surenj on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:19 pm

Also, I'd like to see some definite events(dates fixed) coming out of this thread. [I'd hate for the thread to be forgotten... :wink: ]

Just sayin....
surenj

Postby Remorhaz on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:03 am

I'm really liking the sound of some of those ideas. I only got to a few of the events Gerry listed (two of the sunrise shoots) but I really learnt a lot from the experience of doing something I'd never tried before and of course it was fantastic to meet up with other like minded photographers and meet some of the identities of the forum in the real world :)

The intensive photo safari sounds like it was fantastic and a great idea as does the PP session (won't everyone using different software make this much more tricky however - Bridge/ACR, Lightroom, PS CS, Aperture, Capture NX2, Capture One, etc). Is it possible to halve into the basic post import techniques (e.g. the sort of stuff you'd do in say ACR but should apply to just about every package) versus the more advanced editing one might do in say PS CS later with layers, etc?

Although to be frank for someone like me with little experience doing much photography outside things I regularly shoot (candid children/portraits) or things I just research and read up on and then try, pretty much all of these ideas sound like fantastic learning, practicing and sharing experiences. Gaining technical knowledge from books, online, etc doesn't necessarily translate into successful images because if I'm experimenting/taking them in isolation I have no actual feedback or direction other than my own if you know what I mean.

Other things I'd love to learn, improve, try, share, include:
- light painting
- single off camera flash - wireless, modifiers, umbrella, reflectors, etc - techniques, looks, etc
- staged portrait/model - Wendell's offer at the Xmas meet sounded great
- landscape photography
- street photography
- studio photography?
- product photography
- camera settings and shooting techniques
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby biggerry on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:49 am

surenj wrote:I already bought a box of wool for this.... Just need the matches and the location. Perhaps we can contact the experts we met the other day for locations...

good idea - location wise, I am thinking of a concrete jungle of sorts, will need to research this one since I do not frequent disused concrete locations anymore :) The other thing for the steelwool trick is a piece of aluminium pipe and a cordless drill, safety glasses also essential.

Remorhaz wrote:great idea as does the PP session (won't everyone using different software make this much more tricky however - Bridge/ACR, Lightroom, PS CS, Aperture, Capture NX2, Capture One, etc). Is it possible to halve into the basic post import techniques (e.g. the sort of stuff you'd do in say ACR but should apply to just about every package) versus the more advanced editing one might do in say PS CS later with layers, etc?

yes it will be tricky, however what I reckon would work well - as a start, is if everyone has a image they have got from the day or a ready made one and they simply explain what they did to get to the end result with their chosen piece of software, that way someone like myself who does not use PS extensively can learn from someone who tweaks shots in PS and vice versa, someone who does not use CNX2 can see how I tweak a picture, whilst they may never use the software basic PP concepts are pretty common. The other thing with this is that as someone explains their PP process others can contribute and provide hints or alternatives.

The act of 'doing' is often the best way to learn as long as everyone has respect for the way each other does things. This is applicable in any field.
biggerry

Postby ozimax on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:25 pm

I find it hard to get to any meets more than once in a blue moon, seeing as I live in no man's land on the north coast, but I would like to get to a meet that features honing of portrait skills. This is 99% of my photography now. My two bob's worth. Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby colin_12 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:00 pm

I would also be interested in some more meets and comps.
I miss the comps. They showed some interesting pics and tallent to boot.
I get to what I can and would love some safari type stuff to happen. There was a 4x4 trip suggested by Sheepie during the year but it had to be postponed.
Most of us should be able to organise at least one weekend every couple of months at least?
It is always good to see how others work and learn from each other.
Lets make it happen.....How about we start with a mountains outing to do valley of the waters as suggeted earlier?
Mid January anyone?
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby biggerry on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm

ozimax wrote:I find it hard to get to any meets more than once in a blue moon, seeing as I live in no man's land on the north coast, but I would like to get to a meet that features honing of portrait skills. This is 99% of my photography now. My two bob's worth. Ozi.

understood. :up:

colin_12 wrote:Lets make it happen.....How about we start with a mountains outing to do valley of the waters as suggeted earlier?
Mid January anyone?

Valley of the waters is a great choice imo, is there much water up there now? This location has plentiful compositions and subjects, I personally would be looking at macros and waterfall shots and teh occasional cliche BM pano. Start early in the mornign and finish off at one of teh cafes for brunch / lunch.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Valley of the Waters sounds good....make it a Sunday please!!!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:29 pm

biggerry wrote:is there much water up there now?

I went for a walk down to Jamison Creek this morning. It was up a little, but not a lot - I was able to cross it OK.
FYI that's the Creek that feeds Wentworth Falls.
Weather permitting, I will head down to Empire Falls (at the top of Valley of the Waters) tomorrow & see how that looks.
biggerry wrote:Start early in the mornign and finish off at one of teh cafes for brunch / lunch.

WHat no cut lunch??? I'll starve getting there :wink:
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby wendellt on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:41 pm

i can do the portrait and studio thing no proba

ill just need someone to organise people to get together dont have much time these days to chase people

also i need some big space for the studio thing i have all the equipment but no free or cheap studio

so if someone can make a date and round up people ill do it

just make it before feb 5th as ill be overseas after that
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Matt. K on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:57 pm

I'm prepared to run a couple of PP workshops next year...just need a venue....a crowd..... and a computer with Photoshop and a projector. Let's make 2011 a busy year for the forum.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby surenj on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:45 am

Wendell, thanks for your time! I have already started a thread asking for some ideas for studio space...
http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40403

We could always use the Dunlop factory or Glebe tram sheds of course....

Matt, thanks for volunteering for the PP session. Now we need to lock down the time.
surenj

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:49 am

I like the sounds of this thread...

I think Melbourne crowd has been a bit quiet too :surrender:

i like the sound of a photoshop workshop, a studio shoot, and an outdoor portrait session, any other Melbournites want to step up and arrange something? :cheers:
Oz_Beachside

Postby surenj on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:52 am

I am not familiar with the valley of waters and could only find a few photos (if any) of the place. Perhaps it's because of the search strategy for common words?

Is this typical of what to expect? There wasn't much water on this photo though?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/c_bates/4068534920/
surenj

Postby Big V on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:04 pm

Surenj, you will need a butane lighter for the steel wool, matches will not work.
Canon
Big V

Postby wendellt on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:36 pm

Yeah the glebe tram place sounds good never shot there before what do we have to do to get access

How about cockatoo island there are lots of dark places there where I could set up my lights for studio demonstration
And after we can shoot on location all atbthe same place
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby biggerry on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:49 pm

wendellt wrote:Yeah the glebe tram place sounds good never shot there before what do we have to do to get access

How about cockatoo island there are lots of dark places there where I could set up my lights for studio demonstration
And after we can shoot on location all atbthe same place

I have done both locations and both lend themselves to this kind of stuff - we just make sure we are clear that it is not a commercial venture.

Cockatoo island - access is easy, via ferry
Glebe Tram sheds - has to be a week day, from memory they open it up during the week, when I was tehre last there was also a power grid in there.

check here:
http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39444&hilit=tram

and

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39576&p=415898&hilit=tram#p415898
biggerry

Postby colin_12 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:21 pm

surenj wrote:I am not familiar with the valley of waters and could only find a few photos (if any) of the place. Perhaps it's because of the search strategy for common words?

Is this typical of what to expect? There wasn't much water on this photo though?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/c_bates/4068534920/

There are several sets of falls at the valley of the waters site, on a Sunday we may even get people abseiling down one of the higher ones. It is at the Western end of the undrcliff walk just down from the conservation hut.
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby chrisk on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:05 pm

biggerry wrote:Glebe Tram sheds - has to be a week day, from memory they open it up during the week, when I was tehre last there was also a power grid in there.

Weekdays...yes pls. Happy to take a day off work to meet up and get a shoot done. Weekends are almost always out for me. :cheers:
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Valley of the waters event now in a separate thread
Date: 15 Jan
We expect to see you there Karen :wink:
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby bigsarg7 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:17 pm

Can we arrange for a meet of some sort around the Photography Expo which is being held up in Sydney In June? My husband and I are coming to the expo, its our 10th wedding anniversary so we're leaving the kids with family and we're off! I figure there might be quite a few of us gathering up there for the expo. Would love to do something, not just touristy! lol (only been to sydney once before!)

Oz_Beachside ---- I'm up for a meet, pp workshop, studio workshop - surely there are more then us 2 from vic wanting a meet, I'd love to do some vehicle shooting, I find vehicles a great object, but often hard to photograph!
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:39 pm

bigsarg7 wrote:Can we arrange for a meet of some sort around the Photography Expo which is being held up in Sydney In June?

We certainly can, and in fact have done so every time that the expo has been in town. Last time we actually had Poon in town, and several members helping him on his stand. It'd be nicer if the show wasn't run by a bunch of greedy ignorant pricks though.

What are the actual dates?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Wink on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:55 am

Oz_Beachside wrote:I like the sounds of this thread...

I think Melbourne crowd has been a bit quiet too :surrender:

i like the sound of a photoshop workshop, a studio shoot, and an outdoor portrait session, any other Melbournites want to step up and arrange something? :cheers:

I'm keen.
Although, I'll be at the other end of the country from Australia Day until Easter.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby surenj on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:25 pm

gstark wrote:We certainly can, and in fact have done so every time that the expo has been in town.

I have a funny feeling that no one turned up to the 2009 meetup?
surenj

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:54 am

surenj wrote:
gstark wrote:We certainly can, and in fact have done so every time that the expo has been in town.

I have a funny feeling that no one turned up to the 2009 meetup?

Not correct.

In fact, we had oodles of people inside the show, where Poon was, and maybe dinner with 20 or so in Chinatown on the Saturday night.

I think we had a small non-group perhaps in 2007, which may be your recollection?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:40 pm

gstark wrote:
bigsarg7 wrote:Can we arrange for a meet of some sort around the Photography Expo which is being held up in Sydney In June?

We certainly can, and in fact have done so every time that the expo has been in town. Last time we actually had Poon in town, and several members helping him on his stand. It'd be nicer if the show wasn't run by a bunch of greedy ignorant pricks though.

What are the actual dates?

I remember PMA 2009, it was great to see so many members, and the dinner was great afterwards. It was a real shame that there were such pricks at the helm of the whole thing.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby bigsarg7 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Well I went to last years expo and learnt quite a bit and spent quite a bit too.....so i'm looking forward to this years - dates I am uncertain of I have a feeling its mid to late june.....i'm up for getting together for a dinner or some sort of meet outside of the expo!

As to you WINK - we're not too far away from each other maybe we can arrange some kind of meet, at least we know there would be two to start with and possibly 3 with Oz!! How about visiting a winery or something, always something to shoot around those parts! Or even some lightpainting of some vehicles (we know your experienced in this area now).... i'd love to do that -we can bring some of our own gear and DIY the night and learn from each other maybe? I can get my hands on an old 1930 essex but no spectacular cars, although I might be able to get an VE SS Wagon - silver possibly! Anything before australia day suits me too! Any other vics wanna suggest any ideas??? :)
bigsarg7

Postby rflower on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:40 pm

I'd be up for a meet in Victoria ... week after next (7-15/1) is no good for me, but anytime after that would be fine. I am happy to go for a drive up into the country areas (we have friends in shep that I could leave wife and kids at ...) - especially on a weekend or happy around Melbourne. I would like to catch up. Happy to have a go shooting any topics listed
Russell
Nikon D700 // 50 1.4 // 70-200 2.8 VRII // 24-120 f4// Tamron 90 // SB-800 // 70-300G
I'm on Redbubble too ... http://www.redbubble.com/people/rflower
If you can make one of my photos look better and you have the inclination ... please do so.
rflower

Postby surenj on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Big V wrote:Surenj, you will need a butane lighter for the steel wool, matches will not work.

I've been told that a 9V battery will also work.

gstark wrote:I think we had a small non-group perhaps in 2007, which may be your recollection?

Ah! time flies indeed!! :shock:
surenj

Postby Wink on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:50 am

bigsarg7 wrote:As to you WINK

I'd love to, but the next 3 weekends are booked out for me before I go away.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:18 am

bigsarg7 wrote:How about visiting a winery

Now that could almost tempt me to come down. :mrgreen:
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:26 am

Mr Darcy wrote:

Peter?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:04 am

Well I think the winery would be a great idea still, there is a nice one apparently called mitchelton wineries, maybe we could do a meet there on Saturday the 15th or sunday the 23rd? just putting a date out there...... any NSW folks are most welcome to join us! I am not a drinker myself but it will be a lovely day and lovely company. So whats everyone think? - If enough interest we should make another thread so not to take over this one with all the details etc.
bigsarg7

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:15 am

bigsarg7 wrote:Well I think the winery would be a great idea still, there is a nice one apparently called mitchelton wineries, maybe we could do a meet there on Saturday the 15th or sunday the 23rd? just putting a date out there...... any NSW folks are most welcome to join us! I am not a drinker myself but it will be a lovely day and lovely company. So whats everyone think? - If enough interest we should make another thread so not to take over this one with all the details etc.

Mitchelton is always good value.

As is Brown Brothers.

And then there's the cheese factory.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:20 am

Yeah i've never been to Mitchelton Wineries, but from photos i've seen from other photographers it seems to have a variety of places to photograph, with the river, vines and cellar etc. Not sure about Browns, never heard much of them, might google them shortly!
bigsarg7

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:56 am

Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby stubbsy on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:I for one would like to see the 2x2s revived.

My intention is to do just that. My thinking was actually to have a 2x2 Jenolan weekend (I see you mention that as well Greg) and have already done some poking around (they had a private photographer's tour with tripods allowed and a guide for example, but I just checked their website and that's not showing anymore)

We also have one last leg of the Harbour circle walks to complete (Drummoyne to Black Wattle Bay)
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby stubbsy on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:03 pm

gstark wrote:
Mr Darcy wrote:

Peter?

Well the Rutherglen and Millawa districts are very scenic and I've visited a few times (they have some brilliant wineries). That would be a 3 day outing for Sydney siders - 1 day drive there and another to drive back with some photo stops along the way. It's even closer to Melbourne. With a tight schedule Brown Brothers (awesome grounds if you like flowers), Baileys at Glenrowan and the Millawa cheese factory are also doable.

Here are some old shots taken there.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Onyx on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Any firm events upcoming in the near future?! I'm keen for a meet & greet - get back into things.

I clearly need a new social circle, when an AVO is taken out because a former friend threatens to kill you and your family.
Onyx

Postby aim54x on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Onyx wrote:Any firm events upcoming in the near future?! I'm keen for a meet & greet - get back into things.

I clearly need a new social circle, when an AVO is taken out because a former friend threatens to kill you and your family.

I hope everything is alright. Keep your eyes peeled as I think there will be something soon....
Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:14 am

Onyx,

there is a coffee meet coming up on the 6th Feb. You may want to PM Patrick (REchsmooth) about it. :cheers:
surenj

Postby sevencolours on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:57 pm

"My intention is to do just that. My thinking was actually to have a 2x2 Jenolan weekend (I see you mention that as well Greg) and have already done some poking around (they had a private photographer's tour with tripods allowed and a guide for example, but I just checked their website and that's not showing anymore)"

I explored this option with Jenolan mid 2010 for a work group.
A photographic tour of a cave, with guide 2-3 hours $1000.
Max in a group is 10 people.

So it is an option, with a walk around the local area, shots of the old caves house. it is superb at night. I have been snowed in there at times and that is beautiful.

Philip
sevencolours

Postby biggerry on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Onyx wrote:Any firm events upcoming in the near future?! I'm keen for a meet & greet - get back into things.

sevencolours wrote:I explored this option with Jenolan mid 2010 for a work group.
A photographic tour of a cave, with guide 2-3 hours $1000.
Max in a group is 10 people.

I like the idea of this for a Safari session, if done in a similiar style to the newie session I reckon this could be a plethora of subjects, for example, head up the mountains in teh arvo, catch sunset either in the mountains - maybe somewhere in mount vic would be premo, then camp/stay overnight, hit sunrise then the caves during the mid morning with plenty of time to get back home - april could be a good month? before it gets too fing could up there.
biggerry

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:47 am

biggerry wrote:april could be a good month? before it gets too fing could up there.

Count me out then. I am otherwise engaged All March and April & part of May.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Next

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas