D90 death and service turn around

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D90 death and service turn around

Postby jase80 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:49 am

Hey guys,

Last night i discovered to my horror that my little D90 didnt want to turn on at all. I tried jiggling this and that but to no avail. I last shot with it over the weekend, and that was indoors so i cant see how it could have been damaged especially since it live in a padded bag away from prying hands and feet.

Normally i shoot it with a Nikon grip and a Phottix battery alongside the Nikon battery. So that was my first troubleshooting option. Removed the grip and swapped batteries in and out (both freshly charged) but no change. Checked the seating of the lens, tried my other lenses and still no joy. Tried the reset process but figure that is only usefull if the camera is powered on.

Took it into Paxtons (purchased from them) this morning and gave them my battery to test, no issues, and tried one of their batteries but still a dead camera. They let me know that they normally extend the Nikon Aus warranty out to 2 years so i should be covered for any standard issues but i wont be able to confirm that till i take in the paperwork tomorrow for them to check through.

Does anyone have any thoughts on other troubleshooting options?

So now i guess im looking at having them send it off to Nikon for a check up/repair (hopefully under warranty) but here is the fun part. I leave for a 3 week trip to Japan on Feb 21. From what ive read on here and around the traps, the chances of me seeing my body back before then is slim to none. Can anyone give me any hope of a different result?

Timing couldnt be any worse.
D90 + 18-55VR + 55-200VR
jase80

Re: D90 death and service turn around

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Be sure to let them know of your travel plans. They may even offer to help carry your luggage. :)

Nikon have been known to carry out repairs very quickly, so provided that parts are readily available (if needed) there is a possibility that your repairs may be complete in a timely manner.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: D90 death and service turn around

Postby aim54x on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Fingers crossed for you there mate. Nikon can be very efficient....
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Nikon