Small DLSR or P&S

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Small DLSR or P&S

Postby MATT on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi, now that it looks like I've sold my D200 and am awaiting the D300 to arrive in OZ (or HK). I am in the bad books with my wife because we no longer have a digital camera...Will be cracking out the old f65 and some c41 film.

Sooo, I would like to buy her one and to take the pressure off a little.

But do I buy her a P&S or a small DSLR. I was thinking the d40x and either a 18-70 or the 18-200 (both of which I would also use on the D300 also), I had to sell my 18-70 as part of the package unfortunately. Unless someone has one they are not using and want to sell.

If I go the P&S road what can anyone suggest anything.

Your thoughts?

MATT
MATT

Postby Biggzie on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:48 pm

One of the better P&S cameras with some specs is the Panasonic Lumix with 12x zoom and 10megaPixel. (I think they have a new model out now) But if you compare it up against the D40x, you would take the D40x hands down.
1 of my friends I upgraded from Point and shoot got the D40x with the 18-135 and she hasnt looked back. The 18-200VR wasnt as good priced as it is now.
I have had the best luck recomending the Kodak 10x Zoom range of cameras, like the i740. I find that people just use them with less hassles for me asking how do I do .... and the pictures they get out of them they are generally happy with. It seems a good usable camera with some flexability which people who dont want to get too heavy into photography can just use with minimal hassles.
I have a sneaking suspicion that you would want something more like the D40x for your wife though, and just think of all the lenses, flashes etc of yours you will be able to borrow back from her at some stage. :)
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby MATT on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:34 pm

biggzie, I think you found me out.. The only hassle with d40x is the lack of the focus motor.. I would like to use the 50 1.4. I guess I could go manual.

Its more so when there is something on for the kids and I am not around , she can take some good images. I am constantly getting in trouble cause I have not left the d200 on iso 100 and P mode. Or I've left the focus switch to manual...

As for point and shoot I have been looking at the Panasonic and I think Leica have the same camera with more manual functions that might suit my needs as well as hers..

The other thing is I'm not on any waiting list for the D300 so I may find it hard to secure one before the new year. Hence more trouble for not having a camera for Xmas...

Thanks for your thoughts.

MATT
MATT

Postby garyr on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:03 pm

It depends on what your requirements are really. Are you really going to need the DSLR capability until you get your D300, or will a good P&S suffice?

If it were me (with my requirements of course) I would get a good P&S that I can use when it is not practical to take my DSLR along - that way you will always have the ability to capture the moment.

Some things to consider - do you need weather proofing, waterproofing so that you can use it on the beach, in the kayak, or around the pool? There are some good models out there that are splashproof, and even water resistant to 3-5 meters.

Or if you are looking for an "almost a DSLR" you can go for something lke the Canon Powershot G9 - does RAW and 1600 ISO with IS. I understand many photogs use this as a second camera :)

Good luck with your decisions though,
Cheers
GaryR

40D, 24-105L/F4, 50/1.8, no talent
garyr

Postby MATT on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:25 pm

garyr wrote:

Some things to consider - do you need weather proofing, waterproofing so that you can use it on the beach, in the kayak, or around the pool? There are some good models out there that are splashproof, and even water resistant to 3-5 meters.

Cheers

That is something to give some thought, a splash proof could make for some fun at the pool or beach with the kids..hmmm

MATT
MATT

Postby Biggzie on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:28 pm

MATT wrote:biggzie, I think you found me out.. The only hassle with d40x is the lack of the focus motor.. I would like to use the 50 1.4. I guess I could go manual.
Ive been a Pentax user for the past 20 years, so I cant comment on any compatability issues with Nikon bodies, but manual focus is what I use most, so that wouldnt bother me.

MATT wrote:Its more so when there is something on for the kids and I am not around , she can take some good images. I am constantly getting in trouble cause I have not left the d200 on iso 100 and P mode. Or I've left the focus switch to manual...
Then she will like the D40x modes because that has the scene modes like "normal, action" etc that she can switch to.

MATT wrote:As for point and shoot I have been looking at the Panasonic and I think Leica have the same camera with more manual functions that might suit my needs as well as hers..
I dont know about the Leica but get her to try the Panasonic before you buy it. I have 2 friends that out grew their P&S cameras, 1 went the D40x way as I said and loves it, the other ordered a Panasonic with out trying it and doesnt find it as good to use as the D40x.

Sounds like you had a good excuse to keep the D200 for your wife and get yourself a D300 :)

I will add 1 comment to Garyr' post. I dont know the Canon models, but 2 of my friends bought the canon 12x zoom P&S, neither of them lasted very long. Good camera's to use and good performers, but I now have doubts about how robust they are.
Biggzie

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:36 pm

If you're really looking at a PHD, than Canon is the best route to take, but a D40x kit makes

a great PHD replacement

a great way to get out of the PHD race,

a great beginner SLR

And the pricepoint for the D40 range is right there, in high-end PHD-land.

The D40's UI is amongst the best in the business, and it shows you such potentially confusing things as a large aperture (small number) or a small aperture (large number) in a manner that is crystal clear.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Pa on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:10 pm

d40x 10.2 mega pixels....sounds good to me
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby Yi-P on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:37 pm

D40/x + 45mm/2.8P = perfect compact camera

Can't beat the size vs quality of this setup!!
Yi-P

Postby MATT on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:40 pm

Well I got talking to my wife.. Seems I may have to PUSH her into the d40x.

She said that she would prefer something for her hand bag.... :? Not what I had in mind..

Off to town tomorrow so I will take her to hardley Normal and compare a few then hopefully order a D40x from Poon.

MATT
MATT

Postby robert on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:05 pm

Gary-
Whats PHD?

Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:11 pm

robert wrote:Gary-
Whats PHD?

Push Here, Dummy.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:14 pm

Gary, sometimes people STILL push the wrong button :P
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:17 pm

PiroStitch wrote:Gary, sometimes people STILL push the wrong button :P

Wayne,

There's only ever just the one button.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby garyr on Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:22 am

MATT wrote:Well I got talking to my wife.. Seems I may have to PUSH her into the d40x.

She said that she would prefer something for her hand bag.... :? Not what I had in mind..

Hey Matt, you know what they say - Happy wife, happy life :)
GaryR

40D, 24-105L/F4, 50/1.8, no talent
garyr

Postby Biggzie on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:36 am

MATT wrote:She said that she would prefer something for her hand bag.... :? Not what I had in mind..

So let me get this straight. You want her to have a D40x, and she wants something to fit her handbag. I havent met a woman that cant be talked into a new handbag, so no probs - new camera -new handbag
Boy are you in ... but then I suppose technically thats 1 for the price of 2 :)
Biggzie

Return to Nikon