QR plates - why so expensive?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

QR plates - why so expensive?

Postby Hybrid on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:51 pm

Hello all,

I've recently been going through the dilemma of which tripod/head to purchase. Finally decided on a Benro C-297 and a Markins M10. I've ordered the legs and was just about to order the M10 head. I find that I will need 2 QR plates from Markins for my D200 and 70-200VR - fair enough... Then I looked at the price - $50 USD each?! Am I missing something about these plates? I don't understand why they're so expensive... 2 plates just made the ballhead about 30% more expensive than I was expecting :(

I'm not looking to just complain, I'm curious to know, are there other/better options out there? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and pay the price?

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Postby petal666 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:03 am

There is nothing you can do about it. No one makes them any cheaper and the price is so high because there is no incentive to reduce the price as all the manufacturers charge about the same price.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby losfp on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:19 am

That's about what they go for. I think the replacement foot for the RRS 70-200VR is about $100 USD! I don't think I've used it once yet, but hell, I love getting RRS goodies ;)

The trouble is the relatively small market (dedicated version for each camera/lens, and only to a small percentage of photographers), the need for them to be quite precisely made etc.
losfp

Postby Hybrid on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:16 am

Thanks guys - not exactly the answer I was hoping for but at least I know now... :shock: I'm sure I'll forget about the price once I have it.

While I'm spending more, I'm wondering if I should just get the M20 and be done... hmmm......
Hybrid

Postby Yi-P on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:15 pm

I was browsing through RSS last night as I wanted an L-plate and QR to accept the new Arca-Swiss type mount, the L-plate itself, piece of crafted metal, cost $183USD and a AS mount plate at ~$87USD.... :shock:

After a 5 second rethink, I cancelled out and didnt buy anything... :lol:
Yi-P

Postby Spooky on Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:44 pm

Stephen, can I ask where you got your Benro tripod from?
Spooky

Postby moz on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:22 pm

I suspect that they're not a mass produced part, they're possible even CNC'd in small batches. That pushes the cost right up. But the alternative is to order them 1000 at a time... your choice.

For comparison, a decent head torch that's basically $100 worth of electronics (retail pricing) in a CNC machined block with a $100 battery and charger is $US300. I expect the CNC work makes up a good chunk of the extra cost. Doesn't stop me lusting after the torch :)
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby Hybrid on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:42 pm

@Spooky: my tripod hasn't arrived yet but I'm getting it from here in the bargains section :)

@moz: haha, well if I did order 1000, I guess I'd be pretty much guaranteed of never being without one! :P That's a fair point though. I guess I'm just too used to mass produced small parts...
Hybrid

Postby Hybrid on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:49 pm

Yi-P wrote:I was browsing through RSS last night as I wanted an L-plate and QR to accept the new Arca-Swiss type mount, the L-plate itself, piece of crafted metal, cost $183USD and a AS mount plate at ~$87USD.... :shock:

After a 5 second rethink, I cancelled out and didnt buy anything... :lol:

haha, I've spent about a year doing that when looking at buying a tripod... I read all the articles then looked at the prices and then put it off because I don't want to spend that much. In hindsight, it was probably a silly thing to do because even though I usually don't use a tripod much, there have been definite times where having one would have helped... Live and learn.
Hybrid

Postby Hybrid on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Just a quick update: I've done it - ordered the Markins + two plates for my D200 and 70-200VR. I ended up going for the Markins M20 since the price differential wasn't that big and it will hopefully be the only ballhead I have to purchase for a very long time to come... Total damage: $520 USD delivered. Ouch.

Thanks everyone for their input along the way. Now I can't wait for everything to arrive! :)

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Postby DanINqld on Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:52 am

Be worth it once it arrives, very happy with my q3 :)
DanINqld

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:01 am

Hybrid wrote:Just a quick update: I've done it - ordered the Markins + two plates for my D200 and 70-200VR. I ended up going for the Markins M20 since the price differential wasn't that big and it will hopefully be the only ballhead I have to purchase for a very long time to come... Total damage: $520 USD delivered. Ouch.

Thanks everyone for their input along the way. Now I can't wait for everything to arrive! :)

Cheers,

Stephen

My M20 has served me well - enjoy :)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Hybrid on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:49 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys - can't wait to get it! Apparently it arrived in Sydney yesterday and is awaiting processing now :)
Hybrid

Re: QR plates - why so expensive?

Postby photohiker on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:34 am

Hi.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it's probably worthwhile to answer a question in the original thread rather than create a new one.

I was recently caught short of QR plates (plain forgot to order an extra one). As the use of the plate was just for very occasional use when both cameras and tripods were in simultaneous use, I thought that $US80 ($50 + 30 shipping) for one plate was a bit excessive. I had a dig around and discovered hints that the Benro plates are Arca-Swiss compatible. So I spoke to the mob in Sydney that was referred to here on another tripod thread (Photo Shop Studio - google will find them for you) and ordered a QR-1 after confirming a couple of measurements with the helpful but concerned Tony. (no returns!)

Result is that I now have a functional, usable plate on the spare camera that works, although it's not as nicely finished and fitted as a Markins one. The Markins ballheads have a little safety pin that helps locate the plate in the clamp, this does not operate at all with the Benro plate as it clears the pin easily. Total outlay: $AU35 including mandatory registered post.

Oh, and another vote for Markins heads. I'm living testament to the buy once strategy. I'm somewhat embarrassed to reveal that I recently disposed of four unwanted Manfrotto heads on ebay but elated to reveal that I applied the (quite good) proceeds towards a Markins M20. Love it. Sometime down the track, I'll probably upgrade my 055 legs to something carbon, but not in a hurry for that at all.

Michael
photohiker

Postby robert on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:29 pm

congrats on the markins- saving my pennies....
Can they really take that type of weight- its ~5x what most other heads can cope with- I mean 40Kg!! My 8x10 LF outfit is 12kg.

I'm coming round to the buy once philosphy.
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby photohiker on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:43 pm

robert wrote:congrats on the markins- saving my pennies....
Can they really take that type of weight- its ~5x what most other heads can cope with- I mean 40Kg!! My 8x10 LF outfit is 12kg.

I'm coming round to the buy once philosphy.

Actually, I'm not sure I could lift 40kgs onto the tripod, or that my tripod could take 40kgs...

I have a Q3 on my hiking tripod, very happy with that and I was going to buy a M10 for the other tripod, but the difference M10 to M20 is so relatively small ($US 50) that I thought what the heck. Buy once.

I'd take the figures with a grain of salt, but it sure looks like it could take anything.

Michael
photohiker

Return to General Discussion