70-200 VR + monopod?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

70-200 VR + monopod?

Postby marc on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:51 pm

Hi guys

I'm looking at buying the Manfrotto 680 monopod for my Safari to Zambia next year, where we will be doing some walking safaris.
I would be using this with the D2Hs & 70-200+1.7 TC.
Anyone here used this combo? And what are the results with AND without
VR (ON/OFF)? I know when using a tripod that VR is left off but
have done a bit of research where there seems to be conflicting opinions on
whether to use VR with a mono?
Am I wasting my money on a monopod when VR will do the job?
I guess on of my reasons for this possible purchase would be that it would save my arms from straining over the 4-5 hr trekking :?

Cheers
Marc
D4|D3S|D700+MB-D10| 14-24 |24-70|70-200 f/2.8 VRII|70-200 f/4 VR|80-400 AF-S|500VR|Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro|TC's 1.4,1.7E & 2.0III|SB 900
marc

Postby Yi-P on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:11 pm

Last time I was out for shooting some big birds, I spent roughly 8hrs out there with my D70 + 300mm f4. I was so glad that I had my monopod (680B) with me. It helps up a little bit on stablelising the shot, but the main part is that I dont have to support the weight on my arms through all the hours there.

After 2hrs of hand holding a 2-3kg mass on your arms with no support, you will get real exhaustion and muscular pain. So the monopod is good to help on the weight out there for long and needs mobility.

And I think you can leave VR on monopod. You will definately see movements when shooting with a monopod, very slightly but still visibile on the finder, so tho VR may help a little bit more.
Yi-P

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:25 pm

Hi Marc,

Some sort of monopod should always be in your kit. You need to look as a few points, like its strength, weight, construction material, and its size when extended.

If it's too short for you use while you're standing, then there may be some issues. And while carbon fibre may be very light, ir might not be able to withstand the taxi-door test. :)

As you've noted, there are many points of view as to whether you should use VR with a monopod, and my best advice is for you to just start shooting some images - comparitive (VR-on, then VR-off) - and see what you think works best for you.

As to brand and type ... we have two here, an aluminium Manfrotto 276B, and a carbon fibre Feisol. Both are excellent products, and both have served us well over a number of years.

The Mannie certainly passes the taxi door test; not sure that any CF pod would.

And for hiking, either can also be brought into service as a hiking cane/walking stick.

I'm not familiar with the 680, but I would happily recommend either of the above units for your consideration.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Dargan on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 am

I have a Manfrotto 680B as well. It is well priced, sturdy and reasonably lightweight as well as being tall enough for good use. It is especially good value on hikes where it is strong enough to be used a walking stick, it goes well with 322RC2 ballhead or variant. They have lighter versions but they are more expensive and green in colour. To add a note, one problem I faced in India in February this year with it was that a lot of venues would not allow you to take it in because it was a 'tripod' even though we had some amusing discussions as to what 'tri' meant at the time. For this reason I will not take it again on such a trip but will rely on a VR lens and look for some kind of adaptable clamp that I might be able to take in with my kit. Any suggestions would be welcome.
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Return to Nikon