Canon 400D Pop up flash problem

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon 400D Pop up flash problem

Postby DebT on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:56 am

Hi,
is it just me or are others experiencing the same problem ? My 400D auto pop up flash will not open ERR05, my guess mechanical problem with release as the External flash off hot shoe still works fine.

Not a good omen for a new camera (and yes it did happen yesterday - Friday 13th)
DebT :(
DebT

Postby fozzie on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:27 am

DebT - congratulations on your new toy. Sorry the hear about the pop up flash. My daughter was born on Friday 13th, been trouble ever since :wink:. Normally at the back of a manuals they have a set of problems that may occur together with solutions. Otherwise ring the store where you purchased the camera, to get help or arrange for a replacement.

fozze
fozzie
Key Member

Postby DebT on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Fozzie,
I have spoken to Lindsay at Camera house City Cross, and as he has been excellent with both price and after sales service (I hound him often for how to's), and Iv'e been to a couple of Canon workshops with Ron (the SA Canon rep) so expect good follow-up.

I'll be taking it in Monday to Ron (their repair guy in Grenfill St (formerly Twin City)) ...Know anything about them ?? Or can you recommend someone you have used ?

I was interested to know if anyone else was experiencing hardware problems hoping it's not a known bug in the 400 ..

Have fun
Deb T
DebT

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:48 am

mine is fine ... sorry to tell u... i have had that error bfore when i had my hand over it :? warrenty card findy time for u :shock:
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Mystery harware problem

Postby DebT on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:33 pm

FYI,
while the problem has disapeared after totally repowering (batteryy out & in) I see this as a potential problem in the future - Canon rep has been great in SA but I have asked for trade up price ,
if I am looking for something the next level up what do you suggedt D30? D5? after all it's only money
Rgds DebT
DebT

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:39 pm

a 5D is the go mate :D can get a cheap one for around 3800 :D ;) dream machine :D
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby fozzie on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:42 pm

DebT - sorry to hear about your plight. If you are in a position to do so, I would suggest a Canon 30D. Fellow shooters Big V and Hart (Leigh) are very happy with with cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos30d/

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:56 pm

30D body is just Au$1361 delivered; 5D body is au$3216 ... through our bargains facilities.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:27 am

As per DD's comment, it sounds like the flash movement is being blocked.

There's a solenoid which pulls back a hook, after which the spring-loaded hinge takes over and the flash pops up. Reasons I've seen for that hook to not disengage properly include dirt in the mechanism, and in one 10D I found an internal wire had come loose (in the middle - it was meant to be taped down) and got caught. But the 400D doesn't have any wires near there, so it'll either be dirt or something electrical.

If instead you'd found that the flash didn't pop up yet didn't produce any error, I'd be suggesting you clean the hot-shoe connector. On the right-hand side there's a tiny switch which detects if an external flash is mounted: on one of my 20Ds the equivalent switch got blocked with dirt and the camera refused to pop the internal flash as it thought the hot-shoe was occupied...
DaveB

Postby DebT on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:41 am

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments - really appreciate the support and love the details as it allowed me to discuss my problem and ongoing concerns re vulnerability at the technical level (problem has recurred randomly)
(blew him away with the solinoid info .. and yes I do actually understand as I am formally qualified telecommunications tech officer)

Canon have offered me a really good deal to upgrade to 5D and as my lenses are compatiable can't think of any reason to knock it back .. nothing that a little muscle training won't fix

Pity in one way as I was starting to really understand my 400D and get some lovely shots ..

I have a couple of full day DSLR courses at the zoo in May so hopefull after that I will be able to join the SA team on meets and speak the same language.

Thnaks again
Deb T
DebT

Postby fozzie on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:48 am

Deb - good to see that your problem is coming to a closure, 5D huh :)

I may see you in the Zoo during May. RDO is coming up and I will most probably take it mid month :)

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:39 am

Deb,

Great news, and I wish you well with the new cam. It can only help you to improve your photography.

I'm curious - you say that Canon have made you this offer you can't refuse?

Are you able to elaborate on that aspect? I'm not so much interested in actual $$$ numbers - ballpark figures would be useful :) - but more the mechanics of what transpired.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:01 am

I think it involves horses, or parts of them anyway :lol:

My daughter was born on Friday 13th, been trouble ever since

Funny. The same is true for one of my daughters. She was born in July. Dare I say the word Crabby comes to mind
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby ssschen on Thu May 03, 2007 3:26 am

gstark wrote:Deb,

Great news, and I wish you well with the new cam. It can only help you to improve your photography.

Are you able to elaborate on that aspect? I'm not so much interested in actual $$$ numbers - ballpark figures would be useful :) - but more the mechanics of what transpired.

I am curious too. I had no idea it is possible to get a trade up through the manufacturer? Or was it because you had a problem with the pop up flash and the trade up offer was a good will gesture from Canon? Please enlighten us. :)
ssschen

Postby Nathan Rodger on Sun May 27, 2007 6:17 pm

Oops sorry! Wrong thread
Nathan Rodger

Postby ed. on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:17 am

Hi Deb,
I also experienced this problem with my 400D and nothing was blocking the flash.

A quick power off/on and it still happens. I need to physically give the inbuilt flash a bit of a pull up and it will open.

Quick question. Did you talk to canon direct about your problem/trade up?

Cheers,
Ed
ed.

Postby adam on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:09 pm

Upgrading to the 5D would be a great solution, because you won't have this flash problem... because there is no flash :D heeeheee
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Return to Canon Corral