Is your Job/Hobby looked apon as a problem?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Is your Job/Hobby looked apon as a problem?

Postby Newidude on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:38 pm

I can't leave the house without a camera. Going anywhere at all means my "other girl" (as the missus calls it) has to come. Although the missus loves the pics that end up on the wall, she still dosen't share the same passion in the hunt for the perfect picture. Problem being that a family day with the missus and the kids at the reptile park becomes a wait for Dad while he shoots some pics of the animals. Does everyone else feel the tension from time to time from the better half, and succumb to reality of having to go out to a possible ALL TIME location without it? Do you make trips to the reptile park (just an eg) on your own to keep both parties happy? I dont think i could not take my girls. Please share your experiences if any, or even great use of words to be able to bring your camera along.

Cheers..........Brad
Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to there level, then beat you with experience.
Although I gotta admitt, sometimes it makes for a good laugh ;)
Newidude

Postby birddog114 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:43 pm

Brad,

Me? I never leave home without the camera + gears (lenses).

And with my wife, sometime with my teenages tagged along, they behaved, listened, relaxing waiting for me to finish my joys and that's my order.

You have to train them tough!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby huynhie on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:48 pm

Make sure you make use of the "missus" and get her to carry your heavy equipement for you.
huynhie

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:52 pm

I try to always take my camera with me, where ever and whenever I leave the house, you never know when a shot might present itself. Katie just has to grin and bear it :)
Alpha_7

Postby NikonUser on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm

I don't have that problem here:

I mainly shoot nature/wildlife photos and my girlfriend (is it still ok to call her that after 6 years? :)) loves to be out there as much as I do. Usually we go to a location together... she finds a place to sit and study and I go off and do my photography thing.

When we walk long distances she carries the photo backpack because (in her words) "it'll help me loose weight" :roll: (she doesn't actually have any to loose of course)

In fact it's usually her slowing me down telling me what I should be taking pictures of than the other way around :)

Paul
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby macka on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:16 pm

my girlfriend (is it still ok to call her that after 6 years?

Paul I know what you mean - I find "boyfriend" and "partner" equally inadequate.

But back on topic, both of us love photography and he is good enough to let me steal what is actually his camera quite frequently. But my 21st is coming up later this year... (:wink: :wink: Mum)
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby Geoff on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:25 pm

Since I bought my 2nd D70 body, Bel is a lot happier as she too can have a go at taking some photos. Her interest in photography isn't nearly as intense as mine but she does like to have a go, and I think that eases the situation somewhat :)

I like to be able to teach her stuff too :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby DionM on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:36 pm

Mmm ... can't say I'm that hardcore ... I don't take my camera all the time; just when we are somewhere 'different'. My wife generally understands and doesn't mind me stopping and snapping stuff.

I think the only problem comes when we go somewhere after having done photos and I debate about leaving the camera gear in the car ... which means I have to take it with me (for avoiding theft) but don't actually take photos ... that's when it causes issues. Eg on the weekend we went to Lamington Nat Park (took photos) and then to Gold Coast ... not keen on leaving camera gear in car, but my wife wanted to go shopping.

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Postby Killakoala on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:28 pm

Stay single, take photos, no problem :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby terminaltackle on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:44 pm

If I took my camera everywhere I would be looking all the time for something to shoot (anything to shoot). So there are times when I purposly dont take the camera. This allows me to enjoy the surroundings and other peoples company.

Yes i might miss a good or terrific shot, well thats life and for every missed oppurtunity there is another one just on the horizon. Well thats what I tell myself, the other option is to just live with a camera permanently attatched to my eye... (just think of what I would miss with that sort of tunnel vision)
More fishing, more sport, more photo's Pentax 1stds
terminaltackle

Postby Mj on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:15 pm

I have to visit my camera in hospital for the time being...so it's more a case of having to go out to be with her rather than going out with her.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh and macka... careful how you phase things..o or you'll be misquoted...lol
Mj

Postby nito on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:13 am

Get a large camera bag and you will kick the habit soon enough. :wink:
nito

Postby Newidude on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:25 am

Oh, I was going to post a list of whats in my bag, but after a brief read of the pic of my lense thread in the Canon section I believe this can cause hassels so I refrained. Lets just say 3 bodies, 4 flashes (2 with battery packs) plus wizards, lense's to suit, all the other gadgets (film, aa's, filters etc) light stands strapped to the sides and a tripod underneath, its plenty heavy enough thanks ;)
Last edited by Newidude on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to there level, then beat you with experience.
Newidude

Postby gstark on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:29 am

macka wrote:Paul I know what you mean - I find "boyfriend" and "partner" equally inadequate.

I see.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Newidude on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:43 am

hahahahahha

I didn't pick up on that before

hahahahahahahahaha. Awesome. Well spotted ;)
Newidude

Postby mR_CaESaR on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:35 am

while i don't take my camera everywhere i go, i do find it hard sometimes when i'm with my better half as i'll be there taking my time with a shot, trying to compose a shot, think about the shot, then take the shot (no i'm not the fastest photographer out there, and i'm still "getting to know" the 20D to this day), and at the abck of my head, i'm always thinking that she's bored or wants to do something else already.

Its quite easy for me to do a couple hour shoots of whatever and my other half would just be sitting down twiddling her thumbs.

I do hope that one day i can get her into photography so not only

1. i don't have to worry about her during shoots
2. i can buy gear and won't have to hear "do you really need that? why do you spend so much on that stuff?" :D
mR_CaESaR

Postby macka on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:58 am

gstark wrote:
macka wrote:Paul I know what you mean - I find "boyfriend" and "partner" equally inadequate.

I see.

:)

Oh, shut up. :P
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby BT*ist on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:54 am

Hehehehe!!

On the camera-side, I take a small 3MP Fuji with me just about everywhere, and the DSLR only when I'm going out with the intention of shooting, or where I think the opportunity may present itself to take some shots.

I've also always taken my overseas holidays alone (helps being single), meaning I can indulge in heaps of stopping for shots, and returning to the same place a number of times to take shots at different times of day.

For local trips with friends I'll take the SLR as a matter of course. When skiing I'll choose a day that looks good and ski with it in my backpack. Because I like to live dangerously (also, historically, I've never fallen flat on my back when skiiing).
BT*ist

Postby gstark on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:18 am

mR_CaESaR wrote:as i'll be there taking my time with a shot, trying to compose a shot, think about the shot, then take the shot (no i'm not the fastest photographer out there,

Wait until you have a 5x4 (or bigger) camera, and then you'll see what "taking your time" with a shot really means. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mR_CaESaR on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:48 am

gstark wrote:
mR_CaESaR wrote:as i'll be there taking my time with a shot, trying to compose a shot, think about the shot, then take the shot (no i'm not the fastest photographer out there,

Wait until you have a 5x4 (or bigger) camera, and then you'll see what "taking your time" with a shot really means. :)

i don't think that'll be happening anytime soon as those things aren't readily available for me.

But i would really love to get into the film side of photography so i can see first hand why film lovers always say "you won't get the same quality with digital" :)
mR_CaESaR

Postby Zeeke on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:02 pm

I take my camera with me most of the time.. but i never really get a chance to use it..

I'm lucky tho.. my folks support my "hobby" .... for now lol

Tim
D70 - D200/MBD200 Coming soon - Too Much Gear, Not Enough Talent

My Site: http://www.digitalstill.net
My Fishing Site: http://www.fishseq.com
Zeeke

Postby CraigVTR on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:23 pm

Most of my time away from the house is spent working, doing deliveries, so there is no security for the gear. Because of this I have missed plenty of great landscape and urban shots. :( Oh well.
When iam out with my wife I do feel the pressure to continue moving as she has little interest in photography. I get; we can't afford that; you spend too much time on that web forum; you spend too much time on that computer etc. But I tread lightly and live with the compromises of having two mistresses, well three, my bike, my camera, my wife. Oh and my children, who have an interest in both bikes and photography.

But still every day that I spend upright with at least one of those four is what makes life so good.
Craig
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:33 pm

I have a degree in this "problem" and I teach more people how to be in this "problem".

My Uni friends who have the same problematic degree know the same thing as I do which happens to be a real pain in the ass: it costs way too much money.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby moz on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:02 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:it costs way too much money.

That's what puts me off working in the field, that's for sure. I'd rather follow a more lucrative hobby full time and just take photos of stuff in my spare time. That said, the only hobby I haven't been paid for at some point is sleeping (and I'm working on that :) )
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:21 pm

That said, the only hobby I haven't been paid for at some point is sleeping (and I'm working on that )

Moz perhaps your just not sleeping with the right people ? :shock:
Alpha_7

Postby Manta on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:24 pm

As a former golf-widow, hiking-widow, fishing-widow, camping-widow, geocaching-widow, sailing-widow and music-widow, my wife sees no surprises in being a photography-widow or photoshop-widow. She and the girls are happy to come along on photo-trips and the occasional minimeet and seem to enjoy themselves wherever they are. She comes from a very artistic family and so appreciates the work that goes into getting an image just right. I'm pretty lucky.
Last edited by Manta on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Finch on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:35 pm

I'm also one of the lucky ones. My wife, Dena, isn't into photography but loves what I do and encourages me and supports what I do. She loves critiquing my work and has no worries with me going off to take pics.

From the opposite side, Dena is a gym-freak and spends heaps of time at gym, fun runs etc, etc and that's her thing.

The secret to this all working, in my opinion, is to let each other have their own hobbies but then also make sure you have time to do things together.

Works brilliantly for us.

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby moz on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:49 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:Moz perhaps your just not sleeping with the right people ?

I walked right into that one ;)
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Return to General Discussion