Email from Canon

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:34 pm

Simon

obzelite wrote:nice twist to the tail.

????

Peter,

You've still not sent me that copy of the email. I'd be much obliged if you could do that sooner, rather than later.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mitedo on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:39 pm

Hey Stubbsy you want to buy a lens for your new toy :wink:

Kevin
mitedo

Postby stubbsy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:42 pm

You too Kevin?
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby obzelite on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:47 pm

gstark wrote:Simon

????
Peter,

You've still not sent me that copy of the email. I'd be much obliged if you could do that sooner, rather than later.

you may have missed the edit

stubbsy wrote:Edit: And for the record, I DID NOT get an email from Canon.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby DionM on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:19 pm

stubbsy wrote:You too Kevin?

Probably a hang over from Kevin's old Canon kit.

Kevin - I'll take it off you, its obviously in the way sitting on your keyboard there :wink:

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:34 pm

obzelite wrote:
gstark wrote:Simon

????
Peter,

you may have missed the edit

stubbsy wrote:Edit: And for the record, I DID NOT get an email from Canon.

No, I didn't miss that.

I'm still none the wiser as to what you're saying. Sorry.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:45 pm

Geez, I was sceptical about this until something just happened to prove this is obviously a legimate marketing ploy and one not just limited to Canon.

Here I was, sitting in my office, about to open a Cadbury Hazel Nut bar (part of my daily after-lunch fitness regime) when in bursts a guy from Nestle offering me a trade up to a full-frame Kit Kat! He was even going to swap one-for-one some lovely fresh little pralines for some stale M&Ms I had floating around in my desk drawers!

You'll be pleased to know, I stayed true to my brand. It takes more than wafers and rich blending to buy my trust...but I was sorely tempted.

Now if it had been tomorrow, I may not have been so gullible. :wink:
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:50 pm

You should've done it.

How could you have resisted those curves?!
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Manta on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:55 pm

:D :D :D
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:06 pm

Update:

I'm still waiting on the copy of the email from Peter.

Thanh's response thus far isn't really what I'm looking for; I'm asking him for still further clarification.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby macka on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:35 pm

I'm confused.

Didn't Peter specifically say:

stubbsy wrote:I DID NOT get an email from Canon.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby stubbsy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:36 pm

macka wrote:I'm confused.

Didn't Peter specifically say:

stubbsy wrote:I DID NOT get an email from Canon.

Yep my offer came from another source.

And I've just sent Gary all the details.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:49 pm

Peter's email came from Thanh, and I've been able to independantly verify that.

That also ties in with what Glen has told me.

But Thanh now seems to be holding out on me in some of the finer details. I'm still waiting to hear more from him, but he's not responding to my emails, nor is he returning my phone calls.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:30 pm

gstark wrote:But Thanh now seems to be holding out on me in some of the finer details. I'm still waiting to hear more from him, but he's not responding to my emails, nor is he returning my phone calls.

I spoke to Thanh this afternoon - he's at his BH base.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:32 am

stubbsy wrote:I spoke to Thanh this afternoon - he's at his BH base.

Peter,

Thanx, and yes, I know. And as I type this right now, I can also see that he happens to be onlibne right now as well, but he's still failed to get back to me on the issues that I've raised with him.

Perhaps he'll see this message and return my calls, or respond to the emails that he's been sent?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:18 am

Thanh has finally sent me a response.

Basically telling me to fuck off, and that he'll do as he pleases regarding this offer. Fair enough, that's his choice.

Over the next few days you can expect to see a couple of changes in this site, and effective immediatley, Thanh is banned.

I can't begin to tell you how upset I am over this.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby thaddeus on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:23 am

I've just paid for a 70-200VR through this site and haven't got it from him yet!
thaddeus

Postby macka on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:24 am

Thanh has finally sent me a response.

Basically telling me to fuck off, and that he'll do as he pleases regarding this offer. Fair enough, that's his choice.

Over the next few days you can expect to see a couple of changes in this site, and effective immediatley, Thanh is banned.

I'm very sorry to hear this.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:27 am

Personally, I'm very sorry to hear that. I can't believe that Thanh would not discuss this in a civilised manner. This is a loss to the whole forum and not just because he was providing equipment at cheaper prices and not because of minimeets (which I never made to). I sincerely hope that this can be resolved...

Alex
Alex

Postby stubbsy on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:28 am

gstark wrote:Thanh has finally sent me a response.

I guess it's sad that it's come to this, but we need to remember that this place is bigger than one person. I do think there's scope for mediation though and a permanent ban is a fairly drastic step. I'll try and have a talk with him.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Catcha on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:31 am

This must be another April Fools joke :?
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Check out my site http://byu88.smugmug.com<>http://photobucket.com/byu88
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby nito on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:33 am

Today I dont know what news to believe but that is not good news.
nito

Postby TonyH on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:33 am

Oh well......... :D
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby owen on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:36 am

I think we all know birddog, and know of his generous and kind nature, and that doesn't sound like him at all... perhaps something fishy is going on?
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:37 am

thaddeus wrote:I've just paid for a 70-200VR through this site and haven't got it from him yet!

I'd suggest contacting him separately then. Do you need contact details?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:37 am

Catcha wrote:This must be another April Fools joke :?

Unfortunately not Ben, I just gave Thanh a call and amongst other things, he said that Gary was acting, "like a dickhead" about all this. Sad state of affairs, hopefully things aren't beyond repair...
MCWB

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:39 am

Catcha wrote:

Ben,

I wish it were.

Have you seen any posts from Thanh in the last ... 36 hours, I guess? And have you ever known him to be this quiet?

What I can tell you is that from my admin screen I can see who is online and when, and upo until an hour or so ago, he's been here frequently.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Catcha on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:43 am

gstark wrote:
Catcha wrote:

Ben,

I wish it were.

Have you seen any posts from Thanh in the last ... 36 hours, I guess? And have you ever known him to be this quiet?

What I can tell you is that from my admin screen I can see who is online and when, and upo until an hour or so ago, he's been here frequently.

I Guess I don't really keep track, only really notice birdy posting in the early hours of the morning on weekdays and arvos and assume weekends is mini meets and stuff. :D
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:43 am

On the other hand, what Thahn did is not all that much different to the special deals he had going, like 60 min sale or something like that. The difference being that this time it was limited to specific individuals. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I can see why Gary would though. As for Nikon vs Canon issue - I don't see what the issue is. In the end, it's the purchaser who makes the decision to do the swap.

Alex
Alex

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:44 am

owen wrote:I think we all know birddog, and know of his generous and kind nature, and that doesn't sound like him at all... perhaps something fishy is going on?

Owen,

since late last year there have been some rumours floating around about Thanh ... all manner of things. I really don't - and cannot - say too much, and they were only rumours, but strange things do happen at times.

I am quite upset.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:45 am

I have also just got off the phone from Thanh and he's more angry than I've ever seen him (and he's been fielding quite a few calls and emails). He (rightly I guess) reckons he can run his own business however he sees fit and that Gary has overreacted and been quite , shall we say, forceful in his dealings with Thanh. I pointed out that it was also Gary's right to manage the forum and I won't repeat what Thanh said to that.

As some background that most of you won't be aware of, there has been some friction between Thanh and Gary for the last few months (eg notice there are very few mini meets now and how they are now set up so no one knows who's going).

I still hope for a compromise solution since at the end of the day I know both Thanh and Gary are sensible, pragmatic people. They both just need to cool down a little. Time will tell.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby NikonUser on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 am

:shock:
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby thaddeus on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:52 am

gstark wrote:
thaddeus wrote:I've just paid for a 70-200VR through this site and haven't got it from him yet!

I'd suggest contacting him separately then. Do you need contact details?

I bought the lens through this site:
- I needed to make 50 posts in order to be eligible for the offer
- I filled in the form on this site
- The order confirmation came from an email address on d70users.com which is on this site

So I hold this site responsible for a refund of $2,300
thaddeus

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:54 am

Alex wrote:On the other hand, what Thahn did is not all that much different to the special deals he had going, like 60 min sale or something like that. The difference being that this time it was limited to specific individuals. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I can see why Gary would though. As for Nikon vs Canon issue - I don't see what the issue is. In the end, it's the purchaser who makes the decision to do the swap.

Alex

Alex,

Nikon vs Canon is simply not the issue.

But the fact that Thanh has chosen to take advantage of his positipn here, and offer a deal to just a few select members, is actually contrary to an undertaking he made to me not long after the forums were first started.

Basically, he (and I) agreed that any deals offered would need to be ones where the whole of the membership was the beneficiary.

There's a significant difference between what he's done here, and the one hour deals, because those were still open to all of the members.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:56 am

thaddeus wrote:- The order confirmation came from an email address on d70users.com which is on this site

No, that's not possible.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby NikonUser on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:56 am

thaddeus,

I don't know for sure (I can't speak for Birdy)... Buy my guess is that you're ok.

There are plenty of people who know Birdy personally and have his contact details and he seems to be a very respectable bloke. The form you send on this site goes through him and I'm sure that he will honour it.

Like I said... that's just my opinion... but I wouldn't stress too much at the moment.

Paul

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby Big V on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:56 am

This could quite possibly turn out to be one of the most elaborate april fools prank I have seen in awhile..lots of ground work put in, a few players involved and very well executed I must say I am impressed. If however it is not, then it is indeed a sad day that it has come to this...
Canon
Big V

Postby nito on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:57 am

As the supplier to many goods and services for the forum, he does have a right to conduct business in what ever fashion he sees fit. However, as site admin gary also has rights.

These are all serious problems that need resolution in a open communicative fashion. Banning Thanh immediately is not the solution but will cause more friction.
nito

Postby NikonUser on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:57 am

gstark wrote:
thaddeus wrote:- The order confirmation came from an email address on d70users.com which is on this site

No, that's not possible.

I don't know all that much about the technical details of email...

but in my last purchase around a month ago I also got a reply/confirmation from birdy with a d70users.com address.

Paul

NikonUser

Postby LOZ on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:06 am

I say good ridances I will be changing over to Canon next week and he is of no use to me any more
LOZ

Postby johndec on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:08 am

Gary, you might be 'pissed off" but I'm absolutely ropeable :twisted: Thanh has $500 of my money as a deposit on a D200. I just rang him to check if this fracas will effect my D200 purchase and he told me in no uncertain terms that if the forum is going to treat him like this, we can all go to hell!!

He is returning my $500 and now I have to pay full retail elsewhere (No more special pricing for members) as well as go to the bottom of the waiting list at whatever retailer I end up getting the camera from...

Great, just great... :twisted:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:11 am

nito wrote: Banning Thanh immediately is not the solution but will cause more friction.

I agree, but it wasn't immediate.

I've been trying to get answers from him for a couple of days now, and he's failed to respnd to emails, failed to answer the phone, failed to return calls, failed to respond to PMs, yet I could see that he was still using this site.

Then he sent me a note telling me to bugger off. I wish there was a beeter option.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:12 am

NikonUser wrote:
gstark wrote:

No, that's not possible.

I don't know all that much about the technical details of email...

but in my last purchase around a month ago I also got a reply/confirmation from birdy with a d70users.com address.

Paul

Paul,

Interesting, and thanx. I need to check that out. I think I know what's happenned there, and I may need to make a change in a server's configuration.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby nito on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:12 am

God guys, we are talking about Thanh here. He has always been kind, polite and friendly to all. Let us not forget what he has done for this group in the past.

Really some more respect here would be nice for Thanh.
nito

Postby owen on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:15 am

My thoughts exactly Nito.
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby thaddeus on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:17 am

Gary,

Please consider this a formal demand for the repayment of the $2,300 I paid for the 70-200VR through this site. I have your address from the whois records and will send a hardcopy demand through registered post on Monday.
thaddeus

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:19 am

nito wrote:God guys, we are talking about Thanh here. He has always been kind, polite and friendly to all. Let us not forget what he has done for this group in the past.

Really some more respect here would be nice for Thanh.

I agree.

But Thanh also needs to reciprocate that respect to you, our membership base.

Moreover, think about how disrespectful to you his selective offering to others was? Doesn't that bother you just a little?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:20 am

thaddeus wrote:Gary,

Please consider this a formal demand for the repayment of the $2,300 I paid for the 70-200VR through this site. I have your address from the whois records and will send a hardcopy demand through registered post on Monday.

No worries, Russell.

I'll send it to Thanh!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby TonyH on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:22 am

Maybe Thanh is going to open his own website...... would that split the membership here.....? Afterall he has presented some magnificent deals in the past.....
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby Catcha on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:22 am

This was birdys quote in another section in switching to canon by Stubbsy

Prices & deals + conditions will be revealed soon on this board and will offer to all qualified members who wishes to come with Canon from originally Nikon.

To start with, a top special Canon deals with lenses are only offered to a limited number of people on this board (The Top Gun )as trial and this deal is directed from Canon Australia.

Oh well special deal offered to some member. Thats life some are lucky some are not. Who cares only deal I would take if it was all for free :D

But eventually it would of all been revealed if given time I guess.

Banning is extreme unless a person has been out of line.
Birdy's dealing could have been outside of this forums and Stubbys decided to share his experience which he has.

I certainly don't expect any special deal, its just an added bonus on these forums, and the wealth of information and things I have learnt and yet to learn are great.

This is a personel issue that should of been kept personal. Banning him will affect all those involved on these forums which has already happened. which I think is wrong but its your site.

I mean seriously are you upset that the deal was not offered to you Gary ? This is what I assume the issue is to me since this whole thing started. I hope I don't get banned for this. And its probably a question on everyones mind at the moment.
Ben Yu

Catcha

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion