outdoor model shoot help

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

outdoor model shoot help

Postby Alex on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:02 am

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice/ tips. I've been asked by a female amature model to take her photos in outdoor setting. I'm not sure about exact location except that it will be in Melbourne so any recommendations on good location is welcome. Other amature photographers took her photos before and she showed me results - some are damn impressive and I dont think I can live up to that which I told her, and she's still happy to do it.

I have the following gear:

- D70
- SB800
- kit lens
- CPL
- Nikkor 28 mm f 2.8
Nikkor 80-200 f4.5-5.6
Nikkor 50 f1.4

I am especially concerned about flash/ lighting. I'm thinking of using iTTL mode (not BLTTL) with some negative compensation (for fill). Depending on the lighting conditions. The shoot is planned for sunday morning. Also how do photographers normally recommend poses for a model or should she try herself or both work together. SOrry this might sound naive but this is the first for me. She's also an absolute stunner so I'm going to be nervous, I've seen her photos.

Thanks in advance
Alex
Alex

Postby Alex on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:06 am

Sorry to bump it up, but I got no response. Can anyone recomment tips/ tricks, especially to do with using flash for outdoor shoots? Also, can Melbourne members recommend any nice locations, like Parks in CBD area. She's done shoots at Fitzroy gardens, Brighton beach and botanical gardens. I'm thinking the park near vic. market, I think it's called flagstaff gardens? Any other recommendations. I'm thinking of using 50 mm lens for general shots and 80-200 for head shots, may be some kit lens too.

Thanks
Alex
Alex

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:14 am

Alex,

I've had no experience with model shoots, but I recall a number of suggestions. One is to use a reflector this could be a white piece of cardboard (this is when a wife/partner/friend comes in handy to hold it) or in a pinch I've used a car windscreen reflector (the shiny type).

Don't know Melbourne so can't help with suggested areas, but make your your aware of the backgrounds when shooting, avoid distracting backgrounds, avoid rails / trees objects going through her head or appearing in distracting places... play around with DOF, you can also blur the background in PP but it's nicer to do it in camera (IMHO).

Try to get the Model to relax, have some fun and try to build up a friendly repore while shooting. If the Model and yourself are relaxed and having fun the photos will show it.

I hope some of the other experience members will be one shortly to help you out.
Alpha_7

Postby xerubus on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:18 am

Alex... use the 50mm lens and have some fun with various degrees of DOF. I recommend you go out and buy a reflector, perhaps a double sided one with silver and gold. A reflector is a must for outdoor model work. iTTL will be fine for your flash... just measure the light before hand.

Don't be nervous about the model... she's just another person. Make it fun.. have a laugh and relax. Good models know exactly what they need to do, so just concentrate on taking the shots.

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby Alex on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:49 am

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I will cut some of the car windscreen reflector and get my wife to hold it unless she gets pissed off. So you would hold it opposite sun to avoid shade on the other side of her face?

Thanks
Alex
Alex

Postby shutterbug on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:18 am

Just used the 50mm and concentrate on the composition. As for posing, you said she has posed infront of the camera before, so she should now how to pose already. Maybe look at some fashion magzine for some ideas? Find some nice open shade, and don't use flash. Shoot raw if you can, even though I am a jpeg guy :wink:
shutterbug

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:35 am

With SB800, use the diffuser. Don't be afraid to use fill flash. Use fill flash to remove shadows (at the eyes and neck and those cast by her hair). Morning light can cast long shadows. Just watch the lighting falling on her. Flash can add catch lights in her eyes which will make your pictures stand out. Dial -1/3 on the SB800. Use manual exposure to create the effect that you want, SB800 will take care of how much light to output. With SB800, it quite easy really.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby Aussie Dave on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:44 am

Hi Alex
as long as you stay relaxed & comfortable, your mind can concentrate on doing the best it can. There's no point putting added pressure on yourself....so just go and have some fun with it all.

If there's one piece of equipment I'd totally rely on, it's the SB800 - so you should do fine.

Perhaps for location options, try some of the quieter laneways in the heart of the CBD, a tramstop, Birrarung Marr, Fed Square, the Shrine.

I guess it all depends on what type of backgrounds/photos you/she wants to get out of the shoot....

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas to work from.

Good luck :)
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby shutterbug on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:51 am

Aussie Dave wrote:Hi Alex
as long as you stay relaxed & comfortable, your mind can concentrate on doing the best it can. There's no point putting added pressure on yourself....so just go and have some fun with it all.

Good luck :)

Spot on, flash or anti-flash it is up to you, enjoy the day. If you are having fun, the model will also have fun :wink:
shutterbug

Postby Cyrus on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:51 am

Alex,

A few questions:

1. Have you decided what style of shots you are hoping to achieve?
2. Have you discussed what the model is hoping to achieve?
3. Is it TFP?
4. Depending on the answer to the first two questions the direction you should go would be quite straight forward.

Sometimes there is nobody available to hold a reflector and a second tripod can be of some use. Try shooting early morning or late afternoon and use a shady area with filtered light... you can always use fill flash which is btter than shooting in the sun and getting glare problems..

Oh yeah, it is usually preferable to stand back a bit and zoom in for face shots, rather than getting up close.. the lens can distort the features if you get too close, not to mention the personal space issue.

Check out some portfolios online to see what poses you like, the model should have a good idea of how to pose and you may only need to offer advice if it interferes with the composition.

Hope this helps.

Cyrus
It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.
Alfred Eisenstaedt - father of photojournalism
Cyrus

Postby Alex on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:39 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. Very useful.

Cyrus: Yes, we discussed the style of shots she wants, which is sort of casual outdoor stuff and she showed me some of her previous work and she wants to continue along similar lines. What is TFP, sorry for ignorance.

My wife is going a bit funny about the shoot after she saw her amature P&S shots with captions (that she wrote) saying 'I am as hot as Melbourne's weather on New Year's Eve". I might end up not doing it if the wife gets too unhappy :-(

Thanks again
Alex
Alex

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:44 pm

Alex wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions. Very useful.

Cyrus: Yes, we discussed the style of shots she wants, which is sort of casual outdoor stuff and she showed me some of her previous work and she wants to continue along similar lines. What is TFP, sorry for ignorance.

My wife is going a bit funny about the shoot after she saw her amature P&S shots with captions (that she wrote) saying 'I am as hot as Melbourne's weather on New Year's Eve". I might end up not doing it if the wife gets too unhappy :-(

Thanks again
Alex

Alex,
Don't get the wife involved :lol: take the model out with your freedom :wink:
If she's "hot" as her description than it's your bonus :roll:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:45 pm

And please remember one important secret:
You run the model not the model runs you.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby shutterbug on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:01 pm

Birddog114 wrote:

Thanks again
Alex

Alex,

BIG bonus...who is the photographer? you or your wife?
shutterbug

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:14 pm

shutterbug wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:

Thanks again
Alex

Alex,

BIG bonus...who is the photographer? you or your wife?

Of course, bonuses will be shared among the photographers and his wife :lol: the wife does not have to do the "hard work" coz the model takes care all. :shock: :shock: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hudo on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:37 pm

Hi Alex,

Take a look at http://www.hudcomm.smugmug.com All shots are with a D70 or D70s. Most of the outdoor shots have little or no PS and the kit lens with the SB600 & a gold reflector was used. Since obtaining a SB800 and 50mm primes as well as the 80~200 f2.8 my work has improved but so has my experience with over 30 model shoots in 2005.

If you want to borrow any equipment please PM me. I have 2 shoots this Sat but any other time your welcome to use it.

Mark
Hudo

Postby Alex on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi guys,

I'm winning. Thanks to Arthur who kindly offered to join. I told my wife a pro photographer is coming also so she's more comfortable with it now. Thanks, Arthur. My wife will still be there holding the reflector :-)

Mark - stunning photos. Thanks for the advice everyone. Hopefulyl with all your help I will have a few keepers to post after.

Alex
Alex

Postby Cyrus on Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:20 pm

Alex,

Always be honest and up front with your wife, then she will see that what you are doing is not deceiptful or underhanded. There is absolutely nothing wrong with photographing things that are beautiful or that can be make beautiful shots, regardless of whether these things are other people. Obviously there is a fine line with shoots involving people though.

I have sent you a PM which might also help you out a bit.

While I think of it, TFP is a common term used in the modelling/photography industry - particularly more in the amateur or semi pro end of the industry. TFP stands for Time for Prints or Trade for Prints which means I shoot a model and I don't have to pay her and she doesn't have to pay me, we both walk away from the encounter with shots that can be beneficial to both of our objectives. . usually enhancing our respective portfolios. A mutually beneficial encounter that sometimes gets a bad wrap due to dodgy togs who try to rip unsuspecting models off. Due to the digital age being so prominant now, TFP has been replaced with the more common term TFCD or TFDVD.. but people just say TFP out of habit, like I'm going to the video store... but I only ever hire DVD's - hopefully that makes sense

All the best, can't wait to see the results.

Cyrus :wink:
It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.
Alfred Eisenstaedt - father of photojournalism
Cyrus

Postby Dug on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:08 pm

Talk to her about her ideas and your ideas share and exchange is the best way to work that way you are both comfortable.

get her to show you pictures (magazine or anything) of the kind of look she wants show her photos of what you are thinking it is the easiest way to describe images.

Check the location out before hand know where you are going I like a few shots in a coffee shop but check with the owners they may like a print in exchange. A young woman looking over a relaxing coffee can look good window light works a treat too!

Be careful, minimal flash and no reflectors to scare other customers.

I have reflectors just personal buy you have to be watching the assistant and the model and everything else at the same time, they work well I just don't like them. If you get one get a big 5 in 1, silver gold black white and translucent.

Make sure the model is comfortable cool drinks on a hot day or hot on a cold day go a Long way.

Explain to your wife what you are doing leave it up to her if she comes or not let her meet the model show her the results.

My wife was a model, so I never had problems with the photographer model thing :-)

Above all have fun it is more about feeling good than the gear you use!
Dug

Postby Alex on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:58 pm

Cyrus - thank you for explaining. That is exactly what we agreed on. No money involved. I supply the photos - no quality guarantee though, in electronic format for her to use and we both improve our skills. No one gets paid. Both are happy (hopefully).

To all: thank you for all your suggestions. It's been really useful.

Alex
Alex

Postby Alex on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Hudo wrote:Hi Alex,

If you want to borrow any equipment please PM me. I have 2 shoots this Sat but any other time your welcome to use it.

Mark

Thank you, Mark. I should be fine with what I have. I'm using a car window screen reflector. If I get more shoots, I might get a proper reflector. Hopefully the wife, or model's friend will be kind enough to hold the reflector.

Alex
Alex

Return to Tips and tricks