PotW 18 October 2005

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

PotW 18 October 2005

Postby Greg B on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:29 am

One from DaveB this week.

This has a great urban decay type feel to it, colours are excellent,
the whole scene is bleak but interesting.

For some reason, I can just imagine a bunch of people dressed
in "street" clothes and with silly expressions on their faces
dancing into the scene. But that's just me.

2 minute exposure, sharp as a tack and beautifully exposed.

Well done Dave.

Thread here
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:46 am

Good choice, I really liked this shot when I saw it, and it was up against some other great shots. :)
Alpha_7

Postby Sheetshooter on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:58 am

An astute choice Greg,

And a bloody sensational picture Dave. Industrial and Architectural function & decay is a pet interest of mine and this is as fine an example as you would find.

For any with an interest in seeing more such motifs here is a list of recommendations:

Anything by Bernd & Hiller Becher

"Industrial Interiors" - Ferit Kuyas

"Architectural Apocalypse" - Ryuji Miyamoto

"Deathtopia" & "Beautiful Ruins" - Shinichiro Kobayashi

Sometimes it is difficult to see past the impact of the present in subject matter, but these once productive sites which drove the economy before they fell victim to technological advancements, are the post-industrial equivalent of the decaying Abbeys, Monastries and Cathedrals of the Middle Ages. I can't imagine how contemporaries might have felt in gazing upon Lindisfarne Abbey shortly after it was sacked by the Vikings - were they blasé?, sentimental?, passionate? None of us can say for sure but we can begin to understand a little of their experience by seeing work like this and examining our own attitudes to it in our present time.

Have you been doing more of this sort of stuff Dave? If so, please show some more. It is very good indeed!!

Cheers and congratulations,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby kipper on Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:03 am

Cheers DaveB for taking such a great shot, and cheers Greg for selecting it as POTW as I missed it when it got posted :)

Sigh, we almost need a latest image sidebar aswell with a limit on the number of images posted a day :) It's too hard to keep up at times.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:23 am

The first time I saw this pic I was impressed by its clarity, colour and sombre feel. Well done Dave and well picked Greg :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby BBJ on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:46 am

Well done Dave and congrats, it is a simple picture but very catching i think.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby blacknstormy on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:36 pm

Congratulations Dave, it is a fantastic picture. When I first saw it, I spent a fair amount of time actually looking at all of the different elements that make up this shot. It is (to me at least) quite a complex photo, that gives the impression of simplicity - I found myself wanting to see what was in the back room (over in the left hand corner). Well done :)
Rel
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby Oneputt on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:39 pm

Well done Dave :D Your image is a little different to many images posted here and a compelling one at that. :D
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby stubbsy on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:59 pm

Well done Dave

Like Rel, I spent some time examining this one - a hallmark of quality IMHO
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Manta on Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:50 pm

Congratulations Dave on a great shot and thanks Greg for bringing it t0 the fore, especially for those of us who, like Kipper, are finding it hard to keep up!

This shot is reminiscient of the work shown by a guest we had recently at a Brisbane Camera Group meeting (can't remember his name :shock: ). He was an urban speliologist whose hobby was finding drains, tunnels, aquaducts and service channels under our cities and then exploring. Quite mad and, I surmise, somewhat illegal in some regions but definitely the source of some stunning photography of a world few of us are ever likely, through either desire, opportunity or both, to ever witness.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby elffinarts on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:05 pm

wonderfully sharp and very unlike my long exposures for lack of noise! I like it!
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:11 pm

This is a great pic - I loved it when I first saw it. I agree that you could spend a long time looking at this image because there is so much to see and like.

It's a shame, though, that the thumbnail doesn't do it any justice (not anyone's fault - that's just what happens sometimes).
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby waspo on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:39 pm

Congrats Dave on a fab pic!! Um...am I getting a sense of dejavu here? :?
Last edited by waspo on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waspo

Location: Bentleigh East, Melbourne - SuPeR NikoN D7o aBuSeR!

Postby jethro on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:53 pm

NICE, Urban is the word. Colour fab. Sharpness Excellent!
No more can be said
J
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Postby mudder on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:03 pm

Congrats Dave!
I remember when I first saw this image, how it imparted such a strong feeling of a house of industry forgotten and ignored.

Really powerful image, well seen and executed, inspiring stuff...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby mic on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:44 pm

Well done Dave, Congrats.

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby DaveB on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:34 pm

Wow, thanks guys!
Thanks for Greg for picking it, and everyone else for the accolades!

I've been away from home for a week now (currently dialled up from a motel room in Crows Nest north of Toowoomba) and this was a pleasant surprise. I'll be back home early next week with more photos to share.

Sheetshooter, obviously no I haven't done any more of this recently (ie. in the last week ;)). I do have more of this site in my files, but they're mostly things that I want to redo rather than display. But don't worry, yes I will have more soon.

The last week in Toowoomba (for the 2005 convention of the Australian Photographic Society) has been fun. Lots of interesting speakers, catching up with lots of friends, and lots of interesting photographic subjects (although they've usually been obscured by fog and rain!).
Thanks for PotW surprise!
DaveB

Postby nodabs on Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:42 am

thats cool i knew exactly where that was taken from the small image on the front page. that brick mill was the first place i ever went topsiding, there is some cool hidin stuff around if you have a poke. and if your into that type of photography check out http://www.dsankt.com/ best urban Ex photography i've come across not your typical architecture stuff.
nodabs

Return to Picture of the Week