Email from Canon

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby thaddeus on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:25 am

Gary, I have named you on the demand.

TonyH, I have heard some rumours of nikonbelmore.com but it does not seem to be up yet

Catcha, yes, banning is quite boring
thaddeus

Postby Catcha on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:29 am

Hmm Don't know why I put that there, ive been doing nightshift all night I think I need sleep 8)
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Check out my site http://byu88.smugmug.com<>http://photobucket.com/byu88
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby nito on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:32 am

gstark wrote:
nito wrote:God guys, we are talking about Thanh here. He has always been kind, polite and friendly to all. Let us not forget what he has done for this group in the past.

Really some more respect here would be nice for Thanh.

I agree.

But Thanh also needs to reciprocate that respect to you, our membership base.

Moreover, think about how disrespectful to you his selective offering to others was? Doesn't that bother you just a little?

I see no difference to that and a shop assistant offering a special deal for a mate by which the general public has no rights or access to.

EDIT: No it doesnt upset me, dunno about other people.
Last edited by nito on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
nito

Postby TonyH on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:32 am

thaddeus wrote:TonyH, I have heard some rumours of nikonbelmore.com but it does not seem to be up yet

Thaddeus,

do you reckon he'd have some super dooper opening offers to attract membership....... :D

I'd imagine he'd have everyones email address from here to be able to make the offer direct..... geez what's going to happen next?

Tony
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby macka on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:34 am

Catcha wrote:

Hmm Don't know why I put that there, ive been doing nightshift all night I think I need sleep 8)

The word e x t r e m e automatically gets changed to boring. You're not going crazy.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 am

TonyH wrote:Maybe Thanh is going to open his own website...... would that split the membership here.....? Afterall he has presented some magnificent deals in the past.....

In point of actual fact, up until recently I was working on putting up a website for Thanh and Poon, relating to Nikon and Benro products. There is even a new domain name registered for this effort.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:43 am

TonyH wrote:I'd imagine he'd have everyones email address from here to be able to make the offer direct..... geez what's going to happen next?

As we know, it would appear that somebody has skimmed addresses from here.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby leek on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:44 am

TonyH wrote:geez what's going to happen next?

Mid-Day hopefully :-)
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:45 am

gstark wrote:
Alex wrote:On the other hand, what Thahn did is not all that much different to the special deals he had going, like 60 min sale or something like that. The difference being that this time it was limited to specific individuals. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I can see why Gary would though. As for Nikon vs Canon issue - I don't see what the issue is. In the end, it's the purchaser who makes the decision to do the swap.

Alex

Alex,

There's a significant difference between what he's done here, and the one hour deals, because those were still open to all of the members.

Fair enough. I can see this as an issue.

Alex
Alex

Postby Zeeke on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:52 am

Holy Crikey! I was planning to order a lens off Thanh hopefully next week.. doesnt look like i will be now.... tis a shame...

I'm sure you have your reasons Gary.. just a shame to see a member like Thanh go..

Thanh, if you can read the forums, All the best mate.. and whatever happens in your new venture, it happens to the best for you and Gary

Tim
D70 - D200/MBD200 Coming soon - Too Much Gear, Not Enough Talent

My Site: http://www.digitalstill.net
My Fishing Site: http://www.fishseq.com
Zeeke

Postby Andyt on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:52 am

TonyH wrote:Maybe Thanh is going to open his own website...... would that split the membership here.....? Afterall he has presented some magnificent deals in the past.....

During the past week I have been dealing with Birdy regarding the purchase of a D200 body, relegating my D70 body as a back up. During the exchange of emails I was offered a 5D at a heavily discounted price provided I "Exchanged" the D70. I was very tempted to accept, but the cost of replacing my glass to Canon equivilent was prohibitive (My number of posts did not qualify me for the $Nil change over) so I have been waiting for a firm price & availability for the D200. Events of the past 2-3 days explains why I have not heard from him.

Gary, if Birdy does not "return to the fold" I would seriously reconsider his generous offer and not only change over to the "dark side" but also change forums should Birdy decide to "split". Like you, Birdy has contributed to much, and become a part of this community to be treated in this shoddy manner.

Thaddeus, I have gear ordered & paid for too, if it does not arrive I am prepared to join you in an action to recover the costs, but I am sure as stated when things cool down Birdy will fill his back orders.

Hoping some commonsense will prevail!
Andyt

Postby marcotrov on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:55 am

I think we need to pay due respect to the power of deception proffered by this glorious day (April Fools!!) and indeed to the masterful 'fishing' and 'trapping' prowess of some of our illustrious colleagues here. As to how deep and how populated this cunning fox den is I know not :wink: :lol: and lets at least maintain cool heads certainly until after midday, shall we! :) :lol: :lol:
I suspect there have been a few 'Flatheads' caught this festive day ready for grilling on the barbie :lol: :lol:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby NikonUser on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:56 am

I agree and hope you are right :)
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby phillipb on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:57 am

My clock says 12.00

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:00 pm

leek wrote:
TonyH wrote:geez what's going to happen next?

Mid-Day hopefully :-)

Precisely
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby nito on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:01 pm

Great so I should have trusted my first instinct. If that was the case, this forum is full of people who likes to torture their fellow members. :cry: :? :( :shock: :shock: :shock: :x :oops: :cry: :?: (My reactions during this morning).
nito

Postby thaddeus on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:01 pm

I'm glad it's midday!
thaddeus

Postby Catcha on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:02 pm

:roll:
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:02 pm

thaddeus wrote:hooray!

Russell,

You score an extra credit for your efforts, btw.

Thanx. muchly.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby marcotrov on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:03 pm

Thaddeus said:
I'm glad it's midday!

Not in Queensland it aint :lol: :lol:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Catcha on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:05 pm

marcotrov wrote:Thaddeus said:
I'm glad it's midday!

Not in Queensland it aint :lol: :lol:
cheers
marco

Or in Darwin 10.35 here now :wink:
Ben Yu

Catcha

Postby nito on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:06 pm

You know I might start a policy of not visiting this site on april fools ever again. :wink:
nito

Postby Catcha on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:08 pm

thaddeus wrote:Gary,

Please consider this a formal demand for the repayment of the $2,300 I paid for the 70-200VR through this site. I have your address from the whois records and will send a hardcopy demand through registered post on Monday.

This is gold :D
Ben Yu

Catcha

Postby stubbsy on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:13 pm

Catcha wrote:

Please consider this a formal demand for the repayment of the $2,300 I paid for the 70-200VR through this site. I have your address from the whois records and will send a hardcopy demand through registered post on Monday.

I'd have to agree.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby leek on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:19 pm

nito wrote:You know I might start a policy of not visiting this site on april fools ever again. :wink:

Or sending PMs to thaddeus??? ;-)
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby MCWB on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:21 pm

gstark wrote:
thaddeus wrote:hooray!

Russell,

You score an extra credit for your efforts, btw.

Thanx. muchly.

Totally agreed, you had me in stiches this morning Russell! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MCWB

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 pm

Catcha wrote:

Which makes this platinum. :)

Hmm Don't know why I put that there, ive been doing nightshift all night I think I need sleep

The word censor kicked in. I thought that was just perfect!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:24 pm

leek wrote:
nito wrote:You know I might start a policy of not visiting this site on april fools ever again. :wink:

Or sending PMs to thaddeus??? ;-)

While I'm not going to name names, My PM count went up by an order of magnitude this morning.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Catcha on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:29 pm

So will Canon gear still being offered on these forums eventually ?

Not that it matters to me but out of interest :D

Or will this still be dominated by Nikon hehee hooray :D
Ben Yu

Catcha

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:46 pm

Catcha wrote:So will Canon gear still being offered on these forums eventually ?

The short answer is that it already is, through Birdy and Poon, but that's not quite the answer you were seeking, I'd suspect.

My understanding is that the account requirements imposed by Canon Oz are pretty onerous and thus make it a bit difficult for Thanh to hold an account there, and that's where I believe the problem lies. It would be nice to see that situation addressed, but that's not anything that we have any input to.

Hopefully Thanh will correct me if I'm wrong in any of this.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Jonesy on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:24 pm

PURE GOLD :!:

I missed all of this... due to work can only log on over the weekend... but have had much pleasure reading it and seeing it all unfold

April fools :lol:
(I would have been had... I think)
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby owen on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:34 pm

So Gary, the rumours I had heard must have been true then... that Birdy's an all-round good guy? :)
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby MCWB on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:51 pm

owen wrote:So Gary, the rumours I had heard must have been true then... that Birdy's an all-round good guy? :)

Nah mate, April Fools! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MCWB

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:53 pm

owen wrote:So Gary, the rumours I had heard must have been true then... that Birdy's an all-round good guy? :)

Owen,

They're not rumours; they're facts, plain and simple.

There's none better, truth be told.

Another of the funny parts in the setting up was Thanh's disappointment when the original prank had been called, and then when we were keeping it together and I was painting Thanh as the baddy, he wanted me to ensure that he ended up being banned.

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:57 pm

gstark wrote:he wanted me to ensure that he ended up being banned.

Classic! I was hoping for a '5D swapover deal' thread in Bargains that would suck people in and result in his banning, but him telling you to "fuck off" was just as good. :lol: :lol: :lol:
MCWB

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:02 pm

MCWB wrote:Classic! I was hoping for a '5D swapover deal' thread in Bargains that would suck people in and result in his banning, but him telling you to "fuck off" was just as good. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It beats last years reaction of Thanh ditching us when we got bought out by Maxwell.

Or does it? :lol:
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:05 pm

MCWB wrote:
gstark wrote:he wanted me to ensure that he ended up being banned.

Classic! I was hoping for a '5D swapover deal' thread in Bargains that would suck people in and result in his banning, but him telling you to "fuck off" was just as good. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would have too similar in some ways as last year's Maxwell buyout, I think.

Saying that Thanh effectively told me to fuck off is so unlike Thanh, but at the same time, almost believeable.

Ahhh a Super Aguri off into the grass ....
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:21 pm

gstark wrote:Ahhh a Mobile Chicane off into the grass ....

Fixed for you. :)
MCWB

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:23 pm

Thanx Trent. I appreciate that. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mal on Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:24 pm

What an enjoyable read. You guys are so much fun.
Well done on making this such a fun place to be a part of.
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby Mj on Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:27 pm

Yes... well... this is all very good and all... but what I want to know is, when are we all going to be offered these really really good deals????
Mj

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:31 pm

Mj wrote:Yes... well... this is all very good and all... but what I want to know is, when are we all going to be offered these really really good deals????

Oh shut up Michael.
Nnnnsic

Postby obzelite on Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:33 pm

Mj wrote:Yes... well... this is all very good and all... but what I want to know is, when are we all going to be offered these really really good deals????

glad u asked, i've all but given up.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby Mj on Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:38 pm

Well I'd hate to think that everyone would give up now !!!
Mj

Postby MATT on Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:47 pm

Well, I've been asleep since 9.00 am , This is a cruel cruel Joke.

I will no longer be coming here on April 1st.. But will come every other day

You may have thought it was funny but it just seemed a little stupid..

My 2cents

MATT
MATT

Postby johndec on Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:03 pm

MATT wrote:Well, I've been asleep since 9.00 am , This is a cruel cruel Joke.

My 2cents

MATT

Perhaps you may have to widen that time frame as the first post that I can find that led to one of the many AFD pranks was here , more than 2 weeks ago. I would imagine next year teasers and set up posts will be coming out of the woodwork even earlier!!
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:04 pm

So you got fooled, eh? :wink:
Nnnnsic

Postby NikonUser on Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:05 pm

johndec wrote:

My 2cents

MATT

Perhaps you may have to widen that time frame as the first post that I can find that led to one of the many AFD pranks was here , more than 2 weeks ago. I would imagine next year teasers and set up posts will be coming out of the woodwork even earlier!!

I'm not going to believe anything written on this forum from tomorrow onwards. Tonight should be ok though :)
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby jdear on Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:36 pm

I hate to think whats in the pipeline for next year! :P
far far too much time on your hands :)

the whole deal with mr zploak (or whatever he was called) added credibility to this whole thing!

to all who were involved... well done!

J
jdear

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:12 pm

jdear wrote:the whole deal with mr zploak (or whatever he was called) added credibility to this whole thing!

Jonathan,

Did I miss something here???
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion