Adelaide Zoo

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Adelaide Zoo

Postby blacknstormy on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi all - Merry Christmas & Happy new Year :)
Sorry haven't been on in ages, but we decided to do a roadtrip to Perth, and only just got back :)
On the way, we dropped in to the Adelaide Zoo - these are a few of the shots that I took ... I know that they are captive animal shots, but I tried anyway.
Hugs

Fennec Fox

Brand new Panda

Leopard
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Re: Adelaide Zoo

Postby tommyg on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16 am

That leopard shot is amazing!

What lens combo etc did you use for this one?
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby Big V on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Good shots, unusual but very effective processing on these.
Canon
Big V

Postby DebT on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi,
a great framed shot of the fox and you have used the leopard cage to an advantage - really like the creativity
The Panda - you'll be glad to know they are outside - shot them Thursday and much more interesting and enjoyable - are you coming on the 24th? - refer post Adelaide meet
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Postby DanielA on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:45 pm

That's a awesome shot of the leopard.
No sign of the fence, perfect eyes.

tommyg wrote:What lens combo etc did you use for this one?

EXIF says it 165mm, f/4, 1/400s. So I'm guessing a 70-200 f/2.8.

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby aim54x on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:27 pm

That leopard is amazing! Great stuff Rel
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby craig.rohse on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:38 pm

aim54x wrote:That leopard is amazing! Great stuff Rel

:agree:

What an Image!!! :up: :up:
"Old school" (Olympus OM 1&2SP )
craig.rohse

Postby blacknstormy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks for all of your comments - much appreciated :)

Daniel - spot on with the exif data - trusty old 80-200 2.8, is a very sweet lens !
Deb - would have loved to see the Pandas in the enclosure, but we were on the way to Perth at the time, and got to spend a day at the zoo. Am back in Brissie now, but wish I was still on the road - looking forward to some shots from the day.

I feell terrible though, and owe you all an apology (should have stated in the original post, but was about to go to bed, and didn't think) - the background has been 'removed' from the shot .. this is the original untouched version ...

but I'm still happy with the shot, even though it has been ps'd.

The other 2 were pretty much as is, with a bit of sharpening and curves adjustment - other than that, they haven't changed.

Hugs
rel
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

blacknstormy

Postby Geoff M on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:56 am

Another vote for the leopard shot..great PP skills Rel :D
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby lightning on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Yeah they are great shots, I like the fox but I wonder if you crop out the fore ground and the black bits on either side, I think it would create a lot more impact.
1 shot out of focus is a mistake, 10 shots out of focus is an experiment,
100 shots out of focus is a style!, anonymous.
lightning

Postby marcotrov on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:45 pm

The leopard image is terrific. A great example of seeing 'photographically' Rel. Beautifully worked image that really accentuates the subject and its spirit. :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby blacknstormy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks again guys :)
Lightning, I'll have a look ... I was kind of using that space to lead you into the fox in it's hiding spot.. they are a really small animal, and I wanted to give that impression in the placement in the photo .. that made sense in my head anyway ;)

blacknstormy

Postby Bindii on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:15 pm

They are all fantastic shots... but the Leopard one is just stunning... and I'm even more impressed now I've seen the original.. superb pp'ing!! :)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby surenj on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:23 am

+1 for the leopard and the brilliant PS!! :up:
surenj

Postby AttoJones on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:27 pm

yes i love the leopard shot very much. stunning creatures, well captured.

also i agree on the comment of perhaps framing the fox a little, seems a little overrun by its surrounds.
but a nice shot none the less.
AttoJones

Postby ATJ on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:52 pm

I missed these before, Rel. I don't know why.

I love all 3 shots, but the leopard is a real standout. The processing you have done is brilliant and without seeing the original, you'd never know it was a caged animal - perhaps you could enter it in Wildlife Photographer of the Year. They'd never know - well not initially.

I think I would prefer the fox shot more if it was a little less contrasty. I'm not really a fan of high key for nature shots, but that might just be me.
ATJ

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques